Timing belt rant...

Extreme90path

Well I just finished up doing my timing belt/tensioner and coolent pump on the pathy. Filled it up with coolant and guess what, it is leaking right out of the timing belt cover. :( I am an idiot. I have been working on this for the better part of 2 days, and this morning I installed the pump, and I am guessing that I didn't get the gasket lined up right or somthing along those lines. -thnkboutit- So sense there now is coolant that has touched my Tbelt should I replace it again even though it is new? What do you guys think.

Yeah, they say that if the belt gets coolant on it it will degrade the belt and it should be replaced. sad.gif

this is very true...i know from experience...i had a bad water pump and the belt wasnt due and i was 17 and didnt have the $ at the time to do everything so i just did the pump and about 3 months later the belt popped on me and ate 3 valves...

go and buy one at the store...then take the old 1 back and tell them that u didnt need it :X

ok will do. But the bummer thing is the one I got came in a sealed package (in plastic) that said if seal is broken yatta yatta you know the rest. Damn it. Welp, I guess that means another new belt. ARG.

I know it sucks, but the $20-$30 spent on another new belt is a bit of insurance against possible major engine damage a few miles down the road... not to for get the piece of mind it offers :aok:

Agreed Redpath but still I am pissed at myself for not doublecheckin the gasket before I buttoned it all up. El well, that's how things go, at least I will get it right this time. Sorry for the rant. But somtimes... xD

this is very true...i know from experience...i had a bad water pump and the belt wasnt due and i was 17 and didnt have the $ at the time to do everything so i just did the pump and about 3 months later the belt popped on me and ate 3 valves...

go and buy one at the store...then take the old 1 back and tell them that u didnt need it :X

That is a great first hand account despite your loss. Sorry, but who ever should listen :contract: :eek:

An old mechanics trick, 3M yellow weatherstripping cement. A thin bead on the pump place the gasket on the pump wait a couple of minutes and you will not have to worry about the gasket slipping. Even silicone or a grease will help hold the gasket in place.

I know it sucks, but the $20-$30 spent on another new belt is a bit of insurance against possible major engine damage a few miles down the road... not to for get the piece of mind it offers :aok:

17 bucks at autozone. just changed mine last week. took all of 3 hours