Very Strange Noise

Kittamaru

Aight, I am getting this very, very odd noise... only recent that I heard it as with the heat all my windows are open...

When I drive slowly, I hear a sound like what you would hear if you ran over a plastic soda bottle... just I can't find any bottle in or around the wheels! :P

Any ideas on what the hell part could do that?

Definately front...

Only thing I did was lift the droopy front end... it's about 2 inches higher than normal via tweaked T-bars...

The rubber boots on I guess the CV shafts (not sure thats the right name) are HIGHLY compressed at the top and extended at the bottom - could the old rubber be making that noise?

Heat shields are in good condition... breaks are great. Wheel bearings are good I think (just had it inspected... is that normally done via inspection?)

Definately front...

Only thing I did was lift the droopy front end... it's about 2 inches higher than normal via tweaked T-bars...

The rubber boots on I guess the CV shafts (not sure thats the right name) are HIGHLY compressed at the top and extended at the bottom - could the old rubber be making that noise?

Heat shields are in good condition... breaks are great. Wheel bearings are good I think (just had it inspected... is that normally done via inspection?)

Your in PA, the insp. mech. is SUPPOSED to check for wheelbearing issues.

It's gone away now... no farking clue...

Take a plastic soda bottle, empty.

Take the cap off.

Drop it on the floor and step on it a bunch of times.

That is, EXACTLY, the sound I was getting... but continuous, like it was being rolled/squeezed between something... happened ONLY at under 4mph (only time you could hear it anyway) straight, turning hard left or right, or gently turning, fowards or reverse, 2WD and 4WD... but now it's gone as far as I can tell... *shrugs*

It's gone away now... no farking clue...

Take a plastic soda bottle, empty.

Take the cap off.

Drop it on the floor and step on it a bunch of times.

That is, EXACTLY, the sound I was getting... but continuous, like it was being rolled/squeezed between something... happened ONLY at under 4mph (only time you could hear it anyway) straight, turning hard left or right, or gently turning, fowards or reverse, 2WD and 4WD... but now it's gone as far as I can tell... *shrugs*

Sounds like you had a rock stuck in the tire tread. They work themselves out, but make a hell of a racket when they're in there.

My little front end noise was from part of the Air Box. When I installed the JWT PopCharger, I did not completely remove all of the Air Box, specifically the plastic part that goes into the drivers quarter panel... took me a long time to figure out what was making that horific rattling sound.... Once removed no more strange font end noise.

My mechanic took a look at it (free of charge) and, after looking under the truck for all of two seconds, said it's likely the CV joints / boots.

They are at a very extreme angle due to the lift I put on - apparently I severely overshot when tweaking the T-bars (the front end is higher than the back end now)

I'll lower the front an inch or two and see if it helps... I'll need to look into UCA's I assume?

I just tried a search, but didn't find what I was looking for - I'd like to lift both the front and back a little... eventually, i want to go with a full suspension lift. Is it possible to fix the problem with my CV's by installing new control arms? Or would that not affect it at all?

*shrugs* I may just lower her back down and then do the true suspension lift via calmini or rancho or someone like that :) Any suggestions?

Edited by Kittamaru

My mechanic took a look at it (free of charge) and, after looking under the truck for all of two seconds, said it's likely the CV joints / boots.

They are at a very extreme angle due to the lift I put on - apparently I severely overshot when tweaking the T-bars (the front end is higher than the back end now)

I'll lower the front an inch or two and see if it helps... I'll need to look into UCA's I assume?

I just tried a search, but didn't find what I was looking for - I'd like to lift both the front and back a little... eventually, i want to go with a full suspension lift. Is it possible to fix the problem with my CV's by installing new control arms? Or would that not affect it at all?

*shrugs* I may just lower her back down and then do the true suspension lift via calmini or rancho or someone like that :) Any suggestions?

How about showing us some pics bud so we know what we're looking at?

I'm thinking maybe my old auto hubs never unlocked? I don't hear a click since the lift when I disengage them and backup... *sighs softly*

I'll lower it and see if it fixes it... pics... as soon as I get a way to do so... my damned camera stopped working with the PC :(

I'm thinking maybe my old auto hubs never unlocked? I don't hear a click since the lift when I disengage them and backup... *sighs softly*

I'll lower it and see if it fixes it... pics... as soon as I get a way to do so... my damned camera stopped working with the PC :(

Use your cell phone bud, I think everyone has a camera phone by now.

My cell phone can't upload to my PC... sadly I dont' have the connectors for it.

I'll get some up... somehow...

You don't need connects, just send the message from your phone to your email addy. And then grab the pics outta your email, upload them to the internet, and you should be good.

Heh, I don't have a data transfer plan... my fiance and I went with a very basic plan because it was what we could afford at the time.

You shouldn't even need a data transfer plan. It will send like a text message. It might even be a text message depending on your phone.

*shakes his head* without a data plan, i get charged something stupid like 50 cents per KB sent *shrugs*

I got my digital working again - I'll get pictures today

*shakes his head* without a data plan, i get charged something stupid like 50 cents per KB sent *shrugs*

I got my digital working again - I'll get pictures today

Who is your cell phone service provider? Seriously bud, I'd rethink that plan.

The pictures will have to wait :(

My father attempted suicide yesterday... *sighs* I don't have much time for personal pleasures at the moment...

Damn Kitta, sorry to hear that. I know how hard that can be. Any luck getting pics?

• 4 weeks later...