Weapon-r Sw Air Intake Worth It?

brerben

Hey I'm new here and have a question. I am wanting to install a Weapon-R SW Air Intake ("SW" stands for Secret Weapon) on my 1996 Nissan Pathfinder to give it a little better pickup. However, I have heard bad things about Weapon-R products (such as cheaply knocking off other manufacturers' designs).

Yet Weapon-R is the only intake manufacturer that makes Short Ram Intakes for a 1996 Pathfinder. I have looked at a dozen other site's inventory, and none of them have an intake made for my car.

Is it worth it to buy a crappy intake for my Pathfinder, even though it's the only intake available for it? Or should I just wait around or simply not buy one? It is $188 plus tax, shipping and handling.

Thanks!

-brerben

Edited by brerben

I have not heard what people have to say about the weapon-R intake. I doubt it is going to make much difference in pickup. The 3.3l motors these pathies come with are simply dogs. While I agree letting the engine breath better will give you a little more pep, 188 bucks seems kinda $$. I bought a K&N cone filter and afro-engineered a small box to keep out some hot air and I did notice a tiny improvement in gas mileage (like .5 to 1mpg gain) and a tiny bit more pep on the skinny pedal. IMHO I would get a K&N then use the rest of your money for exhaust, together intake and exhaust will give you the most pep for your buck.

Just my .02

I have had one installed on my 01 subaru legacy, (Cobb Tuning), and also on my 06 Tacoma, (xdi intake true flow). I am just going to say that they look nice, but no real noticable improvement with either.. the one for the tacoma i have returned, it was on the truck a total of 1 day.. no longer have the suby traded in for the truck.

I have had one installed on my 01 subaru legacy, (Cobb Tuning), and also on my 06 Tacoma, (xdi intake true flow). I am just going to say that they look nice, but no real noticable improvement with either.. the one for the tacoma i have returned, it was on the truck a total of 1 day.. no longer have the suby traded in for the truck.

You mean you had a Weapon-R intake installed on all those cars? Or just an intake in general? Also, why did you return the one for your tacoma?

Just build your own. I rigged up an intake from one of those ricer tube kits from auto zone and I threw a K&N filter on it. There is a little more power, not exactly noticeable, but the real change comes with the sound. Even without an exhaust, WOT just sounds beastly.

as you realize on our cars, engine is running hot, and when stopped hood is very warm.

Because of its design and placement, original filter sucks hot air all time. wether it is cold air intake or not. also original filter is same as 2.0 liters nissan sedan (called as Primera GT here)

I do not understand how 2 liter engine and 3.3 liter engine can suck same air. I mean flow rates of air must be different. So filter and the diameter for intake pipes must be wider. As you check on BMW cars (i know them well), filter is insulated verywell and sucks cold air from outside,you can see opening on bumber, first off all we should replicate such thing.(for a 4x4, it is not logical to place intake in bumper but, it can suck air over hood grills in front of windshield)

Here is a suggestion to see if a cold intake investment worth.. Remove filter cap and paper filter, run engine on a clean place, for example in a parking lot. Try to differentiate the low end power of you engine. But i do not suggest you to run without a filter on daily basis, this fills oil with dust and in worst case, particles in dust can scratch your cylinders.

Edited by KLL

I have a Weapon-R on my 98. Gas mileage improved a little, throttle response seemed better, engine sound was definately improved. Intake tube however is set up for a Maxima, so creative hose routing is necessary, unless they've fixed that issue.Look at the airflow ratings however, flows like 2x the air of K&N and filters to a smller micron particle, you decide. If I had to do it again I would buy a Weapon-R filter and use local ricer parts from Pepboys, Autozone, etc for the actual intake.

as you realize on our cars, engine is running hot, and when stopped hood is very warm.

Because of its design and placement, original filter sucks hot air all time. wether it is cold air intake or not. also original filter is same as 2.0 liters nissan sedan (called as Primera GT here)

I do not understand how 2 liter engine and 3.3 liter engine can suck same air. I mean flow rates of air must be different. So filter and the diameter for intake pipes must be wider. As you check on BMW cars (i know them well), filter is insulated verywell and sucks cold air from outside,you can see opening on bumber, first off all we should replicate such thing.(for a 4x4, it is not logical to place intake in bumper but, it can suck air over hood grills in front of windshield)

Here is a suggestion to see if a cold intake investment worth.. Remove filter cap and paper filter, run engine on a clean place, for example in a parking lot. Try to differentiate the low end power of you engine. But i do not suggest you to run without a filter on daily basis, this fills oil with dust and in worst case, particles in dust can scratch your cylinders.

I have clocked my gas mileage to be 16.5 miles to the gallon, before an intake. About how much of an improvement from that can I expect?

I have clocked my gas mileage to be 16.5 miles to the gallon, before an intake. About how much of an improvement from that can I expect?

actually its is not so easy to tell you about an economy figure, but, it is obvious that there will be less resistance for air to be sucked by negative pressure created by engine. So you can expect low end power increase in %1 for such engine. What you will realize is you will be climbing hills much easier(low end torque) Without other mods its not logical to expect lots of HP gains.

Actually we need a nice exhaust modifications. On nissan engine used in pathfinder, i maen vg33 ofcourse not vgg35, air intake is small, filter is so restrictive(same filter with 2.0 liter engine), also exhaust pipes coming out from middle muffler are tighter than two pipes coming in to muffler in total.