Nissan Alignment Woes

ShadowManR6

So decided to finally go in to Nissan for my alignment after my lift, after 2 days of them dinking with it said they were unable to get it to align right. Now one of my friends had to get a sort of camber kit for his truck after his lift, is there some sort of special kit i need to find for my 87 pathy? or should i head to some the specialty offroad stores in my area and see if they can do the alignment...Any ideas?

thanks ahead of time

went to a nice offroad shop that alotta local guys use, they were saying that with alotta the older nissans the bolts that connect the upper link spindle to the frame are so short it makes it extremely hard to align and put in shims. without chancing that the first bump you hit good won't just strip the whole damn thing out, he told me go to some custom bolt places around town get it a good inch or so longer, so they have more to work with and he can basically gurantee the alignment will work, so guess time to find the strongest metal bolt i can afford to stick in there if they really gotta make it longer like that.

Guest SuperSon

I seen a post before where a member used studs and nut I guess the stud is so that it doesnt go all the way in like when youre using bolts and gives more adjustability on the nut besides being longer. If you cant find a bolt at your local shop lemme know and ill check one here coz a month ago I replaced my spindle to frame bolt and im sure they have one thats a few mil longer with the same tencile strenght of 10.9 at 1.50 pitch.

Cant remember how long the factory one is tho .

14mm x 1.5 thread pitch x 60mm long total length is stock. I found 70mm long replacements for my Pathy at a farm and tractor supply store for about $5 each. Large metric bolts are hard to find. I can get some more if you can't find any locally. Let me know. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone had problems with the longer bolts breaking due to too much leverage put on them from being longer. I have had a few people tell me that you are stressing the bolts and that they could break due to the arm being out further. since so many people have done this there has to be a failure for this to be true.

Mark

yeah, when I had my pathy aligned with the calminis they had the same problem, so went to a much longer bolt.

It's next to impossible to get the camber perfect if you crank the T-bars to max with stock upper arms.

True dat, but the key word is "NEXT" to impossible. After four tries, I have my camber to within 1/8 degree of what I wanted!

With my Rough Country UCA's and only about 1.5 to 2" of t-bar crank (to minimize CV boot failures), I had problems getting camber dialed in. My solution was to CAREFULLY ovalize the upper ball joint bolt holes to physically move the ball joint about 1/8". And then backfilled the hole with some welding and then finish filed the holes so there was no slop. Took a bit of time and experimentation, but I got it dialed in perfect with about 1/16" to 1/8" of shims so I have future tweakability.

hey 88! i need 4 longer than stock bolts for mine, i cant find em ANYWHERE around here! Im guessing my 93 pathy is the same as yours. BUT, i think a strength of 8.8 would be better, dont want em to strong, they'll snap easier... can you hook me up? PM me if so.. thanks!

14mm x 1.5 thread pitch x 60mm long total length is stock. I found 70mm long replacements for my Pathy

I don't know first hand, but it seems like 70mm is suitable, but I doubt 75mm would hurt (thats an additional .2" of thread). It's a thru hole without immediate obstruction behind it, right? Then go to 80mm for good luck? :shrug:

25.4mm=1".

1mm=.0394"

5mm of 1.5 pitch thread=3.4 turns

If the thread is there, use it. If it can pass thru, do so.

You're welcome. :beer:

B

if i have the calmini UCAs will i still need to get longer bolts? Shouldn't the aftermarket UCAs fix the adjustment problem to not require longer bolts? Shouldnt that be part of the reason to get new UCAs?? or is it just AC that decided not to account for this problem?

Reason i ask is cause im installing the calmini replacement steering system tomorrow and need to have it alligned on friday cause im driving down to SLO tomorrow.. dont know if i can get these bolts by then heh

Edited by JoeBob

You "shouldn't" need them, however.....in some cases, even with decent aftermarket UCA's, longer bolts have been needed.

i have the rough country UCAs, and i need them. The aftermarket UCAs never really give a FULL 3 inches, so when you lift your front to match your rear, your gonna need shims, you probably have shims in there from factory... the longer bolts are more of a 'you never know' kinda thing... rather be safe than sorry! And i got my bolts in the mail the other day... damn they long! haha.