Trim differences

vanuatoo

Hello

I'm going to buy R50 Pathfinder, probably 2001-2004 year.

When searching through cars.com or autotrader.com I found that there are SE,LE trims of the pathfinder.

I want 4x4 version and as I found out on SEs knob is mounted on the flour and on LEs it's mounted on the console.

Is there any difference?

I'm also interested what capabilities does R50 have?

I know it has 2wd, 4h, 4l modes. Does it have Center Differential Lock and how it's activated?

Thank you

Hello

I'm going to buy R50 Pathfinder, probably 2001-2004 year.

When searching through cars.com or autotrader.com I found that there are SE,LE trims of the pathfinder.

I want 4x4 version and as I found out on SEs knob is mounted on the flour and on LEs it's mounted on the console.

Is there any difference?

I know it has 2wd, 4h, 4l modes. Does it have Center Differential Lock and how it's activated?

Thank you

Hi there, there's not really any difference between the floor & dash mounted 4x4 "switch" They both do the same thing, and I haven't heard any issues with either version. A lot of people prefer the floor mounted shifter, as it doesn't "feel" right relying on an electronic switch to do the job. The only difference I can think of between the two, is I believe the dash mount switch on some of the newer trucks have an "auto" mode. I don't know too much about that, maybe someone else can chime in here....

The R50 doesn't come with any diff lockers (not stock anyway) but many come with a limited slip diff in the back, which is pretty strong. Check for an orange sticker on the back of the diff....

As for capabilities... check out the photos on my website (click on the image) or look up vengeful, or XPLORX4's member pages, and check the links to their websites. We all put our pathys through a lot more than drive thrus and mall parking lots! :D

Good luck with your search, and welcome to the board.

Greetings! I would stick with the floor mounted shifter so you are garaunteed to be able to use the Warn Hubs....get a truck with low miles as possible, LSD will be tough to find (I thought so anyhow). When I was shopping at auctions, I must have looked at 25-30 Paths from 2002-2004 and only saw 1 that had the lsd, not a good average!

Read the pinned section about the power valve screws, it is an easy fix. Ihave only read of a few that had problems under 50K miles. I also can't say taht an 04 would be better than an 02 in terms of the problem....but for adding manual hubs the 01-02 OEM wheels are bored big enough to handle them!

.......Got questions? Ask away, that's we are all here!

My 02 has the dash mounted switch and yes, as Pezzy noted, it has an AUTO mode. It is called the AllMode transfer case by Nissan. As far as I know, that is all you will find in the LE trim, no floor mounted levers there.

What the auto setting does is automatically transfer up to 50% of the power to the front wheels when slippage is detected. It also applies the 50-50 split when starting from a stop, not waiting for slippage to happen first. This makes it a rocket when leaving a stop sign/red light when its slippery out, leaving most others in your wake.

So with AllMode, there are 4 settings: 2WD: rear wheel power only; AUTO: as noted above; 4HI: locked power to both front and real axles without a change in gear ratios (so you can shift "on the fly"); and 4LOW: locked as in 4 HI but with a significantly lower ratio (so no shifting on the fly). The AllMode is available only with an automatic transmission. Like any 4wd system, the 4HI and 4LOW should not be used on hard, dry surfaces or else you risk damage to the drive train as there is no "give" in the system to account for the front/rear wheels turning at different speeds on corners.

I quite like my system but it does add extra complexity and that means more to go wrong.

A note on trim levels: You may run across the "Chilkoot" trim level, this was a Canada only option so do not let it confuse you. I also thought there was an XE level, below the SE? There was in Canada, here they went: Chilkkot, XE, SE and LE as the top line.

Good luck and if you have any more questions, just ask.

Note that in the links section there are used reviews of the R50's there, they may help too.

Is there any difference?

R50 Pathfinders with the floor-mounted transfer-case lever have a part-time 4WD system with 2H, 4H, and 4L modes. There is no center differential. The low-range ratio of the part-time transfer case is 2.02:1. The gears in the transfer case can be swapped out for a 3.7:1 or 3.92:1 set for about $1500.

R50 Pathfinders with the dashboard-mounted 4WD selector dial have a full-time 4WD system with 2H, 4H, 4L, and "Auto4WD" ("full-time AWD"). The center differential is disconnected in 2H mode and locks in 4H and 4L modes. Slip is allowed in Auto4WD. The low-range ratio of the full-time transfer case is 2.569:1. The gears cannot be swapped out.

The stock front wheel hubs are always engaged on all R50s. This means that no matter what drive mode the transfer case is in, the front drivetrain always rotates with the front wheels. Of course, in some modes, engine power is not transmitted through the front drivetrain.

It is a simple procedure to install manually-operated hubs on R50's with a part-time transfer case to reduce drivetrain wear and tear and improve fuel economy. However, it can be problematic to install manual hubs on R50's with the full-time t-case, due to the AWD logic and other technical details.

As for "capabilities" of the Pathfinder, please be more specific. In what type of terrain and use cases do you plan to operate the vehicle?

Edited by XPLORx4

You will have trouble finding a Pathfinder with the LSD installed. I had to get my LSD from an Xterra. They use the same diff's and gears, axels etc. I also upgraded to the 4:66 gears (common on the Xterra) from the 4:33 standard Pathfinder. Makes a big difference but you have to swap out the front diff also.

Thank you all for the answers.

Actually I need a vehicle that will handle snow well on highway and country roads.

I'm not going to do some rock crowling but I might happen to drive in light mud.

90% I will drive it in the city.

As I understand all mode 4wd (mounted on the console) is more powerful than flour mounted because it has some kind of

full time 4wd (that should be used in snow/mud normally) and go to low range when going uphill or downhill.

From what I've seen SEs have flour mounted so they don't have full time 4wd. Is that right?

Also if I use 4H on snow while driving 60k/h speed will it damage the car?

Sorry if I sound confusing but I hope you will understand what concerns me.

Actually I need a vehicle that will handle snow well on highway and country roads.

I'm not going to do some rock crowling but I might happen to drive in light mud.

90% I will drive it in the city.

As I understand all mode 4wd (mounted on the console) is more powerful than flour mounted because it has some kind of

full time 4wd (that should be used in snow/mud normally) and go to low range when going uphill or downhill.

From what I've seen SEs have flour mounted so they don't have full time 4wd. Is that right?

Also if I use 4H on snow while driving 60k/h speed will it damage the car?

Sorry if I sound confusing but I hope you will understand what concerns me.

The only 00+ that has the console mounted switch is the LE, it is the 4wd system that is used on the QX4, and the top of the line pathy gets it. so the SE has a part-time floor mounted lever.

Just because your going up/down hill doesnt mean you need 4lo, 4lo is for especially slick situations where you need maximum throttle control, if your only doing some light driving through mud then you probably wont need it.

60 km/h is almost 40 mph, and they say the top speed you should go in in 4wd is 55 in my owner manual. Really, if your going to be moving that fast you shouldnt need to be in 4wd, but if you must have it at that speed i would go with the LE and its full time 4wd...

BTW: the XE in the US was only available in 00 for the facelift, then they dropped the XE and took away some features from the SE to bake it a little cheaper.

Actually I need a vehicle that will handle snow well on highway and country roads...

It sounds like you'd be better off trying to find an R50 with the all-mode (full-time) AWD system. Although using 4H on snow at higher speeds won't damage the drivetrain, it's usually less safe to drive that quickly on slippery terrain.

It sounds like you'd be better off trying to find an R50 with the all-mode (full-time) AWD system. Although using 4H on snow at higher speeds won't damage the drivetrain, it's usually less safe to drive that quickly on slippery terrain.

I agree. I keep mine in AUTO most of the winter and just forget about it. But beware, it is not as good as a true AWD system like Subaru as it is still a type of slip n' grip rather than having power to all wheels at all times. But it is probably the best of the slip n' grips.

The only 00+ that has the console mounted switch is the LE, it is the 4wd system that is used on the QX4, and the top of the line pathy gets it. so the SE has a part-time floor mounted lever.

I guess it is different here in Ontario. Most SE models have the All Mode system.

I shopped for a few months for our '02 LE. I did not pursue any chilkoots as I wanted fender flares which most don't have and I didn't care for the Chilkoot rims personally. Although I looked at some SEs for comparison, I really wanted an LE for leather seats (clean-up after kids) and the side impact airbags for family safety that are not available on the SEs far as I know. I personally did not see any R50s that were not ALL Mode systems when I shopping.

As mentioned, North of the border the Chilkoot is a fancy name they gave to the base model which was previously called an XE. I think there is a variant in 2004 called Chilkoot Trail edition, but I don not know much about them.

The All mode system we have works great! When road conditions are mixed with dry patches/ice/drifting snow, me (or my wife!) can just put the switch in AUTO and never worry about driving on dry pavement in 4X4. The electronic shift works quickly and each mode is indicated on the instrument panel when active. This system operates just like the manual 4x4 system on my '99 GMC Jimmy which also works very well. If I was planning any regular/serious off road though, I'd likley choose a floor lever system as noted.

Hope that helps.

EDIT

For the power valve screw issue, see my thread in this forum posted a couple weeks back - I have a "how to" post with pics on how to do this.

Edited by BowTied

I have an 02 Chilkoot with All-Mode, 6 Disc BOSE. Power mirrors, seats, windows and locks, but no power seats, fender flares or sunroof. Also came with narrower tires than LE and SE and I have the orange 'LSD OIL ONLY' sticker on my rear differential, though it performs like an open differential, always breaking free and spinning one wheel. Pretty much an XE with All-Mode from what I gather. AUTO is great, I use it all winter. I took an 03 for a test drive before I bought this one and it had some form of EST, chattering away at me the whole time. Might be something you want to look into if it appeals to you.

BowTied and Orangetang, out west here in BC when I was looking, the AllMode was quite rare to find. And according to the dealer, the Chilkoot did not come stock with the AllMode, it was an additional option on top of the automatic trannie (this showed in a web site that listed trim levels as well Link: 2002 Canadian Pathfinder Specs/Prices ). Total of close to $1,500 to get both. Stock was the 5 speed.

And in 02, the XE was still available as well as the Chilkoot, SE and LE. Can't see that they sold a lot of XE's, as the Chilkoot was a better deal and not many XEs were to be seen whem I was shopping. In fact, not many SE's are seen out here either, mostly Chilkoot or LE.

I agree about the AllMode, it works very well for the kind of driving conditions we get in Canada 10 months of the year :tongue: And seems to work well enough off-road when locked up.

Odd, I have not yet see a floor shift R50 with the 3.5L yet, or a manual. I'll keep my eyes open though.

A question about the Auto mode if anyone knows. I have always assumed it's a simple electronic clutch in the transfer case, but at ANY time in AUTO I can feel and hear that something is engaged. Does it somehow do a torque split full-time, or until it senses slippage of the rear wheels, and then goes full 50/50 or 4Hi?

My front differential whines more than most of yours probably does. I can hear it in 4Hi, and also in Auto just not as pronounced, as if it is sending less torque to the front... How does it do this? Dealer once said the All-mode transfer cases are based on the Skyline AWD system, and are extremely complex. I called BS at the time, but now I'm curious.

Maybe you can make more sense of this than I can:

AllModeBasicControl.jpg

AllModeSchematic.jpg

From what I understand, the AllMode is a "slip 'n grip" type, not a true AWD a la Subaru. I was told it varies the power rear/front as it detects slippage, to a maximum of 50% to the front. The only time the maximum split is applied without any slippage is when starting from a dead stop, then it goes to 50-50, with a reduction as speed increases and no slippage is detected.

I have found it better than other "slip 'n grips" in that is seems to react quicker but is not as good as the Subaru's constant AWD.

I thought the Chilkoot was an XE, just a package. I did not see any non-Chilkoot XEs advertised when I was shopping. I did see a handful of 5 speed rigs (only on Chilkoots), but they were not common. Also here there were mostly Chilkoots, a few LEs and very few SEs listed while I was looking.

Thanks for posting those All Mode pics Trainman.

Edited by BowTied

I did a quick search/review of the BC Buy and Sell for 2001-2003 Pathfinders and found the following:

Trim levels: Chillkot, Chinook, XE, SE and LE, plus a few listed as SE/LE. The majority of those listed are LE.

I found at least one SE listed as a 5 speed manual.

I noted only one that actually said AWD and saw no reference to AllMode.

About half the listings are from Nissan dealers, so I would hope they know of what they talk about.

Prices? All over the map from less than $10,000 to almost $25,000 (asking of course :tongue: )

• 2 weeks later...

While cleaning out some stuff, I found a section from the Victoria (BC) Times Colonist paper, July 13, 2001 that has a 1/2 page colour ad for Victoria Infiniti Nissan. It has 2 that may of interest to some:

Xterra XE: $29,451

Pathfinder XE: $31, 988

Unfortunately neither say what trannie this price would have gotten you.

So, for 2001 anyway, the XE was available in Canada.

We have a 2000, and I'd assume its an XE unless someone took all the chilkoot markings off. Its a 5 speed manual with the floor shifter. Also has an LSD and the alarm system, tinted windows from factory, the SE wheels (like pezzy's stockers) and the towing package.

I think it all depends on what the original owner ordered from nissan. I've never seen another like ours.

My 96 LE is floorshift.

Just a note though, when highway driving in snow put it in 2 wheel drive going dowhill, that will leave you more control should you lose traction. If you're just wanting to drive on snow covered roads then you'll likely never need 4lo unless you drive it into a ditch. I've found that my while my truck will skate a bit in RWD it's has extremely good traction in 4hi, especially considering I've got about 125lbs of sandbags and good snows on it. Certainly a good winter vehicle.