H233b Rear Drum Brake To Disc Brake Swap

88pathoffroad

IIRC the ratio differed with auto vs manual trans (usually). Check the info plate in the engine bay (passenger's side, back towards the hinge) for your ratio, it'll say HG and then two numbers. Mine says HG46, meaning 4.6ish:1 gearing, as opposed to the 4.3ish:1 on some rigs). If the donor's tag matches yours, you should be good to go.

• 4 weeks later...

Does this conversion improve braking performance significantly? I have x-drilled rotors up front and replaced everything in the braking system but it lacks the bite that I want..

I've owned both. My first truck I had for 5 years has drums and now I have a 4 wheel disc truck. Honestly I notice no difference. The drum one actually had a better pedal feel.

I went up the valley to 'Pick a Part' (the JY) in Chilliwack 2 years ago to pull disc axles off a wreck, and as I was getting the last bolt out my wife called me and told me to get back to the city right away because her water had just broken while she was at work. Our baby boy was born that night (2 weeks early).

Needless to say I have not had a lot of time to work on the truck for a while, but the rear brakes were in need of service (trouble lights on) so I dug out the axles from storage, bought new pads (rotors were in great shape) and did the swap yesterday.

There is an obvious improvement since going from worn drums to new discs, but the improvement exceeded my expectations. Pedal feels firm and responsive and the braking is better that it ever was (I've had the WD21 since 140000K, currently at 290000K and this is the first rear brake job).

I would feel comfortable towing with this truck now.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. I have 4.3 gears and disc brakes in the rear. My hopes are to pull the 4.6 gears from my parts pathy. May be a dumb question, but I just am not sure if the discs that are with the 4.3 diff will match up with the 4.6. I am a newbie and just don't want to run into any issues. Any help would be huge.