Mazda Rotary Engine

RowdoggNZ

What is everyones perspective on the mazda rotary engine, namely 12a, 13b with porting to make them go brap brap brap brap.

Me personally: I HATE THEM WITH A ROYAL PASSION!!!!!!!

You need to look past the sound the make and look into the engine dynamics. A Ported 13B can make a reliable 200 hp and is a very small package weighing in at ~250 lbs. Adding a turbo set-up can easily add 100 hp on pump gas. The biggest drawback to this design is the high emissions output due to the combustion chamber design.

Also, the sound you are hearing is most likely not the port timing and more a function of the exhaust.

Bigmatt

theres a local RX7 made out of carbon fiber body.... 3 rotor cosmo motor from Japan..... 800 hp

I smoked him in autocross in a little 1.6L Honda Civic Si

(the guy cant drive for sh*t)

My brother had an RX-7 until it was wrecked. He got pissed at it a few times and tried to overrev it...tach went up to around 10,000 RPM and came right back down after, no problem. Big cloud of black smoke drifting away... Hehehe.

What is everyones perspective on the mazda rotary engine, namely 12a, 13b with porting to make them go brap brap brap brap.

Me personally: I HATE THEM WITH A ROYAL PASSION!!!!!!!

Works for him ;)

Member Name: RX-4X4

av-2072.jpg

I love the idea and concept of the engine it's self, I just hate the noise of a truck sized exhaust yelling "WANK WANK WANK WANK WANK WANK"

NSU went on to produce the first rotary engined cars in the 1960's with the NSU Wankel Spider and the NSU Ro80. Rotary engines were also used in marine applications.

Yeah i guess its a good concept, the apex seals i know are a huge problem from what i have gathered. I will give the concept grace for the power to weight ratio on the engines. I mean put it this way. i know a guy that reckons he put his 12a in b1000 ute and he got two mates to hold it up while he bolted it in. Good luck doing that with a 1000 4cyl let alone a 400cube v8 lol.

The noise just irritates the @!*% out of me ae. Its so hard to look past such an irritating noise. I mean @!*% who does that.

Works for him ;)

Member Name: RX-4X4

av-2072.jpg

not any more.. its out.. and a toyota drive train is going in as we speek.

Thats my best friends jason.

in a 4x4.. don't do it, trust me.. i tried to talk jason out of it.

they dont last.. i know somebody posted that they do, that is BS.. the BLOCK.. is indistructable.. yes. but its a 100k mile engine.. no more.

if you wanna race it, open up the port, remove ALL vaccume lines, header, ect. and they will scream

I've never owned a rotary, and don't plan on it but i agree from what i have heard those are teh 3 biggest problems.. i also agree on the 100000km engine thing, from factory a recommendation is an engine rebuild every 50000kms :O

I studied the Wankel with my lil bro, who's been shopping for an RX7 for a couple years.

They have potential, but I don't trust them. It's not that they're complicated, they're just more of a PITA than a good ol' fashion inline or boxer.