Stereo/heater Faceplate

Barnzilla

Hi All,

This is going to be a simple answer for someone out there. I am having problems getting the faceplate off from around the stereo, heater controls etc. I located the two screws at the bottom and removed them, can get the clips out (about the center of the plate), but what is holding it at the top? I am assuming the vents come out with the plate, but maybe I have to remove the vents somehow and there is a couple of screws in above them?

Silly question, I have probably removed 10 of these things to get at the stereo on many other vehicles I've owned, but this one is really tight at the top and I don't want to break any plastic or anything....

The reason I need to get at the stereo is that (I'm assuming), the band/belt for the tape deck is broken and when you start the vehicle, you got this god awful clunking noise from the stereo. I think it is the auto-reverse trying to flip sides since it is not detecting any movement, but I could be totally off base with my assumption. Wierd thing is I never use the cassette deck, only the radio or cd player. There is no tape in the player and I can't see anything else lodged in there (I have a 3 year old). Anyone else had a problem like this? Oh yeah I should probably mention Tape Err shows up on the display too, I was just going to cut and cap one of the wires going to the tape deck motor if I can get at it once I get the deck out....

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Edited by Barnzilla

that should be all thats holding it in place, just need to pull a little harder. While your at it you might as well intall an after market deck and sace your self the trouble of finding the correct wire/s to cut, just my .02

I don't know if anything changed between the '96 model and the model u have but i can tell u about

the 96 model. I think its the same. Once i removed the 2 screws and didn't find more screws I grab

and pull the top of the dash panel near the air conditioner vents. (u right about the vents they are

coming out) Once the top is unsnapped, continue until the bottom of the dash below the radio

is unsnapped. Unplug the connectors attached to the rear of the cigarette lighter and hazard switch.

I build in a DVD player and painted the dash panel.

so the vents come out in one piece with the bezel? In my maxima the vents were seperate and had to pop out first to reveal two more screws for the center section. good to know :)

Yes, the vents are attached to the faceplate. Refer to this document for assistance.