Which Rig Would You Choose

87pathmaker

I'm not going to be able to run the Wd21 forever as a daily at the rate it's eating CV axles out of the Front Passanger side, so I'm begining to look at a new rig (would be purchasing after Summer, my busy season). I wake up every morning biased to one of the three but can't decide which.

Here's what I'm looking into.

06-07 Xterra "Off Road". Pros: Love the look, great v6, crappy gas mileage so I'll feel right at home, outstanding out of the box offroad capability and aftermarket support (if I for some reason have to get rid of the pathy). Good Towing Capacity. Stock Rear Locker and Hill decent. Cheapest of the group.

Cons: Really hard to find a 6-speed tranny (used), rear leafs, may become my favorite wheeler and start sucking up my money.

06-07 Frontier Crew Cab. Pros: Decent Towing Capacity, it's a pick up, decent interior room, pretty easy to come by, decent out of box off road and sour condition capability.

Cons: Even though it's a pickup, you won't really have enough bed room to do anything useful. Pretty expensive (just a couple thousand less than a well equipped titan). Also hard to find 6-speed.

06-07 Titan Crew Cab. Pros: Big v8 Power, tons of torque, similar gas mileage to my ageing pathy. TONS of interior space with the crew cab option. 9000lb towing capacity (my Father In Law is purchasing a family Boat, and I'm not pulling it with the Company Courtesy Van). Decent Offroad capability. Locking Rear Differential. Look GREAT with a small lift and 35s :)

Cons: Previous models have had issues with the rear diff, It is a big truck. Nissan will be offering a diesel in the next couple of years.

Now with that stated, which would you guys go with and why?

Edited by 87pathmaker

Or... you could just figure out why it's blowing through CV axles on that side and fix it. The worst case scenario there is that you have to replace the entire front driveline and suspension - far cheaper than a new truck.

This is why axles break:

Photo0012jpg.jpg

Up here there's a lot of rocky terrain, but it's usually a bit slippery, which aids the process of breaking axles.

Don't worry I'm going to keep it... Just going to solve the problem with a d44. There is nothing wrong with the driveline, just a lot of stress on those CV's because of the amount of lift (3" body, 4" suspension), and big tires... it's always an internal issue on the joints themselves (internal ball bearings in the inner cv). And believe me every time they break, it's pretty much my fault (last time it popped, I was reversing in 4-lo, and turning right, which is about as extreme of an angle you can get.. shouldn't have broken though wasn't doing anything extreme) :) It's just time for me to dedicate the pathy to fun duty only. I didn't purchase it as a daily driver, before I moved to Alaska, I was always a car guy... since I've moved up here, the Pathy has become my number one trusty vehicle.

I will be purchasing a new rig mainly because we will need something a little more versitile that can tow/and or haul(that's why I'm kinda leaning towards a pickup) for daily use. If I choose the xterra, I'll also have to consider that I'll have to purchase a small trailor to haul stuff with (atvs, snowmachines, lawn equipment, tree limbs, Mulch, Lumber).

Edited by 87pathmaker

Yeah, I know - it's very strange.

On the other hand, since that D44 that Dana supplied Nissan turned out to be such a failure, it's no wonder that every other truck maker in the world fled Dana in the last few years AND that Dana went bankrupt.

I understand that the titan had a few issues in the past, but I can't find anything on '07 titan's having issues, and from what I'm reading the '08's have just about everything worked out. They do run a d44ish clone axle, but also run a 9" ring gear.. heavy duty enough for me. The only real issue that worries me is the brake recall issue.

I understand that the titan had a few issues in the past, but I can't find anything on '07 titan's having issues, and from what I'm reading the '08's have just about everything worked out. They do run a d44ish clone axle, but also run a 9" ring gear.. heavy duty enough for me. The only real issue that worries me is the brake recall issue.

All I have to say to that is, YET.

All I have to say to that is, YET.

I agree.. one of the reasons i'm going to wait till the end of the year. Cab space is a pretty big issue with me, that's why I'm having a hard time... I think the crew cab frontier would be just a little to small for me and my family, we're good size people lol. The titan has a ton of room, and well, the xterra does too..but no truck bed.

On the other hand, personal experience has always proved that Full size trucks will need more maintinance, regardless of brand due to higher stress on parts.

Edited by 87pathmaker

i would be getting a 1997-2000 2-door frontier with the extra cab. crew cabs are as useless as a pathfinder when you need to move big things (construction materials, atv's, bikes etc.) The crew cab 4'x4' box is too small for most things especially if you own a house and are into d.i.y. renos

i would be getting a 1997-2000 2-door frontier with the extra cab. crew cabs are as useless as a pathfinder when you need to move big things (construction materials, atv's, bikes etc.) The crew cab 4'x4' box is too small for most things especially if you own a house and are into d.i.y. renos

I'm a Handyman and use my WD-21 for work, no issues with material hauling, why there's a roof rack.

Last I heard they weren't going to allow it in the US b/c nissan doesnt want to fork out the development for the 2010 emission standards and didn't want to do the same for the 2007's

IMO if Toyota brings a hino inline 6, Nissan really won't have a choice but to offer a diesel variant (which could mean they thrown in a rear axle combo as well!) in order to be semi competitive in the market.

As far as the bed size goes, i dont' need to load any 8' pieces of plywood anytime soon (the new titan offers a full size bed with crew cab option iirc)... mostly need a bed for things with clearance issues most of the items I end up hauling don't have a huge footprint, just a little height to them..which end up causing clearance issues with any suv.

Yummy:

nissan.titan.rockstars.jpg

Now I REALLY can't decide :)

All that and it has the same exact rearend as a frontier, well at least the pre 08's did. Whoop de doo. Nissan no longer impresses me with their newer vehicles because they aren't as capable as other vehicles for the same price. If I was to buy a brand new truck, I would buy a tundra. The thing is a beast. It has a 10 inch rearend (bigger than anything in its class) and 381hp with 401 ft lb of torque to back it up. Not to mention more standard features than anything in it's class. I used to work for toyota and I've driven EVERYTHING you can imagine on clossed courses before the tundra was released and nothing could touch it. Sorry guys. I love nissan and love my pathfinder....but there are better options out there.

Edited by JoMammaSmurf

All that and it has the same exact rearend as a frontier, well at least the pre 08's did. Whoop de doo. Nissan no longer impresses me with their newer vehicles because they aren't as capable as other vehicles for the same price. If I was to buy a brand new truck, I would buy a tundra. The thing is a beast. It has a 10 inch rearend (bigger than anything in its class) and 381hp with 401 ft lb of torque to back it up. Not to mention more standard features than anything in it's class. I used to work for toyota and I've driven EVERYTHING you can imagine on clossed courses before the tundra was released and nothing could touch it. Sorry guys. I love nissan and love my pathfinder....but there are better options out there.

The Tundra is a great truck.. I'm just not going to be buying brand new (and if i did I would be paying a substantial premium at the dealer over a new titan), and the first generation Tundra's that will be on the used market more than likely won't have the camshaft problem fixed.

On the other hand, the new Tacos are supposedly the best truck for the dollar (with the frontier not far behind in the segment).

Nissans are in my comfort zone, and unfortunatly Toyos aren't.

The Tundra is a great truck.. I'm just not going to be buying brand new (and if i did I would be paying a substantial premium at the dealer over a new titan), and the first generation Tundra's that will be on the used market more than likely won't have the camshaft problem fixed.

On the other hand, the new Tacos are supposedly the best truck for the dollar (with the frontier not far behind in the segment).

Nissans are in my comfort zone, and unfortunatly Toyos aren't.

Fair enough...I can understand that....My best friend has owned a first gen of the new tundra since it came out. He drives the hell out of it and has had no problems what so ever. It's all good though I wouldn't buy anything new unless it was a toyota, nissan or honda:)