Busy busy busy

88pathoffroad

Boy, am I going to be ready for Sand Lake tomorrow.

In the last two days, I've changed my timing belt, replaced an upper balljoint, swapped stereos, moved and placed new rock lights, swapped out the steering gearbox, changed the oil, finished up the final details on the skidplate, fixed a wonky front marker light, built an anchor system for my rear battery box and a mount for the stereo capacitor, rewired a bit of the front stereo amp(new remote-on wire under the carpet), took off the front chrome towhooks and bolted on two stock Pathy towhooks...and a few other small things that escape me at the moment. I've crawled, laid down in and scraped myself in the gravel outside my garage for hours at a time.

*wipes brow* Man, I'm tired. It's oh-beer-thirty.

HOLY COW - time for beer break for sure... good for you, just think of all the $$$ you just saved by doing it yourself - just the perfect excuse for going out and buying more stuff for the truck... time for a winch!

Oh, wait, maybe that - "I'll do the work myself to save the money for more stuff" argument only works with my wife... :blink:

Fsck all that. You think I'm lying?

tbelt001.jpg

This is how the tensioner should look after properly tensioning the timing belt with a 5MM Allen wrench.

Pathy5.jpg

Note the added black stock tow hooks...

newdeck1.jpg

Alpine tilt-face CDA 7898, XM ready.

steerbox.jpg

New steering box from the junkyard.

Bring it! ;)

1. Still got the PIAA's, I'm holding on to them cause they're $350 a set.

2. Install the belt, insert hex wrench into tensioner, turn until hex wrench points at approximately 5:30, just like the pic shows. Tighten 14mm tensioner set nut. Done. You should be able to take hold of the belt and twist it 90 degrees inbetween the camshafts.

3. Junkyard. Two different Pathfinders. They all have the same hooks. There are captive nuts inside the frame on both sides.

4. Thanks. :D

• 2 years later...

88, I am getting ready to do my timing belt, 99 Path, 3.3, when setting the tension, you refer to the allen key being at 5:30, where did it start, 12 oclock? Appreciate any help, too bad your link on doing a belt was removed, would have been useful, John.

Hmmm, that's interesting because I was under the assumption that the "5:30" position was referring to the allen key insert on the tensioner, not which way the actual allen wrench is pointing? This is confirmed by looking at the FSM diagram for proper tensioning. I've done it twice now and I can't recall how you would end up in that position and not have the belt too loose or too tight. Are you using the tensioner spring? (After looking closely, I can see the spring in your pic)

Edited by Steve_RI

Steve, just looked at the manual and it looks as you say that the insert is at 5:30, I will take note of where it is when I stat and aim for similar when finished, thks for pointing that out, not as mysterious now. Have to say, 88s is definitely not in the 5:30 posiition, although the allen key is. May depend on the model year.