HID's and a 97 pathy

I want sum too. Are the lens covers clear on the '97's. The WD's have textured lens covers and I've heard they won't work without replacing them.

R50s are the same, any R50 headlight should NOT have HID installed unless you retrofit a projector or a new housing that won't scatter the light...your light pattern will be all over the place and you will blind other drivers...a projector retro would be cool though

A buddy of mine installed a set in his 94 Camry that has the same style lens as our pathys. They work great and they dont blind the other drivers. I have driven past him at night and they dont bother me anymore than regular lights. But they offer great visibility and look cool too. I am not really into the cool part as much as getting the most lighting as possible.

Those lenses are different then a pathfinder...Ive seen pictures of the light output and the light is scattered all over the place, including other drivers eyes...I wish it wasn't because I would do this in a heartbeat but unfortunately the reflector design on the pathfinder isnt compatible...this is just IMHO of course...

to bad we don't live in some other countries i think dean has a set on his designed for the pathfinder

Yea, they are from NZ I believe, but Im sure Japan has them as well...I was pricing them and the best I got was round 1k...Ill pass

You know, in all honesty I don't care about blinding others. :wackinit:

I've only heard they aren't compatable for that reason. I seriously am wondering how many people really know first hand. It may be a little brighter to on-coming cars and that creates a bunch of mindless hype.

But on the other hand if you spent over $100 dollars on an upgrade and start getting tickets and fail inspections then it's buyer beware.

You know, in all honesty I don't care about blinding others. :wackinit:

So you're the jackass that I am forced to fire up my 100w IPF's at. You'll care when one of the people you've blinded hits you head on.

No its ok, I am an uncaring jackass...I've got 4 100W offroad lights too (holy sh!t you're not alone), but I have no high-beams & no HIDs lightbulbs, so no, I was not that person you had to "fire up" your lights on...besides I'd rather fire up my new toy, rather than a couple of silly lights anyhow...

And you're wrong, if I were to be hit head on, chances are I would not care, because I'd probably be dead.

But I digress & don't take offense, I'm not purposelly trying to be a jerk (I guess somehow, accidentally it just happens), so lets get back to the topic at hand (before I am kicked off of another forum)

• 2 years later...

I'm most likely to be the guy that Simon wanna fire up his off-road lights on, hahaha... I installed HIDs on the headlights and fog lights.

HID4-1.jpg

HID5-1.jpg

The headlights have a 55W, 6000K, Hi/Lo (High beam halogen, low beam hid in a single bulb), H4 bulb. The fog lights have a 35W, 8000K, H3 bulb. I didn't modify the headlights and fog lights. They contain factory halogen reflectors,. The HID produces a lot of glare towards oncoming drivers. When you install HIDs on normal halogen housings, you'll see two bright spots (the aim from the left and right bulbs) and another bright spot where the glares intersect. The halogen housings are meant to spread the halogen beams that are dimmer than Xenon. While you might blind the oncoming drivers, the glare that bounces off enable you to see road signs and road side more clearly. The HIDs are better suited for projector housings that have cut offs (little to no glare at all above the cut off). You don't piss anyone off and will be able to see the road very clearly as all the beams are focused on the road. But you won't be able to see the signs, etc as brightly.

My fix to this problem is to aim the lights real low - lower than usual especially since the pathy has a higher stance than most sedan. I've driven right behind cops and around the street with the HIDs for the past one year or so. In my opinion, with all the reflected glares that bounce off the road (since the beams are focused real low), you'll still be able to see farther and wider than the halogen lights. As well, after hitting a couple of trails and have mud stains in my headlights, the beams are light brown instead of cool white, hahaha...

One problem I've encountered with the HIDs are that it requires ballasts. The conversion is not always perfect and when I turn the lights on, 99% of the time, one of the lights will not light up. I've to turn it on and off a couple of times or use the high beams for a bit and switch it back to low beam, then the HIDs will kick in. My friends who install HIDs in their vehicles also encounter the same problem, even after using the relays. Its no big deal if you're in the parking lot, but on the road, I'll be looking for reflections off someone's rear bumper. And you might have electrical connections when you hit mudholes (i.e. my fog lights). They short circuit themselves after a deep water crossing. The bulbs aren't burnt and they are still working. But once I turn them off, they will not light up until I turn them on couple hours later.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

Edited by dududuckling

I'm most likely to be the guy that Simon wanna fire up his off-road lights on, hahaha... I installed HIDs on the headlights and fog lights.

HID4-1.jpg

HID5-1.jpg

The headlights have a 55W, 6000K, Hi/Lo (High beam halogen, low beam hid in a single bulb), H4 bulb. The fog lights have a 35W, 8000K, H3 bulb. I didn't modify the headlights and fog lights. They contain factory halogen reflectors,. The HID produces a lot of glare towards oncoming drivers. When you install HIDs on normal halogen housings, you'll see two bright spots (the aim from the left and right bulbs) and another bright spot where the glares intersect. The halogen housings are meant to spread the halogen beams that are dimmer than Xenon. While you might blind the oncoming drivers, the glare that bounces off enable you to see road signs and road side more clearly. The HIDs are better suited for projector housings that have cut offs (little to no glare at all above the cut off). You don't piss anyone off and will be able to see the road very clearly as all the beams are focused on the road. But you won't be able to see the signs, etc as brightly.

My fix to this problem is to aim the lights real low - lower than usual especially since the pathy has a higher stance than most sedan. I've driven right behind cops and around the street with the HIDs for the past one year or so. In my opinion, with all the reflected glares that bounce off the road (since the beams are focused real low), you'll still be able to see farther and wider than the halogen lights. As well, after hitting a couple of trails and have mud stains in my headlights, the beams are light brown instead of cool white, hahaha...

One problem I've encountered with the HIDs are that it requires ballasts. The conversion is not always perfect and when I turn the lights on, 99% of the time, one of the lights will not light up. I've to turn it on and off a couple of times or use the high beams for a bit and switch it back to low beam, then the HIDs will kick in. My friends who install HIDs in their vehicles also encounter the same problem, even after using the relays. Its no big deal if you're in the parking lot, but on the road, I'll be looking for reflections off someone's rear bumper. And you might have electrical connections when you hit mudholes (i.e. my fog lights). They short circuit themselves after a deep water crossing. The bulbs aren't burnt and they are still working. But once I turn them off, they will not light up until I turn them on couple hours later.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

interested in where, and how much you spent, on the hid conversion kits

I know this is old news, but I was wondering if anyone actually has HID's on their R50? I think it would look sweet but I was gonna see what you guys think before I do anything.

I do, but it comes standard with 01+ QX4s. ;)

Edited by TooQForYou

I HATE IT WHEN PPL PUT HID's IN HALOGEN REFLECTORS. The light comes off HID's in a differant way than halogens so the end result is that the light goes everywhere, not just where its aimed. This includes the eyes of oncoming traffic.

HID's belong in HID reflectors or at the very least be instealled with frosted diffusers arround the bulb to correct the light patter inside the housing.

HID4-1.jpg

HID5-1.jpg

Hope that helps,

Andrew

Thanks for the help. They do look pretty awesome. I have a few jeep friends that have HID's as well and they are much brighter, but not too obnoxious. They also have the problem of them not coming on sometimes and never could figure out why. I'm gonna look into it more before I do anything.