Goo

88pathylove

hi i drive an 88 SE and im in the middle of peeling off my decals that run down the side of it, and i've run out of stuff to try, and my poor pathy is still STICKY! so if any one knows of any really good solvents to eat sticky (and not harm paint), im all ears

After reading the title, and before reading the text of this thread, I was going to give you crap.....dammit man, this is a family board!!! :P

The useful part. WD40 will help break the glue down.

I've tried GooGone, Goof-Off and all of the other marketed commercial "anti-goo" products. In my experience, nothing has worked as well as the 3M Adhesive Remover for getting rid of stubborn sticker glue.

I soaked a towel in it, and held it over the badging on my old car, stuff fell off without leaving ANY residue on the car.

nothing has worked as well as the 3M Adhesive Remover

I worked for 3M for years and there is one thing I'll swear to. It may cost premium, but they make GOOD products. That said, I've never used what V mentions, but if he'll stand by it, I'm sold.

(too bad about the question of his probable 3 legged, 3 toes offsprings)

B

P.S. IPA is cheaper and you may have some at home. Give it a try. *wink*

OK, acetone as a last resort, but spot check it first!!

Other than that, get some plastic bondo scrapers, sharpen them, use whatever chemical loosens the crap the best and scrape useing elbow grease...

B

yeah.. so tried: alcohol,goo gone, lift off, and gasoline all to no avail, this stuff is really on there. also, any good advice on scrapers that wont hurt paint?

Tried brake cleaner?

Seriously, ever tried to take off the residue that duck tape leaves on paint if it has been there over a week? Brake cleaner will take it right off, might work for you're situation too.

If you try break cleaner make sure there's no plastic molding around tho. As for scrappers, you can buy a decal removal kit at UAP/NAPA. They have scour wheels that are safe for paint and plastic razor blades.

WOW, never heard of eraser disks... I'll check it out.

lighter fluid. the kind you put into wick and zippo lighters. the best @!*% on earth, i tell you what.

Sheit, totally forgot about that. Ronsonol lighter fluid, contains naptha, excellent for removing labels, tar grease and oil stains.

My contractor neighbor had walked through linolium glue and the bottom of his boots were a mass of adhesive. Naptha was the only thing that made any difference but didn't eat the rubber. Don't know how paint safe it is though, but it's pretty cheap. *shrug*

B