pagging 88pathy

That was on Les's truck. He has a one-off steering setup with Heims and spherical bearings. My steering was from L&P when they were in business. Hoohaa makes a damn fine centerlink replacement just like the L&P guys used to make, get in touch with him for more on that.

That was on Les's truck. He has a one-off steering setup with Heims and spherical bearings. My steering was from L&P when they were in business. Hoohaa makes a damn fine centerlink replacement just like the L&P guys used to make, get in touch with him for more on that.

who les? :shiftyeyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I personally don't think the TK-1 mod fixes anything on the steering. I've replaced everything on my truck's steering, with an L&P upgrade. When I went wheeling at Harlan in February I noticed that both my truck and my buddy Jay's truck (both L&P equipped) were both suffering from "pigeon toe"

You can see it in this picture:

normal_DSC01945.JPG

Edited by tucdatruck

It doesn't stop the flex (pigeon toe), but it does stop the breaking and bending of components when you do stress the front. At RTCC, I saw a Frontier with the L&P kit (Luv2ski's) at max pigeon toe and full throttle spinning. Soon as he let off the throttle, it was just fine. Stock components,, in the same situation would look like pretzels.

It doesn't stop the flex (pigeon toe), but it does stop the breaking and bending of components when you do stress the front. At RTCC, I saw a Frontier with the L&P kit (Luv2ski's) at max pigeon toe and full throttle spinning. Soon as he let off the throttle, it was just fine. Stock components,, in the same situation would look like pretzels.

Gotcha. I just didn't notice that problem with Rob's Pathfinder equipped with the Calmini setup.

how does the one-off steering setup work?

advantages?

Better yet whats the advantage of replacing TREs with Heim Joints?

Edited by MY1PATH

It replaced the stock centerlink with one that doesn't allow torsional flex, which lets the tie rods bend themselves unto umbrella handles. With little to no torsional twist, the tie rods live longer and your steering doesn't need adjustments/alignment after every trail run. Heims are about 100% stronger than tie rods. The whole idea is to strengthen the steering so it will take abuse better.

It replaced the stock centerlink with one that doesn't allow torsional flex, which lets the tie rods bend themselves unto umbrella handles. With little to no torsional twist, the tie rods live longer and your steering doesn't need adjustments/alignment after every trail run. Heims are about 100% stronger than tie rods. The whole idea is to strengthen the steering so it will take abuse better.

I have a hoohaa CL do you think reaming out my tapers and convering to heim joints is a good idea?

I have a hoohaa CL do you think reaming out my tapers and convering to heim joints is a good idea?

Some states heim joints in the steering is not street legal. If you so want heims for your TREs, be sure to get the expensive ones that are both greasable and servicable. I had a friend with all heim steering (the cheap kind) and every little movement was a squeek from them.

• 8 months later...
are there any links or how to's to this heim setup???

It is a custom thing, no one makes them pre-made for our trucks (at least I'm pretty sure they don't). To make a heim link you need:

1 left hand thread heim

1 right hand thread heim

1 left hand threaded tube end

1 right hand threaded tube end

1 piece of steel tube cut to length

That is just to make a single link, you would need 2, one per side. Not to mention the proper bolts, spacers etc. You would also need to make a custom center link to accomodate the heim ends. What works best there is to make a single long link, ream out the idler and pitman then use a single long bolt to attach the tie rod and the center link together on each end.