What Does This Button Do?

bigfisch1191

when I first got my pathfinder I realized there was some stuff I had no idea what it did so I bought a Chiltons book and found out a lot of stuff. but here are some things that I could not find out.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/pa...er/pathy006.jpg this knob that you can pull is located just below the 4 wheel drive and leads out under the vehicle to the drive line. it looks aftermarket

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/pa...er/pathy008.jpg

it squeezes on the drive line what the heck does it do?

second thing is a switch on the left side of the e-break it says sport or touring or in the middle. I flipped it back and forth running and not running it did nothing so I pulled it out and it was disconnected so it connected it and it still did nothing. is it for aftermarket lights or what?

The third thing is the alarm system I know what is does but I popped it out and the wires were cut the was a male plug with two prongs is this the plug it goes to?

any help wold be appreciated.

Like uucc said, that looks like a driveline parking brake. Test it... pull the lever, then try and push the truck (making sure that it is not in gear and the regular parking brake is not engaged) You could also watch it while someone else moves the lever ;)

The Sport/Touring button to see is for the factory adjustable shocks. Check the shocks and see if they have leads hooked to them (it's possible that someone replaced them with normal non adjustable shocks). or while driving if they function properly you should feel the suspension stiffen up some when you have it set on Sport.

i tried it as a getto e-break and well its not :thumbsdown:. when i first relized it i was hoping for ejector seats!

i have aftermarket non ajustable shocks :( can you tell me more about them(were to find the leads to the shocks if they left them) so i can go to u-pull it and get some.

Edited by bigfisch1191

its not an ebrake??? hmmmm....

and dont bother with the shocks...they are junk.....but hey, if you want some i have a set laying in my garage :) they actually still stiffened before i removed them......

That looks like an old driveline brake, the switch is for the adjustable shocks, and the extra wiring under the seat may be pre-existing wiring for heated seats. The stock alarms tend to crap out and require disconnecting after a while anyway. ;)

That looks like an old driveline brake, the switch is for the adjustable shocks, and the extra wiring under the seat may be pre-existing wiring for heated seats. The stock alarms tend to crap out and require disconnecting after a while anyway. ;)
what is the drive line break for why wold you need one?

is it a manual? someone may have lived in the mountains and didnt feel confident in the regular drum brakes and/or the loading on the gears in the rear axle/ transmission while it was parked?...just a stab in the dark...im working on redesigning an axle park brake at work...but i never asked y some1 would prefer that over a regular brake

is it a manual? someone may have lived in the mountains and didnt feel confident in the regular drum brakes and/or the loading on the gears in the rear axle/ transmission while it was parked?...just a stab in the dark...im working on redesigning an axle park brake at work...but i never asked y some1 would prefer that over a regular brake

no it a auto the only thing is when you let go it goes back to normal(not squezzing the driveline). i think the guy was a dumb ass and tought he had a brilliant idea. look at my other posting and it will show you what the previous owner did to this poor pathy.

Edited by bigfisch1191

that looks like a "brake line lock"......... more often seen in "juiced" street rods like camaros n such......

have someone lay under the truck while you pull the lever... ask them wtf it does....... if anything....

Edited by Slick

that looks like a "brake line lock"......... more often seen in "juiced" street rods like camaros n such......

have someone lay under the truck while you pull the lever... ask them wtf it does....... if anything....

you know what when i was trying to use it as a e-break and it dident work the break was kinda hard to use.

when you let go it pulls in(the driveline is not squeezed) when you pull it out(you have to hold it) it squezes the driveline.

Edited by bigfisch1191

It looks like a driveline disconnect. Many people install them when the vehicle is towed frequently behind a motorhome on all 4 wheels. Basically it disconnects the driveshaft from the transmission when the vehicle is being towed because most automatic transmissions will be damaged if rotated while off.

It looks like a driveline disconnect. Many people install them when the vehicle is towed frequently behind a motorhome on all 4 wheels. Basically it disconnects the driveshaft from the transmission when the vehicle is being towed because most automatic transmissions will be damaged if rotated while off.

sorry guess agian i pulled it going down the road i did not here any banging clanging or grinding plus i have inspected it prett well it just squesses the driveline.

Don't confuse a "linelock" with a driveline brake slick ;) (Two different things)

It is possible that the contact pads (I say that because I do not know exactly what this one has) are warn out, which could be the reason it does not seem to work.

The reason people would use them is because they tend to be stronger than standard drum e-brakes. Another is the same reason why I am installing a transfer case brake (same idea) on my Yota. (I choose this over a linelock after researching both) I am going to convert to disks in the rear and the kit i have does not have a provision for any kind of emergency/parking brake because it uses the same calipers that my truck has on the front end right now. So you need something to keep the truck from moving when your foot is not on the brake.

Have you checked to see if there is a locker already installed in the rear end? I ask this because it is "generally accepted" that if you use a transfer case/driveline brake that you should also install a locker. Because if one wheel looses traction for any reason the other will be allowed to rotate even with the brake installed.

Don't confuse a "linelock" with a driveline brake slick ;) (Two different things)

:lmao: ME! confused???? noooooo *takes another swig of her J & C* neverrrrrrr *hhic*