Memorial Weekend Project

RatioCynic

Just wrapped up a two day project that probably would have only taken one if I stuck to the plan. Yesterday, install of the new front Powerstop rotors, Axxis pads and front Rancho 9000s were planned. Well, I had a general idea what I was in for but didn't think it involved the wheel bearings. As I removed the Auto hubs, I realized the wheel bearings had to come out to get to the rotor, guess there was no better time to repack them. So I did. Having never had the front end tore down to this degree, it took me nearly 8 hours....just for the drivers side!

Today everything on the pasenger side was done in four hours. Pretty darn good for a newbie I thought. The test drive didn't find anything unusual...yet. Powerstop/Axxis combo certainly is noticeably better over OE setup. Powerstop recommends a 200-500 mile break-in routine with no highspeed or excessive braking. Thats gonna be pretty tough since I live on a mountain. Let you know how this setup works out.

I do need to flush out the brake fluid ASAP. 130k on the clock; Never been done!. I settled on Ford's Heavy Duty Dot 3 which is rated pretty good for its wet boiling point [$3.50 - $4.40/pt in this area]. Yakking with the Ford service manager about the procedure for brake system flushes. They didn't recommend it because of the ABS and sensitivity of the computer to air [? -- sounds like BS??] on the Ford Escape [wife has a Ford for a company car]. But he agreed if I used a turkey baster to remove most of the fluid out of the reservoir, refilled with new fluid then bleed at each wheel while keeping the reservoir full -- that would be acceptable. SO I thought I better read the Nissan service manual on that procedure. While the manual doesn't specifically state not to completely drain the system, it does say to keep the master cylinder full at all times. Anyone know whats ok here?

Ranchos on all four corners are installed. So anxious to play with the settings to see what it can do. Off to a BBQ & Beer party. RC

Sweet!

If you drained the MC, you'd have to bench-bleed it to get the air out of it, so unless you really want to go through all the hassle of doing that plus trying to get all the air out of the brake lines afterward, I'd just go the turkey baster route. AFAIK, the ABS systems on Nissans aren't that touchy, but having air in the lines isn't a good thing in any case. ;)

I KNOW you didn't really mean that you were gonna infect your Pathy with Forditis. :o Run away, run faaar away. Even if it is just fluid. My brother's Exploder just came out of the shop for the 5th time in 2 1/2 years because of the brakes. And a buddy just had his in for the 2nd time in 1 year on his. Found On Road Dead. F'd Over Rebuilt Dodge. :X

if youre worried about boiling points in your Formula 1 racing Pathfinder you can use DOT 5 silicone fluid.. just make sure you COMPLETELY flush it out. dot's 3&4 dont get along with dot 5

It even has a nifty purple color. GE Makes some good fluid.

ford just sucks.. but chrysler is worse..

F'd over road disaster

F'n owners really dumb

Hey Hey now!

Watch how you speak about Fords now. Just because it's Found On Road Dead after the F'r Only Rolls Downhill doesn't mean that they don't roll fast. I love my Mustang. Only problems that I have with it is self inflicted injuries, pretty much the same way I have problems with my Pathy. But just every other car out there I don't care to much for anyway. I've been a truck guy since I could remember.

Smitty