Pathy just got broken into - tips on securing a sub woofer?

BobLoblaw

Hey guys, some $%^$%!#@$ got into my Pathy a few days ago and stole just the faceplate (why? I don't know) and the sub, and a few other things. I have recently got a new deck and sub.

My question to you is: What is the best way/place to screw down the sub box so that it can't be removed easily or quickly? I thought that some of the spare tire mounting points (they aren't in use right now) could be used but I wanted to see if you guys had experience with this stuff first. I also heard there was some 'velco-straps' that could be used, but I'm not sure about that. To tell you the truth, car stereos are not my strong suit. I just want a potential thief to see that the sub ain't going anywhere!!! Any tips on this would be appreciated.

Tint your windows such that they can't see in. This will reduce theft chances.

Other than bolting the sub to the floor, there's no good way to secure it that a thief won't defeat in a few seconds with a crowbar or knife.

i always remove my faceplate when i am somewhere other than at home or work.... and i hide the remote control. my windows are tinted dark, so it's VERY hard to see my subs/amps. my graphic equalizer is in the glovebox.

you could bolt the subs to the floor.... but other than that, as above, if they want them, they're gunna get them.

:shrug: ive never had problems... i drive with my windows down and the top off all the time, i even park it in the parking spots with windows down and stuff... im not that worried about it, pathys are cheap :D and if anyone trys to fawk with me.. i got a baseball bat in a handy spot to grab :tonguefinger:

Hey guys, some $%^$%!#@$ got into my Pathy a few days ago and stole just the faceplate (why? I don't know) and the sub, and a few other things. I have recently got a new deck and sub.

My question to you is: What is the best way/place to screw down the sub box so that it can't be removed easily or quickly? I thought that some of the spare tire mounting points (they aren't in use right now) could be used but I wanted to see if you guys had experience with this stuff first. I also heard there was some 'velco-straps' that could be used, but I'm not sure about that. To tell you the truth, car stereos are not my strong suit. I just want a potential thief to see that the sub ain't going anywhere!!! Any tips on this would be appreciated.

Weave some fishing line with fish hooks into you amp and sub wiring Harness. maybe you will catch a live one.

tinted windows do help, but they also have a huge down fall since window tint is a film when you break the window it doesn't completely shatter its also quieter when it does break, instead the tint film holds it in place and you can just pull the window out completely. trust me ive done this a few times (at local junk yards of course :shiftyeyes: ) the only anti theft device i have is the dummy alarm which was once the stock one but no longer works only the light blinks haha, and of course i have an 8 inch boot knife and ball bat in my truck well those aren't really theft deterrents. but yeah i suppose some L bracets and some screws might help alittle, i also cover my subs up with a blanket that matches the color of my carpet i think it helps alittle

don't bolt it down or attach it...they're in your truck already so if they want it they could give a @!*% about the vehicle they're pulling it out of they will break anything and everything its attached to to get it out...they possibly stole another radio that was missing a faceplate and needed your faceplate to work or they did it ot just piss you off...

how did they get in btw? I've never been able to get a slim jim to open the pathy...I've opened almost every other car out there with one but could never get into the pathy

i always remove my faceplate when i am somewhere other than at home or work.... and i hide the remote control. my windows are tinted dark, so it's VERY hard to see my subs/amps. my graphic equalizer is in the glovebox.

you could bolt the subs to the floor.... but other than that, as above, if they want them, they're gunna get them.

Exactly. If they can't see them, they're not likely to break in to steal them.

This is what mine looks like:

IMG_0848.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

Good luck seeing what's in the back from outside. :D

Edited by GhostPath

to a thief i think tent means theyr'es something in here I dont want you to see so they'll break in anyways...my roommate never had problems iwth his car until he tinted the windows then they broke in and stole all of his tools and sub left the amp and head unit so we think he walked out on them

Thanks for all the tips guys, I have put a blanket over it for now.

The reason I can't really do the tinting yet, is because I'm planning on replacing my rear hatch (anyone got a good BLACK rear hatch?), and I want the glass from the donor hatch (maybe the rear defrost will work on the new glass!!!).

It was definitely amateur night with this robbery. The guy stole just the faceplate, the change in my ashtray, the sub (left the amp which was screwed to the back of my rear seats), and put a couple cigarettes out on the carpet. My gf swore she locked all the doors, which I believe, but I think she left one of the rear windows down partially. Her mistake cost me another $400. :ar15: If only this happened near Valentine's day or her birthday, I might be able to salvage this situation in a positive way and say that all the new equipment is a "gift".

BTW, if anyone ever come across a Panasonic CQC5305 faceplate, let me know!

cqc5305.jpg

I've gotten into many d-21 pickups and wd-21 pathfinders with the Big Easy tool(I drive wrecker, not a car theif), they are actually easy. If you don't want the box to go anywhere, fill it with a little concrete. You may laugh but it definatly deters people. I did it in an Olds Cutlass I had, my trunk was broken into 3 times and the only thing I lost was someone stole a bent golf club I had in the trunk.

I don't know about where you guys all live, but if your box and amp are bolted down to your vehicle, you can claim it under insurance, since it's a "part" of the vehicle. If it's not bolted down, then you can't... but you can always drill holes and act like it was. I believe it's covered under home insurance here. Anyway. Bolt down your box from the INSIDE of the box. Then install your sub with some torx head fasteners. Use the same fasteners for your amp. Hide your faceplate under your seat if you don't feel like taking it with you everywhere.

BTW, if anyone ever come across a Panasonic CQC5305 faceplate, let me know!

cqc5305.jpg

you should check for it on your local craigslist or something. or ebay. maybe someone's stupid enough to try and sell it in the same area that you live in. then when you go to buy it from him/her you can punch him/her in the face and take your faceplate back.

i know someone who got their dirtbike stolen and they checked craigslist after it was stolen and found an ad for the same bike posted like an hour after it was ripped off. some people are retarded.

Its all about deterring the thief and making it as plain and obvious as possible that you are doing so. Don't crank your stereo around home (your neighbors will approve!), don't flaunt it with stickers and stuff, and try to park in well lit public areas. Tint + alarm + lots of flashing LED lights wired into the alarm system are a VERY good start. I added several to my alarm system, bright as can be. No, its doesn't solve things in the middle of nowhere, but it helps make them think. Most thiefs are looking for the easiest path possible, something to get into and out of as quick and easily (quietly) as possible.

After that, keep things out of sight, be it a blanket, cargo area cover, etc. Mount any amps or components out of sight, cause the Unique Whips stuff will get you jacked. Finally, make your stuff hard to take... bolt it down... repeatedly. You'd have to sit there for 10 min to unbolt my stuff without an 800lb gorilla to help. A normal thief is looking for a grab and go, regardless of the vehicle. If its a grab + crowbar + get a couple friends + a bolt or cable cutter, they'll walk away. Yeah, they might cut up or mess your stuff up, but they won't be back for sure.

you should check for it on your local craigslist or something. or ebay. maybe someone's stupid enough to try and sell it in the same area that you live in. then when you go to buy it from him/her you can punch him/her in the face and take your faceplate back.

i know someone who got their dirtbike stolen and they checked craigslist after it was stolen and found an ad for the same bike posted like an hour after it was ripped off. some people are retarded.

Not sure what you paid for it originally, this probably isn't cost effective at ALL, but here ya go. Scroll to middle of page and look for YESSDF0197 DETACHABLE FACEPLATE