Pre wheeling checklist

msavides

I am going to be putting together a Pre wheeling checklist of things that need to be check prior to a wheeling trip. I thought you guys could help me out, This way I can avoid missing some crucial stuff. We already have a "things to take with you on a wheeling trip" list, so I thought this should be a good Idea as well. Feel free to chime in with some things that should be checked out on your rig.

Mark

Edited by msavides

hmm.. my vehicle check list goes pretty much as follows (and i'm sure i am going to miss a couple thigns)

Exterior:

all lights work

fender flares/mud flaps attached/removed (personal choice there)

no sharp protruding objects from fenders a stuffed tire may get damaged on :rolleyes:

bumpers and exterior additions not about to fall off

check tire pressures and condition of tires/rims/tightness of lug nuts

Interior:

all wheeling "accessories" are loaded up in the back and secured

Registration, insurance and AAA card are in glove box

all gauges on dash working properly

test the transfer case/4wd is engaging and fully functional

Under the truck:

all bolts/nuts attached and tight

check all lines/wires to make sure nothing is hanging down to get ripped off on rocks, or up against anything that will melt it

check condition of said lines/wires

suspension is in good/working condition, nothing broken/leaking

Under the hood:

check and top up all fluids

check security of battery (hehe)

check for any frayed wires or loose connections

check belts

check motor mounts

that's all i can remember for now...... i can't find my "wheelin check list" at the moment...... when i do i'll post it.

Good list Slick

Might I add, I like to test my alternator and give it a good pre-spray to prevent mud and dirt sticking to it. Also, don't forget to let people know where you are going and when you should be back. NEVER GO ALONE unless help is close by!!!

don't forget to check you spare tire pressure too!

Edited by skrillaguerilla

Good list Slick

Might I add, I like to test my alternator and give it a good pre-spray to prevent mud and dirt sticking to it. Also, don't forget to let people know where you are going and when you should be back. NEVER GO ALONE unless help is close by!!!

don't forget to check you spare tire pressure too!

pre spray with what? i'm curious.

i hope there's no mud at raines. i hate mud :thumbsdown:

hehehe. i shall show you the mud. but you can choose to sit on the sidelines...... :tonguefinger:

Tool bag, check

suspension and steering bolts tight, check

Wheels on tight, check

Fluids OK, check

Grease ALL u-joints, check

Beer in the cooler, check and.. oh get another box.. just in case

cooler with food

tool bag

spareparts

check tires

check fluids

a jug of water just incase

a fire extingisher

a comealong and towstrap if you dont have a winch

make sure your tow points are all good

listen to your engine for a couple minutes to listen to it run make sure everything is fine... and thats about it, oh and tell someone your goin

celly and charger

highlift jack

Edited by Nissyota88

VEHICLE PRE-TRIP CHECKLIST

from UFWDA

Whenever you plan to take your vehicle off-pavement it is a wise idea to perform a pre-trip inspection. The following is a recommended pre-trip checklist which should be reviewed prior to driving off-highway.

Air Cleaner

Battery (check water level, charge level, corrosion, lose cables, secure mounting)

Brake fluid

Brakes (pedal play, fluid level, leaking cylinders)

Emergency brake

Cooling system hoses and connections

Drive belts (fan, alternator, wear and tension),

Engine oil levels and filter

Exhaust pipes, muffler and mountings

Fuel lines and fuel filter (check for leaks and clogged filter)

Fuel supply

Lighting (head and taillights, brake, backup as well as turn signals) Power steering fluid

Radiator coolant level

Shock absorbers (bounce test, leaks, shock mounts)

Tires (check in advance for pressure, damage, wear)

Spare tire (tire pressure should be at least as high as the highest recommended pressure)

Steering system (linkage, ball joints, power steering pump, fluid and belts)

Trip Plan

Wheel bearings

Wiring (check for lose, dirty or broken wire)

* MAKE SURE ALL LOOSE ITEMS INSIDE OF VEHICLE ARE SECURELY TIED DOWN.

man, if i did ALL that before a wheeling trip.. i'd never be wheeling. Most of those items should never even be an issue. if they are, your rig is having a sever lack of maintanance

silicone as it somewhat makes a water-resistant coating. you should also rinse it out with water asap after going through mud or chocolate milk

never spray your alternator when the car is running. if you spray it with something flammable (wd40) you run the risk of burning yourself. :FartExplode-vi:

Thanks for the help you guys,

Here is my final list.

If you see anything I missed that should not be left off the list please let me know.

My truck is in relatively good condition so some things I did not feel so important to check.

Keep in mine this list is just a vehicle checklist. My list of items to load into the truck is separate.

PreWheeling Checklist

Check all fluids (Top off if necessary)

Check Spare tire Pressure

Inspect Tires for damage

Check Lug nuts for proper torque

Inspect suspension and steering for excess play

Grease all zerk fittings

Check windshield wipers (replace if necessary)

Check operation of lights

Check functionality of 4WD

Make sure Battery is secured

Check condition of Belts

Check Fire Extinguisher

Test CB Radio

Test ARB Lockers and Onboard Air

Install equipment Cage (secures equipment in back)

Check inventory of First Aid kit (restock if necessary)

Apply Mud-OFF

does anyone think it's a big deal that my front suspension creaks when i go over speed bumps? i only hear it when i go over speed bumps cuz i go over those slow n low. it sounds like someone's taking bubblewrap (the kind that you get in packages) and wringing them like a wet towel.

i'd assume it has something to do w/ my new uca's or shocks, since i just did my suspension lift about a month ago.

any ideas?

does anyone think it's a big deal that my front suspension creaks when i go over speed bumps? i only hear it when i go over speed bumps cuz i go over those slow n low. it sounds like someone's taking bubblewrap (the kind that you get in packages) and wringing them like a wet towel.

i'd assume it has something to do w/ my new uca's or shocks, since i just did my suspension lift about a month ago.

any ideas?

Mine was doing the same thing when I first got it. On mine it was the steering stops. I went to the dealer and bought 4 new caps for my steering stops. And it has not done it since. Mine only did it when I was turning and hit a bump. You can test this buy applying a little grease to the stops and the metal that the stop rubs on. If the noise goes away than it is probably your stops. You suppose to keep them greased anyways.

another thing it could be If I remember correctly, there are 2 large bolts under the front end, I can't remember where exactly they were at. But they might be loose and causing a similar sound. Mine were tight and it had no effect on the noise.

The noise I am talking about has been described as tearing metal, or screeching metal sound. Not sure if that is what your hearing.

Mark

Edited by msavides