Possible Transmission problem

Pathy

On my 94 Pathfinder, everything is fine except for when the auto tranny shifts from 2nd to 3rd, it seems like it loses power for like 2 seconds and then shifts. Its almost like i can feel the gear go out and the engine just says at that rev for like 2 seconds, and then the 3rd gear gets thrown back in. I dont think this is normal, and maybe it just needs ajustment, because all the gears (drive reverse, 1st and 2nd) engage fine. PLEASE ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT!

Hi Pathy and welcome to NPORA Forums!

Well Im not absolutly sure what is going on, but I do know that the same exact symptoms were happening to my girlfriends moms Ford Taurus, and we just kept driving it. Well 4 months later we could be going down the freeway and it would just like pop out of gear, and almost like stay in neutral usuall for 20 secs sometimes up to a minute and then it would just pop back into gear. I know this probably didn't help at all but I was just sharing my story :)

IF it's an auto trans, I would suggest taking it into a tranny shop for a rebuild. You probably just need new clutch rings but, if they are going to be in there, you may as well get a full rebuild (all clutches, any gear rings necessary, seals, etc). I lost my rear pump and subsequently trans oil pressure so my reverse gear went. From the looks of the guts when we opened it, I was on borrowed time with the rest of it. It cost be about 1500 for a full rebuild, new torque converter and a rear pump (including all labor). They threw a 5K reinspect and a 15K mile warrenty on top of it. I thought it was a good deal. Good luck.

ps. Before committing to the work, certainly a discussion with the shop should be free and provide some more insight.

• Like 1

Well, lets start with the basics. Have you checked your tranny fluid? Have you had a tranny fluid service done in past history? If you havent or cannot recall the last, I would defenetly go that route before taking it to the tranny shop............Sometimes it can be the simplest of things...........

for sure try what blizz suggested, but if it gets to the stage where you take it to a tranny shop. get the rebuid, as k9sar said. expensive yes BUT way worth it, if you are gonna keep the vehicle for a while yet (which i hope is the case!!!) its not worth doing half the job while their in there. other stuff might let go and could damage the fixed stuff.

hey guys,

thanks for the suggestions i will go get the fluid checked, and i yeah i plan on keeping it ive had it for 2 weeks and i couldnt love it anymore than i already did the first day i got it. Nothing is more fun than running over curbs and cutting off people in the school parking lot full of civics. now all i need is to fix this transmission thingy and get me some sort of life and new rims

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm having the same problem except it's when I shift from Reverse to Drive, or Drive to Reverse. It only does it the first 1 to 2 times I shift, and after it heats up a bit it doesn't do it at all. My fluid was changed recently, before I bought it, and it look good. I didn't exactly get that little test. I don't know what the heck it means, hehe. If someone could explain it I would appreciate it.

Also, what kind of after market transmission cooler do you guys recommend? What all am I going to need other than that, or does it come with the lines and such? Thanks. :help:

• 6 years later...

my 93 pathfinder v6 4wd with auto transmission will not move in first gear.it will go in second,reverse and in drive it will shift from first to second but not from second to third unless i push the overdrived button.can anyone help me with this problem?