engine swap?

Guest whitefinder95

Guest whitefinder95

Hi all. I read somewhere that I was able to put a small block in my pathy but I was wondering if its possable to put a Vortec V6 in there? From what I heard, the V8 wont do much more then the V6 as far as power(ruling out total customizing). I live in Ca. so headers and all that is a no-no. Has anyone read or talked about this or am I just dreaming? What would it take as far as the tranny, rear end, and gears? FYI its an automatic. thanks

when you guys talk bout the vortec engine

is that this one, i know the picture isnt reall clear but you can make it out

is it a gmh engine

post-6-1086305350.jpg

When talking Vortec, they're going after GM 4.3 (and possibly some 3.8) liter engines, although there are Vortec V8's as well. I'd be guessing its ver similar, if not the same engines used in Holdens and such.

no replacement for displacement... the V8 is WAY better than the V6..

they had 4.3 vortecs and V8 vortecs.. dunno what size.. not a 5.7 tho :(

i believe the swap is legal if you get it recertified through CARB (Smog cops) and it meets emissions standards from the vehicle from which the donor engine came from, but i believe it mandates a newer engine than the vehicle it is installed in

if we are both talking along the same lines (engine wise) there is an australian company that makes adaptors for a t700 trans from the 3.8l to the Nissan t case

what are the power figures on the 4.3?, ive heard the 3.8 actually has more chop

no replacement for displacement... the V8 is WAY better than the V6..

yeh ands theres nothing better than driving 300km's from 70 litres of fuel as well

think practicality here

specially when youve got to drive long distances to your 4wding destination

i like the idea of keepin Nissan in a Nissan. i wonder if any one has tried to swap in the Nissan 3.5L v6. 260 HP 260 lbs of torque from a v6 stock sounds nice. that or the 5.6 305HP V8 0o0o0o0o0o

yea.. exactly.. if i wanted a badass muddin machine id get a K5 Blazer and uhh yea 44s, big block, yah know all that good junk..

i like my daily drivin, easy gettin into, A/C havin chick gettin, 4x4 that does more offroad than some GM and fords....

gotta admit 700+ hp outta the box is like... yea.. shear power..

i like the idea of keepin Nissan in a Nissan. i wonder if any one has tried to swap in the Nissan 3.5L v6. 260 HP 260 lbs of torque from a v6 stock sounds nice. that or the 5.6 305HP V8 0o0o0o0o0o

The costs involved would be horribly high. It wouldn't make sense unless you had more money than sense. ;) Way too complicated, way too many parts needed, way too much trouble.

Guest whitefinder95

so basicly there isnt anything. I was talking about the 4.3 Chevy Vortec V6. I also have an S-10 pickup that has that engine in it and the sucker flies! I was aware of the V8 and all but when the gas is around $2.40 a gallon, well... I dont want to think about it. ;)

I have not how ever contacted Nissan about a new V6. Just a simple Old for New swap. Whatta ya think? I would like to stay away from the "Bigger is Better" outlook on this (I cant belive I just said that!) :unsure: , but power isnt everything, especially in the dessert and mountains where I go alot. its pretty taim land.

I could easily build a fuel injected Chevy 350 (or a 400, mmmm even better...6.6 liters baby) that will get better gas mileage than my stock Pathfinder 3.0 V6. It'd also have twice the power, three times the torque and parts are readily/cheaply available at any parts store. Problem is, I don't have the initial layout on hand to undertake such a project. It wouldn't take much, really it wouldn't.

Guest zguy84

I Was Thinking... Yeah, I Know. But Won't A VG30ET Fit ?? If Anyone Has Any Info On This Conversion, Please Let me Know.

i like the idea of keepin Nissan in a Nissan.

• 2 weeks later...

chevy 4.3 v6 is the easiest engine to add to any non GM vehicle. Painless makes all the wiring adapters. Advanced makes all the mounts and trans adapters. Call them and see. If you already have the 4.3 you are 3/4 of the way there.

:contract:

As always I am not responsible.

the chevy 4.3 v6 is the same block, bore stroke, etc as the 350 v8 minus 2 cylinders... lots of go fast goodies for the v6 too...

AS far as the 3.5 VQ - doubt it's possible as it uses drive by wire for the gas pedal to throttle body... plenty of other stuff to worry about too like variable valve timing, more sensors than you can shake a wire at and as many potential headaches. I think the 4.3 is the way to go - just swap in a gm tranny and an NV transfer case... easy as pie. Trying to mate up to the stock Nissan stuff might be possible, but why do that? just fab new mounts for non Nissan stuff (brackets and crossmembers) - otherwise you will have to source some sort of adapter plate to go between the engine and tranny

the 400hp is Mitusbishis new hybrid, its 2-100hp electric motors powering the front wheels and a 200hp v-6 powering the rears.

As for the 4.3, squam is correct, lots of goods available for it.

If you live in Cali then it's also a no-no to swap in a larger V6 from a different manufacturer. Isn't it?

no ... the engine has to be from the same year vehicle or newer and has to retain ALL the emmisions stuff ... so if the truck is a 93 for example, you'll have to find a 4.3 from a 93 or newer vehicle and keep all the emissions crap ...

thats just a crap load of work if you ask me... would be better to have like a pre 70's vehicle where emmisions aren't a concern and you have a little more freedom

P... It's a no brainer fellas! V-8's or the larger motors with a high top? Cowl hoods! Scoops! It won't take much for this except a trip to the junkyard for a spare hood and a little fabbing.

Advanced Adapters (Aggressive Offroading) is who you want to get in touch with for the transfercase adapters.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest zguy84

So.. if I have to fab up some mounts for a chevy v-6, and fab up mounts for a turbo 3.0L what's the diff ?? the only real problem I can see so far with a turbo engine swap from a Z is the steering bar goes right past the turbo. as far as I can see a body lift would put me up over it to the drivers side. I have seen this done in a Nissan pick up once, but it was dark and I didn't get much of a chance to look over what was done. so the question is, how much the same are the trucks and the pathfinders under the hood ??

Under the hood they're relatively the same, as far as I know... probably random differences here and there but I'm not aware of anything glaringly different. Someone else probably has a more clear answer, but I dunno if this would help. =)

Guest zguy84

That's Kind of what I thought. I am going to give it a go by the end of summer I hope. if anyone hears about any one who has done this engine swap, send them my way please and thanks :beer: