Oil Change

Kittamaru

Yes, I tried searching... no luck...

I... actually don't know where my oil pan is... I have two large pans under the truck, one I assume is oil, the other transmission.

Is the oil pan the smaller, taller one near the front with the bolt on the SIDE that looks to be about 1/2 inch?

Or is it the larger one near the middle of the truck with the 1 inch bolt on the bottom that's rusted tight?

Thanks for your help *blushes* Sorry to be stupid.

-Kitt

Your oil pan for you engine will be the one closer to the fron of the truck below where the engine is.

The one further back under your tranny is for your tranny.

Yes, I tried searching... no luck...

I... actually don't know where my oil pan is... I have two large pans under the truck, one I assume is oil, the other transmission.

Is the oil pan the smaller, taller one near the front with the bolt on the SIDE that looks to be about 1/2 inch?

Or is it the larger one near the middle of the truck with the 1 inch bolt on the bottom that's rusted tight?

Thanks for your help *blushes* Sorry to be stupid.

-Kitt

First of all there is no such thing as a stupid question. That's how we all learn.[asking questions] I think changing your own oil is a good step in trying to do alot more of regular maintaince to your pathy. I work on all makes and models of pretty much everything you can think of all day long, 6 days a week, for close to 20 years . I love it when people take the bull by the horns and try things themselves. I would recommened buying a copy of Haynes Repair Manual for your specpic year, make and model. I 've been a mechaic for almoust 20 years and own my first Pathfinder. I love it, and will never own anything else sgain. I'm going for 500,000 miles before

any engine work.359,000 so far. Oh yah, the oil pan is the closest to the front of the vehicle. It's probably a 14 mm wrench to remove the drain plug. Good luck man, don't feel stupid for asking questions.

*nods* Got it done, damn does she sound purdy now. I'm going to do a second change in 1500 miles to flush out any crap... just a precaution for being nearly 3.5k miles overdue on standard run-o-the-mill conventional and a no-name filter (last oil change I had done (6500 miles and 5 months ago) was by a sunoco gas station quick-ee lube XD)

I have a Haynes Repair Manual for it, but I think it's wrong... they show a few parts that are either in a different location or simply don't exist on my truck (eg, I have a 1990 Pathy VG30E w/ a box air filter, the 1990 Pathfinder Haynes manual shows, and has instructions for, a circular top mounted air filter *shrugs*) That and... well... at the moment I don't know where it is *blushes*

Now I just need to dispose of the old oil (prolly haul it to PepBoys as they do that for free) but I don't really know what to do with the paper towels I used... I know better than to just burn em or throw em in the trash (natural combustion risk) but I dont' have a metal, airtight container to put them in :(

I know mine is MPFI because I can see the fuel rails, but I thought the VG30E was the TBI style too? I could be wrong... the Haynes manual says it's throttle body *shrugs*

the haynes manual i have covers pathys from 87-95 and hardbodys till 97. You have to be real careful when you read it because it covers the same thing multiple times for the different models.

Edited by redfinder

I have a Haynes Repair Manual for it, but I think it's wrong... they show a few parts that are either in a different location or simply don't exist on my truck (eg, I have a 1990 Pathy VG30E w/ a box air filter, the 1990 Pathfinder Haynes manual shows, and has instructions for, a circular top mounted air filter *shrugs*) That and... well... at the moment I don't know where it is *blushes*

Haynes manuals are best for jack padding and firewood. Some of them contain bad advice, a few contain advice that if followed could destroy your vehicle.

There are no TBI VG30s in 1990 US Pathfinders. We're ALL MPFI.

*chuckles* That answers that question - any manual you'd advise I get?

I have access to a service manual due to my classes at school... but I seriously DOUBT they'd let me copy it all...

Mine is a 1990 also (SE 4x4) and like mentioned above, they are all MPFI ....as you can tell by seeing the big silver PLENUM on the top of the engine, where the circular air filter type of set up would be on the earlier models...) and there is an air tube that runs from the air box to the throttle body, which is attached to the plenum, which is attached to the intake manifold....which is where the fuel rails (that run along side of the plenum at the base of it) deliver fuel to all six fuel injectors....and guess what....if you ever have to replace your knock sensor, its located UNDER the intake manifold..on top of the engine block.

.....another way to tell is MPFI is.....you cant get access to the drivers side valve cover, because the dang plenum covers the entire thing.

1990 was a great year for these vehicles.....I swear mine still feels like it will run forever.

...oh and I yanked out all my stock air filter box stuff and replaced it with a nice clean fitting cone-type K&N style air filter....best improvement I have ever made for just a few bucks and a few moments of time.

sounds better and has much quicker throttle response.....thanks to easier breathing :) I love hearing it sucking in the air when you get on the gas.

My concern is that the cone type could suck water in... isn't that a problem compared with the box style air filters? I'm looking at the K&N Replacement.

Ditto on the Haynes, that's what I started with too. It can be quite helpful most of the time, but can also confuse you a bit too. Read closer about what models are covered by your book. Mine says "Pick-ups (1980 thru 1997) Pathfinder (1987 thru 1995)" right on the cover. Besides the difference between the 2 generations of WD21 Pathfinders, it also covers the Hardbody and 720 trucks (early 80's till 85 iirc). I used to have a '85 720 truck, and like all of the above, some things do mix and carry over between the models, but there are also VERY different and distinct details. There are difference between the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder models, including TBI vs MPI versions, and then those differences may mean other differences drivetrain, etc.

Long story short, the Garage is here for questions, big and small. Don't be afraid to throw up a pic of your part or question too, if you need and can (Photobucket or similar is appreciated!). We don't bite... well, some might nibble a bit... ;)

Edited by Mr. Pickles

On the heels of the oil change, I'm looking at doing the same with my plugs, wires, and dizzy cap. next is transmission fluid.

Any good tips on getting as much tranny fluid out as possible?

Any good tips on getting as much tranny fluid out as possible?

You'll need:

- a friend

- a 5 gallon bucket

- a trans fill funnel

- at least a case of ATF

Process:

- pull the pan (catching the 2-3 quarts that come out), replace filter, re-install pan.

- re-fill pan through filler

- remove trans cooling lines from radiator, hang in 5 gallon bucket

- Have friend start engine, watch lots of fluid pump out of 1 line!

- Try to keep adding fluid to funnel to keep up. If you can't and the fluid stops flowing out of line into bucket, just have friend shut off engine. You don't want to let it run dry for very long.

- When oil coming out is bright red, you've pumped out at least 90% of old goop.

You'll need:

- a friend

- a 5 gallon bucket

- a trans fill funnel

- at least a case of ATF

Process:

- pull the pan (catching the 2-3 quarts that come out), replace filter, re-install pan.

- re-fill pan through filler

- remove trans cooling lines from radiator, hang in 5 gallon bucket

- Have friend start engine, watch lots of fluid pump out of 1 line!

- Try to keep adding fluid to funnel to keep up. If you can't and the fluid stops flowing out of line into bucket, just have friend shut off engine. You don't want to let it run dry for very long.

- When oil coming out is bright red, you've pumped out at least 90% of old goop.

Is that safe to do though? I don't want to risk damaging my transmission :(

Plus, when I do this, I plan to bypass the stock cooler and add a new one.

Yep. As long as you don't run the pump dry for a long time, it will be fine.

Transmission is very different critter than the engine.

When the truck is idling in park, all the gears and shafts are stationary. The only things moving are the pump and torque converter. And they are under minimal load so wear is unlikely if they are starved for oil for a couple/few seconds.

regarding the cone type K&N filter, I dont plan on going 'swimming' with my pathy (crossing streams or submerging that deep....) so I dont worry about water issues. I opted for a little more kick with the throttle :)

Not enough water from just rain or hitting a puddle would get in there to do any damage.

I did try the K&N flat panel type -stock replacement- kind that would fit inside the stock airbox, but there was no noticable difference in response or power so that just wasted about 38 bucks....

I was happier yanking all that mess out and putting in a big sweet cone filter. If I ever get that much water in my engine compartment...it will be because I had a heart attack at the wheel and drove off the road into the lake.

I think there are some nice air filter set ups out there though that would be "water proof" ...maybe other than just installing a snorkle.

I'm contemplating the cone setup till I can afford to fabricate my own snorkle... do you really think it's worth it considering I dont' have headers or a high-flow exhaust?

I did try the K&N flat panel type -stock replacement- kind that would fit inside the stock airbox, but there was no noticable difference in response or power so that just wasted about 38 bucks....

weird, i definitely noticed a difference...... and the longer time goes on, the more i KNOW when it's dirty lol. i cleaned mini's last week n she's got her zoom zoom back...... i swear by em.....

different strokes fer different folks i guess.