Rear hatch lift strut

Mr. Pickles

Does anybody know how to remove the stock ones? They have a ball/socket type joint, and the thing doesn't seem to want to come apart. The aftermarket replacement ones I got have metal clips that fasten each side to hold it on the ball portion, but the stock ones are solid. Do I need to pry harder, or actually unbolt the ball thing from the truck? :shrug:

the ball joints on mine just simply unscrewed with a spanner

had my struts done 2 weeks ago B)

Once you unscrew them, how would you remove the ball. I imagine a hammer could be in order since the old ones are shot, but there's gotta be a "normal" way. P... The new ones clip on, but do not come with new ball portions.

The replacement ones I bought came with new ball's that you screwed into the glass to replace the ones left in the old struts. If your new ones didn't come with new the new balls, you might find them at an autoparts store. Or just dremel those old suckers off!

Pickles, the new aftermarket struts should have come with new balljoints. I've replaced mine (and a friend's), and have happened upon struts in the store that were missing the balljoints in their package. Also beware...I've run across struts that were too long for the application, even though the manufacturer's chart said they were the correct strut. Can't remember the brand I used.

Its not the rear glass, its the ones for the whole hatch. Well, guess I'm gonna try the hammer route then. P... The new ones just clip on and are super easy to work with. They're the same length and all, so hopefully I'll be able to get the ball portion out without damage. ;) I bought the suckers off ebay, so returning isn't worth the effort or hassle for the price I paid. Thanks guys!

I replaced them on my 95 and still have the originals on my workbench (it's been a year or so but I might need them for something :) ). If you'd like, I'll take a look/pic at them tonight and post what I find.

I replaced them on my 95 and still have the originals on my workbench (it's been a year or so but I might need them for something :) ). If you'd like, I'll take a look/pic at them tonight and post what I find.

Pics are ok if you want. I can see how they're on there, how they unscrew, etc. I think I just got a set that are a tad too "universal", so its improvisation time. ;) You can't always luck out I guess.

I replaced mine on another vehicle at one point and they had little clips on the outside of the strut end that slid to an "open" position, thus releasing the ball on the other side. Kinda like pressing the release button on a socket wrench...

I replaced mine on another vehicle at one point and they had little clips on the outside of the strut end that slid to an "open" position, thus releasing the ball on the other side. Kinda like pressing the release button on a socket wrench...

That's what I'm saying, the new ones have that but the old ones don't.

I checked mine. To remove them, you unscrew the balls from the hatch and they remain in the strut. However... with a 3-foot prybar and a 2x4, you can pull the old balls out of the socket. I just did that last night to see how they were assembled. Remove your old ones, hit the sockets with a little WD-40 and swirl them around to get all the gunk loose too. Throw the thing on the garage floor and put a board on the rod near the socket for support to stand on and hook the crowbar under the ball pry. It should pop off without too much sweat. Because the crowbar hooks on the nut side of the ball mechanism, it doesn't damage the ability to use it again. Alternatively, I may be willing to pull the other 3 and sell them to you.

Here's a pic of how the stock ones are assembled

That would do it. I was going to last night but had a suprise visit by the inlaws. Good times, good times. I carried a screwdriver to prop the hatch open during the winter, especially while gearing up for skiing and such. Nothing like starting off the day in 20degree snow and a knot on the top of your head from teh (*^%$%# hatch. :aok:

Nothing like starting off the day in 20degree snow and a knot on the top of your head from teh (*^%$%# hatch.   :aok:

been there... done that. :D I used to have a pair of vice-grips in the back end to clamp on the strut. It scored the shaft a little and screwed up the seal but I figured, what the heck, they don't hold the hatch up as it is anyway.