Spark Plug Scare!

bryfry

Hear's my tale..........with a happy ending!

Since I purchased my '99 SE used with 78k on it, I decided to go through the whole truck and change fluids, filters, etc. While I was letting the oil drain out, I pulled the #1 plug wire (which was somewhat stuck) so I could remove the spark plug and check it out. Well.....when I got the socket on it, I could not budge the thing. I put some extra grunt on the ratchet and it moved a tiny bit. I said to myself "Don't break it off you fool!". I used some more grunt and it moved a bit more. Believe me, my heart was pounding about now! Finally after a few minutes of slow, deliberate, and careful turns, it finally loosened up to the point where I knew it was going to come out. When it did come out, I noticed it was a Bosch double platinum plug, so they had been replaced. But the kicker was, the threads on the plug were as dry as a popcorn fart! I literally blew dust off of them! The plug looked perfect, so I placed a small dab of anti-seize on the threads, re-installed and tightened to proper spec (hand tight!). I then dabbed the end of the boot with a small amount of di-electric grease and re-installed the wire.

Start to finish, it took me around fifteen minutes to check one plug! So, I decided to go for all of them, and proceded cautiously to the next one. It was the same way on all of them. Talk about nerve wracking!! All in all, it took me the better part of 90 minutes to remove and check them all. The worse one was the #4 in the middle of the intake plenum!! That was so stuck, I thought for sure I was going to break it off in the head. The last guy to do the job was just a complete moron!

Moral: use a small bit of anti-seize on the threads, and hand tighten (not gorilla tight!). I hope none of you have to endure a similar heart attack! Thanks for reading!

What I meant GrimGreg was that you can put down the the air wrench and the breaker bar! I didn't have the exact spec handy. Thanks for the detail!

Stop hitting me on the head. I already have a wife.

Hey redfinder, I hear you on that No. 6 plug. Anyone out there with some advice on getting to that sucker? The angle seems impossible with a ratchet.

It wasn't hard at all for me, though I have a 2" Body Lift, dunno if that changes anything. I had more trouble with #5 than #6.

You need either the spark plug removal tool originally supplied with your vehicle (yeah I know ...) or one 3" extension, one 6" extenstion and wobble joint and your ratchet. I think my solution is spark plug socket, 6" extension, wobble, 3" extension, ratchet.

No doubt it is a biotch to get out but can be done. My suggestion for the good of society is to but a little tape (electrical, duct, masking, etc) on the socket connection to the extension and wobble so the whole contraption stays intact upon insertion and subsequent removal. It took me one time of retreiving all my setup between the fire wall and the block to say "this ain't gonna happen again". Also I have found that a slightly warm motor makes the plugs come out easier rather than a stone cold motor.

I got mine out with a 3" extension and an SK ratchet #45875 (bent shaft, flex headed). That gave me just enought angle without having to use a universal and an extra extension. Worked pissah!

I'll post a picture of the ratchet when I get chance.

Ditto on the extensions and flex/u-joint. Its a pain for sure, especially for those of us with a screwed up back having to reach in there. I've got the stock removal tool, but its like stone age tech. No thanks.

Huh, when i first bought my pathy, I was inspecting oils, air filter, and plugs 1-4, and decided that they were good. When it was time for a tune up, I changed the oil and filters. Some thing needed some work, so I decided to take it to the mechanic and asked him to change out the plugs. Well, when it was time to change the plugs again, I got to number 6. Pulled it out, and plug had some rust. It came to my surprise that no one had changed this plug in a long time! I was pissed cause no one ever changed it, and even the mechanic didn't change it. So moral of the story, DIY.