Need to have "service engine soon" light checked

RWC5S2

For no apparent reason my "service engine soon" light came on. I just had the oil, filter, transfer case, both diff's and tranny serviced with all new fluids. I heard that one of the major auto parts stores will plug in a computer unit to see what is wrong. Does any one know if this is true and, which store will do that?

Auto Zone not reading codes in the peoples republic of california would make sense. This state sucks with all the wacko's running the show. I will try the procedure mentioned and see what happens.

theres a few stores around here that will read codes autozone, knechts, a napa or two and i think schucks will too, also at any of those part stores you will occasionally see one of the simple obdII code readers for like 29 or 39 bucks. It wont define the code for you but it will read and erase I love mine and i read codes for guys at work sometimes too its a good buy. the free methods work great like the one for the maxima where you take down the blinks in order but the scanner will keep you from having to crawl under the dash when you dont want to.

I live in CA and i've never had a problem renting an OBD2 scanner from autozone for free.

As a matter of fact, I rented one 2 days ago and pulled a P0403 evap system failure.... reset the light and no SES anymore.....

I live in CA and i've never had a problem renting an OBD2 scanner from autozone for free.

As a matter of fact, I rented one 2 days ago and pulled a P0403 evap system failure.... reset the light and no SES anymore.....

I haven't seen the links in a while but from what I remember Autozone was sued in California and no longer read and erase OBDII codes for free in that state only. Sounds like they got around that by renting the tool for free and letting customers do it themselves. Good to know.

I just spoke with my local Auto Zone in Moorpark, Ca. Basically they rent you a $170.00 dollar scanner so you can scan the system. When you get the code they refund the deposit, tell you what the alleged peoblem is and send you on your way, unless you buy the replacement part, then they send you on your happy way.

If you use the scanner in their parking lot, you don't even need to leave a deposit.

I just let them hold my drivers license and a credit card, they don't charge anything, they return them when you give the machine back.

On the topic of trouble codes, mine has been throwing a P0477 (Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Open) since about Xmas. I reset it once in a while, but I think I'm about ready to tackle the problem. I have heard that a bad gas cap or leaking suction line will cause this code. Any other advice? Fuel consumption is up, power seems to be down a hair (I could be imagining it). I'll change the fuel filter whenever I install my bumper.

That'd be my guess, unless its somewhere crazy on the VQ r50s.

actually they do, lol, its up in front of the rear axle...front of the tank. definately an odd place to put it but if your going to be there for a bumper anyway id do the same thing :)

Ain't it just the way things go. I pull into the Auto Zone store, get the unit and go back to the car. The "service soon" light went out and no error codes came up. I am happy there was no problem but was rather surprized at what happened.

Well, the SES light came back and I stopped by the Auto Zone. Imagine my embarassment when the code told me to tighten the stupid gas cap. Geez, 1 click short and the system has a melt down.