ACK OMG!11

Jarsiff

ok so were driving around town today and give her the throttle to get through a light, not floored but like half throttle, and i get this loud ass ticking noise from under the hood so of course i freak and pull over with the quickness ;) the first thing i notice is that the radiator and fan support on the top is loose so i thought maybe the fan is touching something...finger tighten that start it up and the noise is still there, seems to be coming from the rear driver side of the engine so again OMG what if its a valve but the sound has a delay from the rpms so i start thinking exhaust, maybe i popped a bolt or a weld or something so as i decided to try to limp it home (only a few miles through town) it suddenly stopped..... there were no unusual engine sounds or anything except the noise no CEL nothing was out of the ordinary so did i have some chunk of crap pass through the valves and eject through the exhaust? did I lose a front cat? is the motor going to fall out on my way to work? hehehe just wanted to see if something like this has happened to any of you or if you might have some thoughts or suggestions for me.

The choice seems simple to me. Forget about it until it happens again. Or y0ou could take it in and let some yahoo tellyou that you need 1500 bucks worth of heads,cams,lifters etc. Unless you are noticing something like a loss of power I would not be too concerned with it if it is running fine now.

yeah just forget about it lol.

heh i dont know if I feel better now or worse...lol its really odd drives perfectly normal now. oh well i guess i'll just keep an ear out but it does strike high on my weird shat o meter :)

Edited by Jarsiff

yeah just forget about it lol.

I don't think you should forget about it at all...what you SHOULD do now is monitor the sh!t out of your oil level, as in every fill up, after highway drives, hard driving, etc.

I would also have a buddy drive behind you a few times while you give it some good gas to downshift a gear, to see if there's any cloud of smoke coming from the tail pipe.

Sounds fishy to me, esp. with the power valve issues 3.5's have been known to have. Keep us updated :aok:

the oil im already on top of and level hasnt changed at all, i didnt think about the pipe check i'll do that tonight. whats this about the power valve issue?

if its something internal then you're screwed anyways. If anything it could be your starter solenoid getting stuck and hitting the flywheel. that made a LOUD ticking sound. Mine was doing that forever until I got really annoyed and put a small washer on the starter bolts.

I don't think you should forget about it at all...what you SHOULD do now is monitor the sh!t out of your oil level, as in every fill up, after highway drives, hard driving, etc.

I would also have a buddy drive behind you a few times while you give it some good gas to downshift a gear, to see if there's any cloud of smoke coming from the tail pipe.

Sounds fishy to me, esp. with the power valve issues 3.5's have been known to have. Keep us updated :aok:

You should be monitoring the oil level that often anyway.

well i do, but i didnt want to seem in any way ungrateful for any advice or opinions i get :)

that starter noise? could it be mistaken for a valve tick? it was VERY loud and like i said it was coming from the driverside rear of the engine compartment.

How many miles on the engine? Did the tick go up and down with the engine RPM? Personally I think its kinda hard to distinguish where the tick is coming from in an engine bay, especially if things are loud and it can be coming from anywhere back there. lol

its only got 72k and some change on it, the tick sped up and slowed a little with the rpms but the volume stayed pretty high then just stopped.

also had a friend follow me home from work today and said he didnt see any smoke from the pipe at all thats with me flooring it under load to about 50 and then revving it a bit at a stop in neutral i didnt rev above 3k though just doesnt seem smart to me with a truck. ;)

still no loss of power or other noises to report and the upper radiator support is nice and tight now.

Edited by Jarsiff

ok well now i am starting to feel better about it, thats not a problem at all. if it acts up again theres a place here in town that will rebuild it for fairly cheap and they do great work. thanks for beating this around with me guys i really appreciate it :) i'll keep ya updated.

:beer::aok:

that same exact thing happened to my 93 and it just stopped. I checked oil, fine, we just filled up with a tank of hi test gas and a few bottles of STP. never had a problem since.