Noob Looking For Genral Info

feloniousmonk

Hey there folks. I'm seriously thinking about buying a Pathfinder to take over daily driving duties and, hopefully, lots of weekend camping and backpacking trips. Current car is a '01 BMW M Roadster with over 300 HP. Fun car but it simply can't go places a Pathfinder can. Also, I work on Nissan/Infiniti advertising at an ad agency so in a way Nissan pays my bills and I need to show a little loyalty. :D

Anyway, it's probably dumb to ask since the crowd I'm polling is sure to be biased, but is it a bad idea? How reliable are these things really? I'm already aware of the tranny cooler clogging issue and the exhaust manifold issue. Are there others I should be aware of?

Currently in my sights is a '94 XE with 130k on the clock. Seller's been selling for a while for $2900. There's also a '88 SE 2 door which looks awesome, 250k on the clock, supposedly engine and tranny overhaul 50k ago, brakes 25k ago. Price seems steep at $3400.

Any thoughts and advice are appreciated.

Edited by feloniousmonk

frame rust is another issue. other than that. toughest damn truck i've ever had..... ok, i should say TRUCKS... i have 4 of them, so they can't be THAT bad lol.

tough little trucks, if yer a semi decent mechanic, they're cheap to maintain, cheap to buy, and tough as nails. :beer:

the IFS is a bit weak when wheeled hard, other than that....... hard to beat out of the box.

if you're in a "no smog" state.. yer lucky, and can mod the snot out of a pathy....

Edited by Slick

Another issue is that the timing belt *must* be replaced at the recommended interval or the engine will self-destruct. If you do not have concrete proof that the belt has been changed, have it done as soon as you purchase the truck.

Something else you should know - on their BEST days, the WD21 4WD Pathfinder got about 15mpg city, 18mpg highway. With the new reformulated gas we have these days, you can knock 10% off that - so about 13.5mpg city, 16.2mpg highway. They're not particularly fuel efficient - so if you want to use it for daily driving, you need to be aware of this.

Also notable is the high resale. They do seem to retain their value, which makes finding a screaming deal somewhat difficult.

Then again, there's a reason for it - unlike the comparable Toyota 4Runner V6, which appears to retain its value for no apparent reason.

For purely maintenance reasons, I would avoid the pre-90 models. They have throttle-body injection systems, which are relatively uncommon in the import automotive world; among the US vehicles using the VG30 engine, only the trucks have this - which restricts the supply of parts somewhat. The 90-up trucks all use conventional port fuel injection, and a lot of the parts are common with the 300ZX, Maxima, 200SX V6, etc., etc.

Edited by GhostPath

frame rust is another issue. other than that. toughest damn truck i've ever had..... ok, i should say TRUCKS... i have 4 of them, so they can't be THAT bad lol.

tough little trucks, if yer a semi decent mechanic, they're cheap to maintain, cheap to buy, and tough as nails. :beer:

the IFS is a bit weak when wheeled hard, other than that....... hard to beat out of the box.

if you're in a "no smog" state.. yer lucky, and can mod the snot out of a pathy....

I'm in Los Angeles, heart of smog hell and the dreaded CARB. Aside from maintenance, and preventive measures (suggestions?) I will probably keep it as stock as I can. Rust shouldn't be too big of an issue around here either, but will definitely look for it. No hardcore off-roading unless I win the lottery to rebuild everything better. Paved and gravel roads are what it'll see. Thanks for your advice.

Something else you should know - on their BEST days, the WD21 4WD Pathfinder got about 15mpg city, 18mpg highway. With the new reformulated gas we have these days, you can knock 10% off that - so about 13.5mpg city, 16.2mpg highway. They're not particularly fuel efficient - so if you want to use it for daily driving, you need to be aware of this.

I'm used to high fuel prices. MPG is about the same as my BMW, and the Pathy will actually be cheaper since the bimmer takes only premium. My commute to work is only 12 miles round trip.

Also notable is the high resale. They do seem to retain their value, which makes finding a screaming deal somewhat difficult.

Then again, there's a reason for it - unlike the comparable Toyota 4Runner V6, which appears to retain its value for no apparent reason.

Around here I'm seeing decent examples for around 3000k, like those mentioned in my original post. I guess it's because of the high gas prices. With regards to the Toys, I've always wondered the same; overrated.

For purely maintenance reasons, I would avoid the pre-90 models. They have throttle-body injection systems, which are relatively uncommon in the import automotive world; among the US vehicles using the VG30 engine, only the trucks have this - which restricts the supply of parts somewhat. The 90-up trucks all use conventional port fuel injection, and a lot of the parts are common with the 300ZX, Maxima, 200SX V6, etc., etc.

Good to know. Thanks!

Oooh, I think your gonna be in trouble with that remark! :tongue: For sure, I think you have started a thread war. I can now hear the 2 door are better than 4 door remarks coming.

Haha! Probably about as inflammatory as the all-too-common wax debates I see in other car related forums. I do like the way the 2 door versions look more. Lusted for one when they were new (the last two years of high school). Had the fold-out magazine ad taped the wall above my desk. Since reliability overrules appearance, I think I'll hunt for a 94-95.

Edited by feloniousmonk

Around here I'm seeing decent examples for around 3000k, like those mentioned in my original post. I guess it's because of the high gas prices. With regards to the Toys, I've always wondered the same; overrated.

Yes and no. The 4 cylinder 4Runners are absolutely indestructible - slow, but they *would* eventually go just about anywhere. Unfortunately, they were the minority; most were the V6 models. While the 3.0/3.4L V6 chassis and running gear are equally durable, the engine is not. In fact, the Toyota truck V6 engine is a huge disappointment - it's difficult to service and it likes to blow headgaskets (usually passenger-side bank towards the rear, and no, Toyota doesn't know why it does that - you can fix it and it will go again a year later).

The Tacoma-based 4Runners (post-96 models) even have suspension/chassis issues.

The 4 cylinder 4Runner made the name for the model, and it's been coasting ever since. Unfortunately, people seem to think that the V6 models are the trucks that made the name, and they price them accordingly.

One more question...

When looking for rust, are there particular areas to look for?

Yes. The most obvious place is going to be on the frame over the rear axle (which is easily visible in the rear wheelwells). It has a nasty tendency to rust out. Here is what it should look like.

IMG_1590.jpg

Take a screwdriver and use the tip to bang on the frame over the axle if you suspect there is any rot.

Another place they like to rust out is the floorboards, particularly in the back. Stick your head under the truck and look for rusted floorpans when you take a look at it. Also, check the lower parts of the body, particularly around the dogleg at the bottom of the rear doors and after the rear wheel well.

I'm going to upload some pics of one that spent a lot of time in snow country and post a link here in a bit. It should show you where to look.

• 3 weeks later...

Hate to be repetitive but I dont think it cant be said enough if you want a great truck the 90's pathfinder is it. Just hard to beat, I have done quite a bit of modification now but stock these trucks will go just about anywhere. I know this is going to stir some sh*t but, I have a bias for the 95 year, I think its the best year, the rugged exterior but the more refined interior. Sure it has a few problems but hey what can you expect from a vehicle that is upwards of 12-13 years old and besides there are plenty of domestics like the Ford Exploder(aka exlorer) or the Chevy Substandard(aka Suburban) that bite the dust alot sooner.

Well, I found a very clean 95 XE manual 2WD with 97k on the clock. Problem is the seller doesn't really want to budge on price despite little interest after several months on the market. Seller is asking 3500 and won't go lower than 3400, I offered 3000. I know of KBB, Edmunds and NADA guides, but I take those appraisals with a grain of salt. None of them are accurate. Not sure if I should try meeting him half way or keep looking.

Edited by feloniousmonk

it's probably dumb to ask since the crowd I'm polling is sure to be biased

Biased in here what led you to that conclution...

Mine is a 90 that I just bought with 313xxx miles with everything working power locks, windows, etc... A/C too but I blew something... my fault... I think... no complaints here so far...

I'm in Los Angeles, heart of smog hell and the dreaded CARB. Aside from maintenance, and preventive measures (suggestions?) I will probably keep it as stock as I can. Rust shouldn't be too big of an issue around here either, but will definitely look for it. No hardcore off-roading unless I win the lottery to rebuild everything better. Paved and gravel roads are what it'll see. Thanks for your advice.

yeah, i'm in central cali, also known as "land of the smog nazi".... you can actually go up 2 cam sizes before you will start failing smog tests... i just keep em stock, while i'll be building a slighty modded engine that won't pass smog.. but hey, i can swap motors every other year if it means 40 more ponies and more giddy up :sly:

unless the pathy was seaside or int he snow or out of state.... you should be ok on the frame rust issue, but definitely check anyway.. if was neglected at any time (not washed), then it can still rust.

i can find goooooooooood pathy bargains..... you have to haggle with folks, and even if oyu are CLUELESS as to what yer lookign for, always start suggesting stuff like "ooh, i hear the broken manifold studs, that'll cost me $1k to fix"... in other words, pick the truck apart. guarantee you will get a MUCH lower buying price :sly:

figure out if the seller knows (i mean REALLY) their pathy. if they say it was mechanic maintained, yer gunna get em down on price. if they are clueless, you can come up with all kinds of issues with it.......

if yer payin $3k for a pathy, it had better be immaculate, low miles, meticulously maintained. or newer than 95. bargains are out there..... or make your own hehehe

also, CA law. the seller MUST have a current (new) smog cert on the vehicle..... or it must be a parts only truck...

Edited by Slick

you have to haggle with folks, and even if oyu are CLUELESS as to what yer lookign for, always start suggesting stuff like "ooh, i hear the broken manifold studs, that'll cost me $1k to fix"... in other words, pick the truck apart. guarantee you will get a MUCH lower buying price :sly: figure out if the seller knows (i mean REALLY) their pathy. if they say it was mechanic maintained, yer gunna get em down on price. if they are clueless, you can come up with all kinds of issues with it.......

The one I've got my eyes set on is pretty close to immaculate. As immaculate a 12 year old car can be I guess. I will probably make another offer next week. Ducked under it last week when I looked at it. No rust at all from what I could see.

CA law. the seller MUST have a current (new) smog cert on the vehicle..... or it must be a parts only truck...

Yup. Seller's responsibility to have smog check done within 90 days prior to sale. Beyond that, they have to obtain a new certificate/test.

Just looked at your lightning pictures. Did you take them? Impressive.

Well, I found a very clean 95 XE manual 2WD with 97k on the clock. Problem is the seller doesn't really want to budge on price despite little interest after several months on the market. Seller is asking 3500 and won't go lower than 3400, I offered 3000. I know of KBB, Edmunds and NADA guides, but I take those appraisals with a grain of salt. None of them are accurate. Not sure if I should try meeting him half way or keep looking.

I just bought my 95 XE 2WD 2mos ago! paid $2550 plus tax. The interior looked like my grandma(who hasnt driven In 15 years) owned it, and the exterior is just as clean! Now the bad, the pwr windows/doorlocks didnt work, the speedo/odometer didnt work, had an exhaust leak at the manifold. The mileage on the vehicle says 26,934 and carfax report says 26,519 so there is no telling how many miles shes actually got on her(remember the odometer dosent work). Ive been driving her for 2mos (as I said) and I just replaced the t-belt and waterpump myself(not hard at all) and knowing what I know about the ability of this vehicle I would have to say I would have paid $3000 easy! If that 95 your looking at is as clean and well maintained as you say, then I say JUMP ON IT!!!! :bounce:

Edited by 95shakinPF

Just looked at your lightning pictures. Did you take them? Impressive.

hehe, i wish. nah, most of those were taken in AZ...... i found them through goggle. i have a fascination with lighting. awesome stuff.

yeah, on the pathy, check the frame out real good, under the back passenger seat and the drivers floor. this is a bad time of year for people selling vehicles because of x-mas.. if you wait another month or 2, i bet you could get a real good bargain... hehehe (i'm so bad..)

when people are desperate for $$ ..... they'll sell CHEAP.

also, if you can find one in excellent condition that can't pass smog for certain reasons, those are bargains to be had.. i paid $1k for king who came with 7" of lift.. couldn't pass smog...... funny, with a shot exhaust, after sitting 6 YEARS.. he passed first time with me after some tuning (no new parts but oil) :)

Edited by Slick

I wouldn't pay 3k for a 2wd truck personally (being a 95 that is) although out here in cali there is a lot of baja stuff...i just moved out here from the east coast and out there you pretty much have a useless truck/suv if its not 4x4 unless its a grocery getter...I kinda wish I would have gotten a 2wd truck now instead of a car but I really needed the MPG's and in my book one of the biggest sins is a 2wd truck

I wouldn't pay 3k for a 2wd truck personally (being a 95 that is) although out here in cali there is a lot of baja stuff...i just moved out here from the east coast and out there you pretty much have a useless truck/suv if its not 4x4 unless its a grocery getter...I kinda wish I would have gotten a 2wd truck now instead of a car but I really needed the MPG's and in my book one of the biggest sins is a 2wd truck

I am noticing that they are cheaper elsewhere. Low mileage + low price is just not realistic here in LA. I won't be doing any hardcore off-roading or rock crawling so 2wd will be just fine. Most trucks on the market here have high mileage and are autos. I never liked cars with autos and from what I've been reading of the problems with this particular auto tranny, it's way too much for me to deal with. I just want a truck that is reliable and will allow me to do more hiking, camping and outdoor photography... something I can't do with my BMW. Based on what I'll be using the truck for, to you, I've probably joined the wrong forum. But, from past experiences with Jeeps, I figured serious off-roaders would be more knowledgeable because of the abuse they put their trucks through.

Here's a sample of what my options are:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/ca...000&addTwo=

Edited by feloniousmonk

Just curious,but are you looking out of state as well? :shrug: Im not sure how far you'll be willing to travel, but it may pay off if you did. Again,good luck!!

No. I am only looking locally. It's not worth the cost or time to travel for a sub 3k vehicle. Just for laughs, this is typical of the kind of "deals" here in LA: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/car/440152216.html

People simply want too much for their junk. I may just have to call it off or look for a different type of vehicle.