94 Pathy and nothing out there

Guest pixel

Guest pixel

I just got me a 94 Pathy(2 weeks old) in a real good shape so I could go to the backcountry to do some camping and Astrophotography. I live in Colorado and its a gorgeous country. However to my demise I find for some odd reason (perhaps the 2 piece driveshaft), there isnt much out there for this years model. More precisely Body Lift kits(So I can put on some bigger tires), and nothing out there, yet I see people here who have done those, yet how? any enlightment will be greatly appreciated. So far all I done is RS5000 shocks . Brushguard is next. :help: !!

No Pathfinder ever came with a 2-piece rear driveshaft. That was only on the HB pickups.

A Performance Accessories body lift from AC will work on your Pathfinder, they found someplace to get the proper bolts for the rear body mounts which are really hard to find, I understand. They just sell you a standard body lift kit PLUS the needed bolts as a package. Also, the body lift DOES fit an auto-transmission equipped Pathfinder. The tranny is shifted via cable and it has more than enough length to allow for the 3" body lift.

There are numerous suspension lift kits available. AC, Superlift, Rancho, Trailmaster and Calmini all make suspension lifts for Pathfinders. The Trailmaster suspension lift is a true drop-bracket 4" lift kit while all the other lift kits simply replace the upper control arms and then crank up the torsion bars to get more lift out of the front, with longer coil springs in the back. If you wanted to install the Trailmaster kit, you would have to cut down your inner tie rods and use outer tie rods from a 92 or earlier Pathfinder instead, because they changed outer tie rod size after 93.

Good enough? :)

I put the Ranchos on a 5 setting and noticed a big difference immediately over the stock electrics. But after 2 weeks they have gotten softer. I need to tweak them again. I hear that without the in-cab control kit, the initial setting changes with shock use but should't change much thereafter.

Called the local salvage yards today for JGC coils. Best I could find is $25 ea. They're next on my buy list along with new suspension bushings and bumpstops.

I read that the #5 setting is equivalent to the ride of the 5000's, with lower #'s softer and higher #'s stiffer. They said 9 was something like 800 times stiffer in reaction than 1 (don't know how that math works!).

Cool Thx for the info. I wasn't sure whether higher numbers were stiffer or vice versa. Rancho doesn't get high marks for providing documentation with their product -- nada, nothing, zippo in the box. Guess I should look on their website. RC

Guest pixel

88PathOffRoad, Thankx fer da info, I will start looking around. You are absolutely right. It is 1 piece driveshaft, Guess Chilton forgot to mention that. I just crawled underneath to be sure :)

Ratiocynic, Thanks for the welcome ...

I live in Golden, getting this beast ready so I can load up my telescopes and go to some remote sites and watch the stars evolve (yes I am an Astrogeek). :blink:

I am still working on bringing the car upto specs. Shocks, lwr ball joints, injector service, alignment, diff svc..and on and on...guess the lady who owned it musta been a real doozy... way up in the boonies.

use the inners from your same year, then use the outers from an earlier model Pathfinder ... both the inner, outter and adjusting sleeve need to be cut down - not much but it's just part of the lift no matter what year you have.

Guest pixel

Argh!!! A problem with the pathy, I been getting rough idle when I do cold start in the morning for 10 min or so with code 51 and then it smooths out like someone flipped a switch . yet when I first start it in the afternoon, it starts just fine, been banging my head since I only have 10-15min to diagnose the problem everyday. This morning when it happened I started to disconnect 1 injector at a time to see what happens. when I disconnected #5 the idle did not change. I checked the voltage across the terminal of the injector plug and it read "0" volt and the rest read 12v+, so that means the ECU signal to the injector #5 is staying high and not switcing to low to trigger the injector. so now I have to get a ECU... argh!!! anyone know how to tell difference tween Federal and Calif ECU by looking at it? some code reference perhaps?

Guest pixel

Update:It was the ECU, picked it up from a junkyard for $125, and voila all smooth and nice. Now to move on to the upgrades, and so the expense grows :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...