Alternator/Battery Upgrades

I installed some cheap princess auto fogs in my bumper today... My vehicles came WITHOUT fogs, so I'm wondering if the extra load is bad for the alternator, and if I plan to add more later on if a battery or alternator is needed... Tips?

I'm not using the lights at the moment. I can hear the alternator change its sound when the lights are on. 2x 5" 55w H3 bulbs. I'm getting a steady 13.9-14.2volts from it as usual.

I've been running a big winch for the last 2 months and haven't had a single problem. Still have a cheap battery and stock alternator. I've been waiting for this battery to die (expected it to happen right away) but it's still going strong. :blink:

I recommend installing the Quest alternator (see the How-To section for a write-up). They come in 110A and 125A varieties. I had my stock alternator tested and it was only putting out 45A when I swapped in the Questy.

Then again, I do have a lot of aux lights, and a pretty big stereo....

what year is yours? I have an 02 and a while back as i was looking at the alty swap post i called a local rebuilding shop to see if there were any options other than jy altlys and was told i already have a 110 i think he said stock so there was no need. if im talking out my rear im sure someone will let me know :)

The factory alternators on the VQ35 Pathfinders have a rated output of 110A.

The factory alternators on the VG33 Pathfinders have a rated output of 90A.

The factory alternators on the VG30 Quests have a rated output of 110A.

The factory alternators on the VG33 Quests have a rated output of 125A.

My fogs are temporarily wired into my lowbeams. I drove from Calgary to Grande Prairie last night and the alternator had no issues and the engine started in the morning, so cheers guys!

When it stops raining out, I'll probably rig them to a switch in the dash... which brings me to some more questions. I'll start a new thread.

The factory alternators on the VQ35 Pathfinders have a rated output of 110A.

part of me thought somebody was going to tell me that whoever told me that was full of it and i was so wrong, hehehehe yay :)

Edited by Jarsiff

yes but i just remembered while reading that i actually called J&S starter and alternator supply to see if there were upgrade options so i could compare prices and stuff, and didnt actually look one up. feels a little silly having the fsm on my desktop and forgetting to check it, LOL

I would definitly suggest an Optima battery, it is the best choice for any pathy owner. I have a friend that has had 2 in his Mercedes motorhome turbo diesel(366c.i. 24v starter) for over 7 years with countless recharges and still work like they did when they were new. Interstate owns Optima, Interstate is by far the best battery manufacturer and I would not put anything else in my vehicle.

It seems like Optima has gone downhill. The batteries used to be great, but I've read too many stories about brand new ones coming off the production line not holding a charge.

I do like those Odyssey batteries though. The amp output on them is pretty impressive, even at freezing temperatures.

Here is what XPOLRx4 sent me a while back regarding his battery setup. Thanks again :D.

The blue and yellow are chemically identical. The only reasons I bought the blue top are because the terminal layout on the bluetop meets my needs better and it was available for a great price at Costco.

The reason why I have the second battery is because I have a lots of electrical accessories (inverter, lights, and other electronics) and a 12-volt Waeco freezer/fridge which I frequently use when camping in remote locations, and on occasion I have drained my Optima enough that it won't start the engine.

For wiring the second battery, I used a Hellroaring BIC-95300A battery isolator that's mounted just beneath the fuse box behind the battery. Hellroaring provides detailed instructions on how to wire the second battery.

Finally, the reason why I selected the Odyssey battery as my second battery is because it was the only one that would fit in my engine compartment without having to relocate other parts. When my custom rear bumper is finished, it will open up space where the spare tire used to be, and I may install a second Optima there, replacing the Odyssey battery.