92 pathy going for make over

ricecrusher

Ok when i bought this thing i knew nothing of nissains more about yotas but now i have learned CHECK the frame before you buy. I only paid 800 and i did look at the frame it looked fine but didnt look at it good enough. So know im doing a frame swap and a tranny swap at the same time. I got a good idea on how to do this all since all day i fix trucks/cars but not sure if the t cases are the same. Also is there anyway to prolong the rust on the frame haha any tips would be great and performace upgrades would be nice to. Also how maybe people have sased a pathy?

Edited by ricecrusher

There is tons of information out there about SAS on Pathfinders. Calmini sells a kit with all the hardware for a spring setup. All you need is some really good welding skills and you are in business.

To my knowledge, every Pathfinder out there through '95 shares an identical drivetrain. Transmission, T-case, axles, etc are all a direct swap to each other. Steering components changed slightly when they went with fuel injection in '90.....but even that is easy to overcome if you use the larger tapered inner tie rod ends from the later model. Have fun and post pics !!

Welcome to the board

The t-case is the same whether manual or automatic transmission.

The only things that changed are in 1990 the VG30i (TBI injection) became VG30E (Multi-port injection)

To keep the rust away, get it undercoated YEARLY, and make sure the drain holes in the frame are clear. Spray it out often with clean water. I've heard of some folks coating the insides of the frame with Fluid Film, or motor oil.

I've heard of some folks coating the insides of the frame with Fluid Film, or motor oil.

I use fluid film, its great stuff. I sanded down the frame of my old path and had to leave for a week and couldn't finish what i was doing so i gave it a coating, that was 6 months ago now and its still shiny, oil coated metal :D

I also have been spraying it generously on my new one and the surface rust hasn't gotten any worse. Just make sure you give another coat after you go through the car wash :laugh:

the only thing with the transfer case that is different in i believe 93-95(whenever the dash changed) is those years use a speed sensor. the earlier years use a speedometer cable. i am swappin a manual out of a 95 pathy into my now automatic 92 pathy. all you gotta do is remove the speed sensor(last "plug" in the all the way rear of the tranny) from the newer tranny and install the speed cable from your vehicle. that is what i will be doing. seems like it will be a direct matchup. the little gear on the end of either the speed sensor and speedo cable look identical. i have already compared them. when you remove that sensor fluid will come out if the tranny hasnt been changed so be careful.

also i would check the tcase chain since you already got the tcase out. i will be checkin mine and replacing if it looks too worn in my opinion.

yea that is some gnarly frame rot man!!! my frame still looks brand new!!! undercoated from the factory and i try to hose it off real good after every trail run but at the least keep the drains free as said above. GOOD LUCK :aok:

hope this helps

Rich

Edited by pathmaker1

the only thing with the transfer case that is different in i believe 93-95(whenever the dash changed) is those years use a speed sensor. the earlier years use a speedometer cable. i am swappin a manual out of a 95 pathy into my now automatic 92 pathy. all you gotta do is remove the speed sensor(last "plug" in the all the way rear of the tranny) from the newer tranny and install the speed cable from your vehicle. that is what i will be doing. seems like it will be a direct matchup. the little gear on the end of either the speed sensor and speedo cable look identical. i have already compared them. when you remove that sensor fluid will come out if the tranny hasnt been changed so be careful.

also i would check the tcase chain since you already got the tcase out. i will be checkin mine and replacing if it looks too worn in my opinion.

yea that is some gnarly frame rot man!!! my frame still looks brand new!!! undercoated from the factory and i try to hose it off real good after every trail run but at the least keep the drains free as said above. GOOD LUCK :aok:

hope this helps

Rich

I got a 1993 pick up as a parts truck with a 5spd so its coming from the pick up not a pathy still should be the same?