Because I Owe It All To You...

PDCCD

I wanted you all to be the first to see my latest work. Over the weekend I installed the warn hubs. I wouldn't have known I even needed them if not for you all. Heck, I wouldn't have been able to find the friggin warn part # either if I had known. Then, today the new BFG 31x10.5 with 15" pro-comp rock crawlers. I got a screamin deal I think at 4wheelparts.com. Mounted, balanced, lug nuts, center caps, and free shipping for about $785. If you got a better deal, don't tell me, I don't want my euphoria to fade lol. All this is in preparation for the AC lift that better be here tomorrow. Those guys I tell ya... Anyway, here's some pics:

post-3883-1179789551.jpg

Edited by PDCCD

I thought Warn Hubs werent made for the 02's and up. It stopped at like 01'. Theres a huge debate on it.

Great rig! Looks Awesome!

Hmmm, I must have missed the debate. Where is it happening? I haven't been off road with em yet, but they fit great, look better, and as far as I know, are working fine. I did test them a little...

As for the color, I HATED it, only bought it because I got a good deal on it, so color wasn't a priority. The stock aluminum wheels were SOOOOOOOOOOO friggin ugly, they looked plastic and had a funky design. But now, with the rockcrawlers, WOW, it looks so much better. The black highlights the window trim and bug deflector and the factory tint "pops" lol.

Edited by PDCCD

Theres multiple ones. Ive heard some choose to use it and some say stay away. But for the most part off the top if my head, the hubs would fit on the 02's and up just fine but dont ever use 4x4 on auto-mode because it would damage the transfer case.

Edited by Enjoi408

Theres multiple ones. Ive heard some choose to use it and some say stay away. But for the most part off the top if my head, the hubs would fit on the 02's and up just fine but dont ever use 4x4 on auto-mode because it would damage the transfer case.

OOHHHHH, that debate! Thanks! No problems here. This 02' thankfully has the transfer case shifter on the floor. No "AUTO MODE" on it. I think it was an option for the LE model in my year. This is just the SE. Only thing I miss is the sunroof, but I like the factory SE rack better. Only wish I could find a basket to fit it.

Edited by PDCCD

Thanks all. The picture doesn't do it justice really. I love it. The suspension parts came today, but Napa didn't have the rental spring compressor available today, so the install will have to wait till tomorrow. Anyone have any idea on a rough install time for the AC lift? Wish me luck.

I obviously haven't ever installed an AC lift, but are spring compressors REALLY needed? Since I hate dealing with spring compressors I've just started unbolting the upper arms when I remove the springs. With the AC springs you just might be able to get them out by unbolting the shock and pushing down on the drum (away from the body) while pulling on the spring.

EDIT: For some reason I thought you were only installing the rear springs. :tongue: Just *might* need spring compressors for the front.

Edited by tmorgan4

I obviously haven't ever installed an AC lift, but are spring compressors REALLY needed? Since I hate dealing with spring compressors I've just started unbolting the upper arms when I remove the springs. With the AC springs you just might be able to get them out by unbolting the shock and pushing down on the drum (away from the body) while pulling on the spring.

EDIT: For some reason I thought you were only installing the rear springs. :tongue: Just *might* need spring compressors for the front.

Uh, yeah, you don't need spring compressors for the rear. If you wrangle the right side of the axle downwards and the left side upwards enough to articulate the rear suspension, you can get both springs on easily. You do, however, need compressors for the front. :) I'm actually thinking about buying professional-quality strut compressor (such as this one), instead of the el-cheapo ones that are operated with an impact wrench. I might, however, go with a middle-of-the-road model, such as this one.

LOL, yep, belive me, i tried to think of a way to go without the compressor. I really wanted to get it done tonight, but no, I'm not brave enough (or dumb enough) to cob something together. I've rented the NAPA (auto store here) set before. Seems like a nice model with safety pins built in. Just like the Sears one I've seen on here. I had good luck with them on a car, I'm wondering if they're even going to fit on these springs. I couldn't find capacity anywhere on them. I might end up having to buy the Ken-tool set they sell that are bigger if Napa's set doesn't fit after all. Thanks for the tips on the rears. Anyone with an estimate on time to do this job with Air Lift install in the rear?

Edited by PDCCD

Anyone with an estimate on time to do this job with Air Lift install in the rear?

Rears: including shocks, less than an hour.

Fronts: 2 hours minimum, more like 3. Compressing the springs with those little compressors and an impact wrench takes forever!

Don't forget that when you do the rears, you'll need to unbolt the rear brake line bracket and disconnect the diff breather tube from the top of the diff so that they don't overstretch when you get that rear axle dropped. Also, it also helps if you unbolt the rear sway bar brackets so that the sway bar doesn't bind.

Rears: including shocks, less than an hour.

Fronts: 2 hours minimum, more like 3. Compressing the springs with those little compressors and an impact wrench takes forever!

Don't forget that when you do the rears, you'll need to unbolt the rear brake line bracket and disconnect the diff breather tube from the top of the diff so that they don't overstretch when you get that rear axle dropped. Also, it also helps if you unbolt the rear sway bar brackets so that the sway bar doesn't bind.

Thank you Sooo much. Thats just the kind of stuff i wouldn't figure out until too late. It always seems to happen lol. With my luck, it seems i'm always breaking something that I wasn't even working on... Every time. Also xplorx4, i've seen your website and note that you had the airlift. Were the bumpstops a pain to remove? Any other tips for them specifically, heck, or any other, I'm all ears (or eyes, dang slang is outdated).

Thank you Sooo much. Thats just the kind of stuff i wouldn't figure out until too late. It always seems to happen lol. With my luck, it seems i'm always breaking something that I wasn't even working on... Every time. Also xplorx4, i've seen your website and note that you had the airlift. Were the bumpstops a pain to remove? Any other tips for them specifically, heck, or any other, I'm all ears (or eyes, dang slang is outdated).

If you're installing the AC springs, keep the bumpstops in. I tossed my bumpstops when I installed the airlift bags. Bad move!

The airlift bags are completely ineffective with the AC springs installed without bumpstops, and since I don't have my bumpstops, I pretty much don't even use the airlift bags for anything EXCEPT as bumpstops now!

And no, after you pull out the factory springs, the bumpstops weren't hard to remove with 13mm socket and a deep extension (as shown below).

airlift_bumpstop.jpg

If you're installing the AC springs, keep the bumpstops in. I tossed my bumpstops when I installed the airlift bags. Bad move!

The airlift bags are completely ineffective with the AC springs installed without bumpstops, and since I don't have my bumpstops, I pretty much don't even use the airlift bags for anything EXCEPT as bumpstops now!

And no, after you pull out the factory springs, the bumpstops weren't hard to remove with 13mm socket and a deep extension (as shown below).

airlift_bumpstop.jpg

Ahh, i remember on your site you had said you removed them. I was planning to do so as well, glad you shared that with me. A little less work to do now. Yayy!

I had bad luck when I removed one of my rear bumpstops and broke off the bolt holding it in. I had to drill out the broken bolt and cut a window in the side of the spring mount to get a nut in there and re-tighten it.

I had bad luck when I removed one of my rear bumpstops and broke off the bolt holding it in. I had to drill out the broken bolt and cut a window in the side of the spring mount to get a nut in there and re-tighten it.

LOL, that's the stuff i'm talking about. I have a habit of turning an hour job into 4 hours. That sucks tmorgan4, I'll leave them alone. Well, Ten more hours, and I can start the lift. Wish me luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Lift is done. KYB strut bearings from AC were junk and had to be replaced withing 4 days for the factory pieces, other than that, all is well. Plan on picking up new front and rear carriers with 4:6 gearing and lsd to replace my open 4:3's. Also, cb parts should be in by the end of the week. I'm STILL waiting on my Black panther armor. Next week will be a month since i sent my check. Oh well. Things worth having and all that...

img0230kk3.th.jpg

img0229cp7.th.jpg

Edited by PDCCD

• 3 weeks later...
Just a quick update. Lift is done. KYB strut bearings from AC were junk and had to be replaced withing 4 days for the factory pieces, other than that, all is well. Plan on picking up new front and rear carriers with 4:6 gearing and lsd to replace my open 4:3's. Also, cb parts should be in by the end of the week. I'm STILL waiting on my Black panther armor. Next week will be a month since i sent my check. Oh well. Things worth having and all that...

img0230kk3.th.jpg

img0229cp7.th.jpg

Look's good. I've got to get these wheels.

Thanks for the compliments all. Last update is the open 4:3's are gone and LSD 4:6's are in. Black panther is installed, minus some missing rock washers and 4 stripped bolt holes. I'm almost done lol. Oh, and the 68 elite with weather and Wilson 5000 are installed. Almost done...almost done...

Edited by PDCCD