Dog lovers

canucklehead

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or just toss'em in. Swimming is a instinctual responce, they'll be fine. That's how I thought my dogs and they love swimming.

Not with a German Shorthaired Pointer!!

They got no fur man! They are bred for upland bird hunting not retrieving ducks. If you are not careful, they will become water shy.

:)

Canucklehead, Is that dog pointing in the picture? That's a nice pup and I sure like to see them lock up like that! :clap:

You can get a bird dog to swim. My dad has an English Setter pup and they hate the water, but he takes him with us when my brother and I take our labs to the lake. He takes a silly or something he likes to retrieve and starts by throwing it just a few feet in the water. He only has to go where he can still touch the bottom. Then he puts it deeper and deeper until he has to swim.

He goes in and swims, but he sucks at it. Occaisionally we have to go in after him. It helps if its on a hot day and they want to cool off.

I have heard that the GSP's are the some of the best swimming bird dogs.

Where do you live? I didn't see it on your profile.

She just turned 1. At first she was affraid to get a bath, but now she likes that. I think the warm water is the problem, we have a cabin on a lake and the water is right off of the mountain. The first time we took her there this year she actually walked right in, but when the water got to her belly she ran out, so I went in up to my knees and I started to go knumb, so figured the cold water was the problem.

I think that if I keep working with her in the same fashion she will eventually get it. I want to get her into the Big Air Competitions.

Canuck, that is a great looking dog. My avatar is our GSP at 5 weeks. And this photo is of her at 7 months pointing at snow flakes.

post-1-1087484372.jpg

Thanks!

The dog is on point in a couple of those pics there. He is an incredibly driven hunter but we don't have a lot of places to hunt birds here so we hunt cats! LOL!

Just a poke at the cat people!

Seriously though, I don't hunt with him, but I used a lot of the same techniques to train him and use what is called a Kong on a Rope as a "bird". Works great! It's got a little scent pad (sponge) in the center and I put pheasant scent on it. I only take it when we are out and about and play bird hunting "games" with it.

Oh yeah, I am in Canada, eh!

Just north of the good folks in Washington State. A small part of the "City" of Surrey called Cloverdale.

:beer:

Surrey is a great city, used to go up there to play soccer.

Kongs are the best toys out there.

We don't hunt Elli either. She points at anything that moves. She found a nest of Chickadees (sp?) in the field next to us and had a hay day chasing them cause they were too young to fly. She trys to get our cat to play but has none of that. She found a rabbit the other day, that was funny has hek.

My cat settles for *hunting* my sock-covered feet when I walk around the house. :laugh:

LOL and I'm sure those little teeth don't stop at the fabric. I had a cat for 18 years before she died. She loved to play 'scare the crap outta daddy'. She'd hide under my bed and when I got up in the morning, she'd grab my ankle, slip in a quick bite, and run like bejeebers. Other times, she'd be hiding and pounce out at me, then run. I got her good one day though. She was napping in one of those upright positions like only a cat can do and I snuck up behind her without being noticed. I flopped forward and slapped my arms on the ground on each side of her and barked at the same time. She launched about 3 feet up and 10 feet out... which became a problem since she was at the top of a flight of stairs when she did it. I must say, she did manage to land on her feet (at least initially) about 10 steps down. Then it got ugly as she tumbled her way to the bottom, trying to look like she was in control and meant to be looking like a rag-doll in a dryer. When she reached bottom, she whipped one of those "just wait until your asleep" looks at me.

Here's our dog Maggie, I don't have a more current picture than this at work, so here she is at about 6 months old (She's 2 1/2 now):

Definately a cutie. :clap:

• 5 weeks later...

i am a veterinarian.... have your dog/cat neutered, its healthier for them and reduces strays.

Oh yeah people should have to take a test to get a liscence for pet ownerhip... actually that should also apply to having children.

:aok:

i am a veterinarian.... have your dog/cat neutered, its healthier for them and reduces strays.

Oh yeah people should have to take a test to get a liscence for pet ownerhip... actually that should also apply to having children.

Easy now, people pay the vet bills and their children get pets and do the same. ;)

I know what you mean though.

I waited 20 years to get my pup and he is neutered. Kind of felt sorry for him though...

It's a guy thing I think. LOL!!

just 'stirrin the pot', so to speak. The board has been a bit quiet lately. Heck, it's not like I'm taking open shots at all those texas lowlifes out there. That's be like huntin' a hamster with a 12-gauge.

:aok:

Hey dnodog... do you know much about Cushings Disease? My local vet thinks my 9-year old lab MAY have it due to a lack of urine concentration. Her drinking is normal and she does not need to go out any more frequently than she did before. She doesn't have any other symptoms that I can tell that aren't simply a result of being 9 (a little slow getting up, a little achey after playing hard with her sister, stuff like that). Is my vet out of her mind or should I go ahead with the low-dose dex test and rule it out? It'd be another $150 out of my pocket that I could certainly use elsewhere. Everytime I take my younger dog to her cardiologist, is sets me back double that.

• 1 year later...