broken dip stick..

jgt

The end of my oil dipstick decided to break off today. Is there any way to retreive it in the oil pan during the next oil change? Anyone out there w/ an extra dip stick for a '92 4x4 pathy? The auto stores don't carry them and said to goto the dealership for one. thanks, julie

How much of the dipstick broke off? I'm unsure about how the dipstick tube goes into the oil pan, but I would try a long retractable magnet stick before anything else. Might still be long enough that it's just sitting in there. If not, then I believe the front diff has to come out to remove the oil pan, along with the suspension crossmember. If I remember correctly, thats what it looked like to me when I was underneath.

I think I have an extra dip out of my 95 swap. My suggestion is a strong magnet. See if the tip fo the dip is magnetic. If it is, then when you drain your oil, slide a magnet around on the bottom of the pan and try to draw the piece to the drain hole.

its pretty easy to pull the tube... All you have to do is get a monkey/pipe wrench on the base and twist a little... and the 1 retaining bolt...

Edited by Casey.T

I think I have an extra dip out of my 95 swap. My suggestion is a strong magnet. See if the tip fo the dip is magnetic. If it is, then when you drain your oil, slide a magnet around on the bottom of the pan and try to draw the piece to the drain hole.

Genius!!!

you guys are a bunch of smart grease monkeys! Yeah, just the big squarish tip of the dipstick broke off. I'll give pulling the tube out a go tomorrow casey, thanks. If not, I'll do the magnet trick. The fact that there was already a broken tip from the 2wd motor swap *might* have something to do it breaking again or getting stuck!! duh...

The magnet idea, though ingenius, might not work (never looked at the inside of one of our pans) the pickup and baffle might be in the way.

As for a replacement, I would think the Junk Yard would be a good place to look for one.

Edited by GrimGreg

That was my first question. How'd you do that? Don't feel bad I've lost one before. :blush02:

Transferred a 2wd engine to a 4wd truck, which has a smaller oil pan. We swtiched oil pans but didn't switch dipsticks and the 2wd engine has a longer one....snapp! Thanks for the offer dagwoodzz, I'll pm you! I'd try the junkyard here, but they charged $40 for a doorlatch mechanism once, so it's not like stuff is cheap there. -julie

Edited by jgt

Just the "Hi/Low square lug broke off??? if so, pulling the tube will not get you access to it... Pulling the tube if like 4" broke off would work... but if its just the lug at the end... its what 1.5 inches long?? The Enginerd with the magnet will get you a better shot at finding it.... short of dropping the pan... again...