The IFS

Plus

I want to do what ever i can to make my IFS stronger and so there is less wear on everything down there. I have the OME lift so everything down there is at more of an angle. What is everyone's thought? and what have people done?

On the R50, the IFS is actually pretty strong. As it stands, there isn't a whole bunch you can do. Just make sure you get some skids on there to protect everything, mostly the rack.

Pezzy, for instance, has wheeled her R50 pretty hard for a few years, and I've only just this year had to replace an outer tie rod end.

i can't remeber whose R50 is was, but it look like they had new control arms i thought it was Pezzy, guess not though. I swear it was somebody that had the TJM though. The reason i thought his was because it looked liked they were at less of an angle. I have me a front skid plate that i made after i demolished the stock one. And i'm and currently saving for some of those rocky road sliderz.

xplorx4 has new control arms, as he damaged his, and a few members have subframe drop lifts. Depending on how that's engineered, it could lessen the angle the arms are at.

I've been wheeling my R50 pretty hard since '98, and I've never reinforced anything in the front suspension. While I do have a pretty sturdy custom-built metal front skid plate, everything else pretty much uses stock parts. Amazingly, I've never bent a tie-rod, in spite of how much longer they are than those on the WD21 and Xterra (which seem to break quite frequently). As Simon mentioned, I did bend a front control arm (click for pic) last year when I accidentally smacked an obscured log, dead-on with the edge of my front passenger-side tire at around 5mph. The impact yanked the steering wheel out of my hands and bent the control arm, causing the right-side wheel to be pushed backwards about 1.5" from normal. It's the only real front-suspension damage I have ever sustained in over 150,000 miles of ownership. Granted, how "weak" a part is is purely a function of how much it's abused. If you drive conservatively and carefully, you shouldn't ever have a problem with the control arms. The control arm is certainly not a part that I would consider weak, and in need of mandatory reinforcement. I'm actually glad it bent first, rather than bending something else, such as the subframe.

On the other hand, the rear lower links (aka control arms) are much more vulnerable to damage, especially when rock-crawling. I bent one of them while crawling over a big rock, so I had both rear lower control arms reinforced with angle-iron to prevent bending. (click for pics)

Although it's not as bad as the IFS on a 87-95 Pathfinder or a hardbody....

it's still not bulletproof.

The hard section of coyote creek in Anza Borrego desert did this to me:

PS it is really strut related.... the top of my KYB GR2 stripped itself under the pressures of low-range rock crawling on 32's

P8080178.jpg

P8080180.jpg

P8080175.jpg

P8080181.jpg

Edited by FUELER

Other than that.... my only problems have been a bent subframe.... 6 alignment shops not being able to get my QX4 to drive straight....

never had a broken CV or broken tie rod, thank the lord, and knock on wood.

For the front? There really is no point. The front suspension articulates so little, that a sway bar or lack thereof makes no difference. In the rear, absolutely, but in the front, you'd be wasting your money.

I have no idea about doing that on an R50, as I don't drive one, however, on my WD21, I found that it was a little sloppy on road, and didn't give me any benefit off road with the front one removed.

The rear, however....big difference off road, and almost no difference on it.

For the front? There really is no point. The front suspension articulates so little, that a sway bar or lack thereof makes no difference. In the rear, absolutely, but in the front, you'd be wasting your money.

I would have to disagree with that. I noticed a huge difference in front suspension articulation with no swaybar. The rear didn't seem to do very much at all. I finally removed it last year when it snapped in half. I guess too many off-road miles and axle-twisting obstacles killed it!

Regarding disconnects for the front, you can't do it with any commerically-available products. Many years ago, I tried using JKS disconnects designed for a Jeep, but I discovered that the swaybar bangs and clanks around when disconnected, since it rests on top of the CV axles. I abandoned the use of the JKS disconnects after my first trip out with them installed, and eventually opted to completely remove the front swaybar permanently.

The only disconnect design that I think could possibly work at all on the R50 would be something following this concept.

REALLY? The R50 must have quite a bit more travel in it than the WD21 in terms of the front end.

See.....don't let a WD21 guy talk about R50 specific stuff....apparently I don't know sh!t! :lol:

REALLY? The R50 must have quite a bit more travel in it than the WD21 in terms of the front end.

I'm not aware of the WD21 IFS travel, but the first photo below shows my R50 at max flex without a front swaybar.

048_gs_dropoff_dean3.jpg

This old photo shows flex with the front swaybar installed:

pardoes_rock2.jpg

The difference is about 2-3" of articulation. There are more R50 flex pics here. This pic of system-f's caR50 shows how much the front will flex without a swaybar. (Note that the driver's side A-arm is level with the lower crossmember, compared to the second photo of my truck above.)

Edited by XPLORx4

Haven't tried taking off the front. In the rear you can easily remove the links and the bar doesn't really run into anything. My setup is really easy to remove the rear link on as I'm using a stillen bar which has just a single vertical bolt to remove the entire link. I'm running on the road right now with the links off and while there is slightly more sway, its not a huge difference.

Haven't tried taking off the front. In the rear you can easily remove the links and the bar doesn't really run into anything. My setup is really easy to remove the rear link on as I'm using a stillen bar which has just a single vertical bolt to remove the entire link. I'm running on the road right now with the links off and while there is slightly more sway, its not a huge difference.

do you have pics of this bar that your talking about?