No start!

ILoveMyPatty

Well, I just finished everything for the swap, except for a couple vac lines that go to the carbon canister or whatever it is, by the wiper fluid resevoir but I figured I'd check to see if she'd start. No start.

I'm kinda wondering about the starter, as it doens't click or anything. I get power when I turn the key to ON, my dash lights come on, and the computer turns on. I can hear my fuel pump too. When I turn it to start, there are no sounds anywhere, and the dash lights stay on.

When I put my starter in, I put the plug in, and the cable to the ring terminal. Are there any other connections here? It looked like there used to be one, but it was no longer there (a wire in the side). I'm unsure of what happened here, and I'm kinda bummed out that she wont at least TRY to start. But, I prepared myself for this, so I'm not completely let down...

Any ideas?

Oh, and those ground straps that go to the exhaust manifolds and such... with a clip on one end and a ring connector on the other end, I didn't hook those back up. Also, one more question about some wires. Two wires that go along with several plugs in the wire loom, near the distributor. Passenger side of the dizzy, there's a yellow plug, two wires, and what looks to be a ground of some sort. Where do the two other wires go (they both have rings on the ends).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just finished everything for the swap, except for a couple vac lines that go to the carbon canister or whatever it is, by the wiper fluid resevoir but I figured I'd check to see if she'd start. No start.

I'm kinda wondering about the starter, as it doens't click or anything. I get power when I turn the key to ON, my dash lights come on, and the computer turns on. I can hear my fuel pump too. When I turn it to start, there are no sounds anywhere, and the dash lights stay on.

When I put my starter in, I put the plug in, and the cable to the ring terminal. Are there any other connections here? It looked like there used to be one, but it was no longer there (a wire in the side). I'm unsure of what happened here, and I'm kinda bummed out that she wont at least TRY to start. But, I prepared myself for this, so I'm not completely let down...

Any ideas?

Oh, and those ground straps that go to the exhaust manifolds and such... with a clip on one end and a ring connector on the other end, I didn't hook those back up. Also, one more question about some wires. Two wires that go along with several plugs in the wire loom, near the distributor. Passenger side of the dizzy, there's a yellow plug, two wires, and what looks to be a ground of some sort. Where do the two other wires go (they both have rings on the ends).

I can tell you that those 2 ground straps that are supposed to go on the manifold won't cause you're issue. As mine are broken at the moment and she still runs fine. Although it's probably a good idea to hook'em up anyways.

I figured they wouldn't effect much.

Dang this is angering me... I kinda wish the shop would just burn down, and I'd get another pathy and a bunch of new tools with the insurance money... hahaha.

you can dry check the starter...pull it out pull the battery out and get an extra battery cable...hook the + to the starter and then have a ground from the - to the starter somewhere...then the other "E"" terminal that you talked about in the other post put a female spade connector and hook it onto that post then bump that wire onto the + of the battery and you should see that bitch jump...make sure the wires are secured so that they dont move and arc and cause bad things to happen

i'd also check the battery to make sure it didnt die over its extended no use time...

let me go grab some pix right fast for you...

Edited by unccpathfinder

ok this is going to be a lil shaky but theres other write ups...but here is the basic bypass the trucks ignition control:

toggle switch (or bumping the 2 wires together)shown here:

DSCN3059.jpg

DSCN3060.jpg

which run down to a relay (optional if your only going to do this this one time):

DSCN3061.jpg

so pretty much the wire that runs from the swtich to the relay is the "on" signal to close the gate, 1 is ground

the other 2 are carrying the 12V from the battery to the solinoid

so from the relay I put ran the wire this way:

DSCN3062.jpg

DSCN3063.jpg

this next image see the red/black wire thats the the wire that goes to the starter I had to break it out here

DSCN3064.jpg

DSCN3065.jpg

(yes I know theres a motormount bolt missing)

Edited by unccpathfinder

now its back in the cooregated plastic:

DSCN3066.jpg

and finally to the relay:

DSCN3061.jpg

so you can do a jerry rigged version (but check the signal wire 1st to see if its getting juice and if not go this method and if its got signal pull hte starter and take it to the parts store and get it tested...or my half ass test above) when I did it originally on my white truck i ran 2 wires and just layed them so they wouldnt get caught by any belts and let'er go (if you look at the 1st 10-15 secs of this video you'll see what i'm talking about as I carefully drape the wires over the missing steering column...

hope that helps in someway

I'm so fricking lost, this isn't even funny. Thanks for the effort uncc. I don't know what the hell I'm going to do, but I keep wondering about the wire that's not on the starter anymore. It must be a switch wire from the ignition that tells the starter to turn? The starter has the wire going to the post, and the plug right now.

Looks like I'm gonna have to pull my starter, and take a pic with my webcam for you (no digi cam). I have a feeling something is wrong with my starter.

I really don't want to pull it... I just put my new oil filter on, and put oil in my engine... son of a beetch.

You can get the starter out np without taking off the oil filter....

2 14 mm bolts in the back.. turn the solinoid so its in the 12oclock position and slide it forward, then another little twist after you clear the motor mount and it slides right over the center link... Take it to shucks/autozone and have them bench test it... 3x

'

I would check your ground wires before pulling it... the black one with the yellow stripe... Auto, try park and neutral, stick: move the floor matt...

Most of the connectors on the front will only plug in 1 place...

The black one with yellow stripe goes from the (-) batt to the body, to the block, right next to the p.side exhaust manifold, correct?

For some reason I keep thinking there must be three wires that go to the starter. The post, the plug, and one more (that I don't have but looks like should be there)....

I don't know.. I'm just super bummed out that I put this much work into the swap, to not have it run. Should have known this was going to happen...

the yellow one goes to the oil pressure sending unit I believe...

do this...put a wire on one of the tabs on the starter and bump it to the battery...if nothing put it to the other...i think the newer starters have a + and - but you only need to hook up the +...if the starter bumps go put the e brake on put it in P or N then hold that wire onto the + terminal until the truck starts then remove it..

then find the wires and hook the right ones up...

and theres 2 connections on the starter...1 big ring terminal that goes to the battery and then a smaller one with either 1 or 2 wires...

Edited by unccpathfinder

The one more is the Oil Sending Unit....

Ring to the post

connector to connector

long one to the oil sending unit...

Yep (-) fender then to the block, wire brush the connections(oily fingers)

My starter has a little rubber grommet that sticks out about 3/4", near the front of the starter (towards the front of the vehicle), on the bottom. This grommet has a hole in it, it's almost conical shape, but there's no wire in it or anything. Could it be a different starter than everoyne elses, and this could be the problem? I don't remember any wire in this hole but I could be mistaken.

Oh my god. Uncc, come over. Remember when you said you wish you could work on a truck with a flat of beer... Your time has come. I'll go back out tomorrow and try to see what the fruitbat is going on. The starter relay is the one in your pic, yes, uncc? There's a blue male plug just sitting there by the battery tray, right where your relay is, but there's also a relay against the fender that's got a plug in it...

Hmmm.

I dono, I just glanced down and looked. I'm sure it's a little lower now, I can see that I left the dome light on... hah...

If it is indeed 11 volts, I think it would be a slow turn over or no turn over at all like you are experiencing. Mine won't start if it's below 12 volts.

If you are using the stock gauge, then it could be off a bit. Verify with a volt meter at your battery terminals.

I dont have a volt meter, unfortunately :(

But, I disconneted the cable from the starter, and it was touching the other post when I connected the battery again, and it started spinning. What the heck?

hehe, its not the starter.... well it could be... Looks like they are on the right track for the relay... any start problems before the swap???

little grommet is a drain hole...

Nope, no start problems before the swap. I dont understand why the starter would start spinning if the cable hit the other post... I'm about to light the shop on fire so I can get another Pathy.

Feels like it has to be something with the starter, since it wont spin when I turn the key. Maybe something wrong with the post? Maybe a wire to the starter has gone kaput?

Edited by ILoveMyPatty