Auto Trannies..

JeepRescueService14

I agree with 88. Manual tranny is nice... for a fast sports car...

I like my auto tranny in my pathy...especially when I'm on some uncharted lease road on the top of some mountain in the middle of nowhere, that is only as wide as the rig itself...I don't need to be fumbling over what gear I'm in....there's enough things to worry about! :unsure:

Mine is a manual and i agree that for off roading doing the two foot 3 three pedel shuffle can be kinda difficult.. so what do you do, add a hand throttle..

I've never delt with a Nissan auto but are they really as bad as everybody in this forum says they are?

I love my manual, and its easier to squeeze out the little bit of performance our small engines have. Couldn't imagine being off road without it, not being able to choose what gear you want and STAY there.

The auto also sucks some of the life out of the motor...stealing horsepower is another thing older auto trannies do. We had Pathfinder races at Sand Lake last time we went and I lost every time! I had the only auto-equipped Pathy there... :(

The auto also sucks some of the life out of the motor...stealing horsepower is another thing older auto trannies do. We had Pathfinder races at Sand Lake last time we went and I lost every time! I had the only auto-equipped Pathy there...  :(

Uhh, doesn't Tiff have an auto and was the fastest?

• 1 month later...

I have an 95 auto, and have driven my friends 95 5-spd, and I have to say I was not impressed by the manual, I didn't notice much of a performance difference to put up with a manual in stop and go traffic, etc... The auto has never let me down, trailering, offroading on trails, in snow, on the beach, on the street....over 100k and still running strong. Just my opinion....

• 2 weeks later...

Duuno what the consensus of opinion is here, but its an age old debate!!!

Personaly i prefer the manual now, as you can leave all the peadals along and drive with no feet in tight going, as opposed to having to do complicated brake and throttle opperations with left and right feet at the same time to get somthing simlar to engine braking. Its fun to start with, but you soon get sick of it.

Biggest thing i liked about auto was being able to lock it in to 2nd low and use all that gentle torque from the torque convertor to get you out of soft of slippery conditions. Its also very gentle on the drive train.

The only problem was like i said, i really didn't like not being to idle around, over, up, down, accross........ things at 600 rpm just moving the steering. I have realised just how important it is to be able to do that!!!

One other advantage of an auto is that if you get stuck in a river or mud theres no clutch to get wet and start slipping!!!!

ok. I have had a auto 87 for the past year. and i loved the Power but allways hated the Dog-O Matic. I just Picked up D21Man's 89 Pathy, and its manual. HOLY HANNA! I love that Thing. its Geared way way low (as you know) and Just Fun to Drive. also got MUCH better Gas Mileage with the 89 5speed Vs the 87 3 speed!