Any feedback on Cabela's Earth Anchor?

delavoie

Anyone know if this will really work well? I have looked at the pull-pal system and it seems very well designed and sure to work.

If anyone has any feedback on this product, let's hear it!

i523082sn01.jpg

Truck or ATV stuck without a tree in range of your winch cable? Boat beached with no place to tie off to? These are the kinds of problems the Earth Anchor eliminates. Outfitted with an integrated slide hammer and easy-to-use foam-covered handles, just hammer it in and then hammer it out when you're ready to be on your way. Welded eyelet makes hooking onto your anchor rope or winch cable a snap. Earth Anchor is a must for any off-roader or boater.

Measures: 27-1/4"L x 5-1/2"W.

Cabela's Earth Anchor

88pathoffroad has something along the lines of that strapped to the front of his truck. I think is is specially for sand and loose dirt. it's like a 4' long bar that you can pound or screw into the ground and hook your winch to it.

It doesn't dig very far into the soil and that thing looks deadly if it ever suddenly ripped loose from it's anchoring :wacko:

Edited by skrillaguerilla

My bar is more for prying rocks or trees out of the way, but yes, it can be used in the sand. That thing is damn near immobile when you pound it down to the eye in sand. It used to be a 4' utility pole anchor. I cut the spiral steel anchor end off and chisel-tipped it.

That Cabela's thing doesn't look all that strong...and they don't specify a weight rating on the website. I wouldn't really trust that thing to hold the weight of a 4200 lb Pathy stuck in the mud. A quad, sure, but not a Super Duty like they have in the picture. :P

I've been thinking about making my own land anchor too, should be a fun project.

that's what i was thinking.. it doesn't seem to dig down enough. Just wondering if anyone ever seen one in use. For $50 it seemed like something handy to have.

Any other devices on the market besides the Pull-Pal?

That thing looks like it would be good for ATV's and maybe to "help" trucks in the snow like pictured but I do not think it would do you much good in the mud. Then again you never know...

My fear of any kind of "anchor" like that is if it were to let go under tension. Ive seen the hole a broken hook can leave in a hearest (and the front and back windows), can you imagine waht something that size would do? :hide:

Don't laugh just b/c this came straight out of Big D's trailer park but try...

This guy here

Use your 4-way as handwheel, screw in ground 15 deg opposite from pull point. Tie tow strap around head of anchor to pull against. Works great in Mud, Sand, and Hard Ground. Probably inaffective in rocks or Ice.

Save $40.