CB Antenna

94 Pathy

Where would someone with a Pathfinder decide to mount a CB antenna? I was going to mount mine on the top rack or the tire rack, but not a nice fit unless I get longer bolts. I spent $45 for the antenna and now I have to buy different bolts! What the F*@#! Yes, I'm a tight a$$.

Any ideas from you all?

Thanks

I bought a 4' Firestik II antenna kit that came with a K-64A bracket as per here at Firestik.com

I mounted it in front of the spare tire as in this picture:

firestikm.jpg

This what the final product looks like:

firestik.jpg

Tech guidelines for CBs require 2/3 of the antenna be above the roofline. Guess how much of the 4' antenna is above my roofline? :D

madkiwi

:clap: Mike!

Perfect place for the mount! I was playing around with the mount and it works great in that little corner area of the tirerack bar bracket thingamabob! Thanks for the pic! :beer:

From my mount I am running the coax along the tire carrier's lower rail, and then at the hinge it goes behind the bumper. Then under the vehicle looped around the frame enough to keep it away from stuff to a hole under the rear seat that had a rubber plug. I cut a hole in the plug, threaded the coax, then sealed it with silicone.

Then under the carpet to the dash. An 18' wire was the perfect length.

Notice in my photo too I have a 10 g. ground wire attached to one bolt- it follows the same route as the coax, but it terminates to the frame. The antenna mount must be well grounded, so if you put the antenna there you will need to ground the tire carrier properly, the hinge bushings make better insulators than conductors.

The antenna clears the spare tire by about 3/4", and I have a full size tire.

madkiwi

• 8 years later...

i just connected my radio antenna to my cb so i dont have to figure out where to put a huge antenna somewhere haha it works good to me... downfall is i only get like maybe a mile lol but i only use it when i go offroading with friends and they arent a mile away from me just a few hundred feet!

you need to check the SWR using a external meter, if the swr is high you will hurt the CB over time. Their is a good CB shop over in holtsville

Address: 1031 Waverly Avenue, Holtsville, NY 11742

Phone: (631) 447-1487

the tech there (if he is still there) is Dave, really nice guy and he knows what he is doing, he did all my work on all my cb's.

Love the round headlight setup you got there DuckMan, reminds me of a old Range Rover!

I used to have my cb through the radio antenna, worked for the time until I got a magnet mount, which was on the back left corner of my roof before the last roof rack bar. That was better. Now I have the same spare tire rack mount as pictured a few times in this thread already (but still didn't pull down the magnet mount-I'm lazy). I've thought of moving it to the lower bar, but it works 'decent' how it is