Front end seems low

Guest Handyman

Guest Handyman

New to the forums and my current Pathfinder and I have a couple questions about it.. I just bought a 95 Pathfinder with the adjustable shocks and the front end seems to sit lower then the back.. Is this normal? Also seems to be lower on the passenger side.

Is there anyway to raise the front end a little without a lift of any kind?

I use to have a 88 Pathfinder and did not seem to sit the way this one does....As im driving i see ones that sit like mine and yet others that seem to be up a little more in the front

Any help on this would be great thanks in advance...

Oh and Nice community you have going here

Yep, search for torsion bar cranking and you'll get some info on raising your front end. Pathfinders do have a little of a nose-down tilt to them, I believe its so they're more stable at highway speeds or something to that effect. As for your passenger side being lower, I don't know what the problem could be there...?

his torsion bar on that side is probably out of whack

check the notices in the garage topics and you should find out how to adjust them to equal height

Guest Handyman

Thanks guys for all the links helps out a lot.......Little pissed i just got my alignment done however lol

Oh well i will just do it again

If im going to put the 3'' body lift on should i wait to adjust the torsion bars and do alignment again?

I plan to crank the torsion bars of my Path tomorrow morning.

I guess it's just like yours, don't know if more sagged. I measured it today and the front end is 28.5"(passenger) and 28.75"(driver's side) high. My tires are 255/75R15, which would be about 30" unloaded... well, the fender flares hide about 1" of the tires.

I hope I can get 2" of lift.

Ha, that's funny, my tk is just the opposite. the front end is higher then the rear end and it does lean a bit toward the passengers rear. It's my rear springs though. worn out. no time for that project right now...

Well, I did it yesterday.

Cranked the torsion bars so now my Path is 30" high, about 1" taller than on Saturday. But the passengers side height still lay 1/4" below the driver's side height.

I'll drive it for a while more, and maybe on Wednesday I tight the t-bars a little more, half an inch would be good.

This will add an extra time for me to save money for a more expensive lift, maybe changing the torsion bars and/or the UCAs.

Well, I did it yesterday.

Cranked the torsion bars so now my Path is 30" high, about 1" taller than on Saturday. But the passengers side height still lay 1/4" below the driver's side height.

I'll drive it for a while more, and maybe on Wednesday I tight the t-bars a little more, half an inch would be good.

This will add an extra time for me to save money for a more expensive lift, maybe changing the torsion bars and/or the UCAs.

It's common for either the drivers side or passenger side torsion bars to sag more than the otheras the years go by. When you crank them, one side may require more turns than the other to even it out as you know. If you are still having problems with one side sagging and not going any higher, re-indexing the bars should cure that hopefully.

When you crank them, one side may require more turns than the other to even it out as you know.

Do any of you remember or ever have an idea of how many turns you did when cranking the torsion bars? I thought I've read someone talkin'about it, but couldn't find the topic.

I did five for now. I'm thinking of doing more two turns... :unsure:

Do any of you remember or ever have an idea of how many turns you did when cranking the torsion bars? I thought I've read someone talkin'about it, but couldn't find the topic.

I did five for now. I'm thinking of doing more two turns... :unsure:

Mine was alot! Lol. It really depends on the condition of the T-bars. You should be measuring as you go along to get the desired height.

If you aren't already (but probably are) park on a level surface and then pick a spot on the frame (or another surface) and measure to the ground for both drivers side and passenger side. One side may need more turns than the other to get equal heights.

Yes, I measured, and I did lift it about 1"1/4 each side.

I thought I read someone say that started with 4 turns.

I'm afraid of tightening too much. But I did 5 and I guess I can do more, so I'll turn maybe 2 on driver's and 3 on passenger's side (which is already a little bit lower) and run a few miles with the car to test.

I cranked it more so it's 3/4" higher now. It's 1"3/4 than before I began cranking the torsion bars. :D

I've been thinking of reindexing it, but I didn't understand well how to do it. I'm gonna look the topics and links about it and maybe I'll do it a little bit. :unsure:

Guest Handyman

So is there a max of how many turns to put on the bars.... I have turned my driver side 4 and my passenger side 7 to bring it 1/4 inch off of each other now.. Would like to get them even however but dont want to screw something up

Start points

Driver side 15''

Passenger side 14 1/4

Ending points

Driver Side 15 1/4

Passenger side 15

This after 4 turns on Driver and 7 on the passenger which seems Bad to me

Advice WATNED : )

I measured from the ground to the fender flare, but since the measure from the ground to the center of the rim is not affected, I subtracted it (14" in mine).

Start points

Driver side 14"3/4

Passenger side 14"1/4

Ending points

Driver Side 16"1/4

Passenger side 16"

Turns

Driver Side 7 1/2

Passenger Side 8 1/2

The torsion bars max out when they max out at the adjuster. If you can't crank them up anymore, then re-indexing is required. The number of turns on the adjuster bolt aren't as important as the overall ride height, in any case.

Hi guys.This are all new to me and please excuse my newbie questions.What is indexing? Is there an instruction on doing this besides cranking the T bar? My 93 pathy sits lower in the front too and im not planning on getting any lift for it for now.

I just want it to sit even with the back. Also in cranking the Tbar what tool do it use for that?

Thanks fellas.

I don't think you need any special tools to crank your torsion bars. Reindexing is sort of like "resetting" your torsion bars after you've cranked 'em up, or if they're sagging a little bit. Search for "reindexing". ;) How come you want the whole thing to be level? Just wondering.

It shouldn't unless your front torsion bars are seriously sagging. If you say that the back end is WAY up then that must be the case and you're going to have to crank your torsion bars up. If you're worried about 31's fitting under your front fenders, then you definitely have a sagging issue, as some Pathfinders [like mine] came with 31" tires stock.

I don't think you need any special tools to crank your torsion bars.

Yeah, I used only the jack and jack stands to lift and support the vehicle, wd-40 to free the nuts, and a 10mm wrench. Or two... the lock nut and the adjuster nut where turning together ;)