Gas smell at rear

Creekkid

So after filling up recently I noticed there is a strong gas smell coming from the rear of the truck.

Had a look underneath can't see any leakage.

Where does the gas tank vent its vapors to?

Maybe something with that.

Any ideas?

Chances are it's either the sending unit on top of the tank, or the fuel vent hose where it attaches to the tank. I've had both leak slightly, causing a strong fuel smell at the back of the truck.

it could be anything man. it could be tube that runs to the front got pinched or just rusted out or whatever.. you will just have too look harder and more closely. if it was after a fill up, you most likely spilt some and that's what you were smelling

Like Simon mentioned, I had the oring on the top where the sending unit mounts go bad on mine and it was leaking out the top, but you could not see it till I opened the access panel in the cargo floor.

There's an access panel in the floor?

So I know for sure that it's not from spilled gas.

Getting to the top of gas tanks is always such a pain in the ass.

Is there really an access panel.

That would kind of make it a little easier for inspection.

Have to check it out.

definatly pull the carpet up in the back and pull the acess panel, see that often(not just pathys) around here. check the filler tube and vent tube as well real good. i cant recall if its in the fenderwell making it prone to all the elements(i know it is in my eclipse having changed it a couple times for that reason)

So after filling up recently I noticed there is a strong gas smell coming from the rear of the truck.

Had a look underneath can't see any leakage.

Where does the gas tank vent its vapors to?

Maybe something with that.

Any ideas?

2 months ago i got a recall notice in the mail about a leaky fuel filler hose. they said the rubber can deteriorate with prolonged exposure to cold and subsequent salting of the roadways. it was free to get it inspected, and of course free to fix as needed. i live in texas and didn't have that problem, but if you have a late-model R50 (i have a 00), it may be something to look into. free repairs ftw

That recall is this one...

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...l+filler+recall

It doesnt apply to his vehicle, but look around for any leaks. Did you top off the tank when you filled up? If you did it may leak out a little without you knowing. Its all pretty easy to inspect. Pull the left rear wheel and removed the cover on the back of the wheel well and inspect the hoses. Then lift up rear carpet on the right(may have to unbolt cargo hooks), removed bolts for cover and look at top of tank to see what you can find.

Hey thanks everybody.

I'll be checking it out this weekend, I always seem too tied up with everything else during the week lately to spend much time on this these last couple days. I'll get it.

Just fixed the pins in the rear tire carrier last weekend.

Looks like I have to do the BJ's too. Gotta add that to the list of things to do.....oh yeah put those new rear springs in too....

Talk later

Edited by Creekkid

Flash back memory:

On my 1990 240SX:

The section of black rubber line in the fuel return hose between solid line and fuel filler basically dissolved when CA started requiring ethanol addition. Only that one line - all others were fine.

It is always possible some of this rubber line ended up on Pathies as well....

So yeah, lift the carpet, pull the access cover and look for signs of leaking on the sending unit cover AND check all the flexible lines as well.