Coolant leak...

N6VMO

My '88 SE V6 has developed a small coolant leak somewhere under the outlet flange. It is very difficult to locate the source.

But, it does stop leaking shortly after the engine warms up. Is this a normal issue with Pathfinders?

Thanks.

N6VMO

My '88 SE V6 has developed a small coolant leak somewhere under the outlet flange. It is very difficult to locate the source.

But, it does stop leaking shortly after the engine warms up. Is this a normal issue with Pathfinders?

Thanks.

N6VMO

I know a coolant leak is not normal. Maybe I should have phrased that question better.

Is this normal or known failure in a Pathfinder?

Check for bad hoses, loose hose clamps, or the water pump weep hole. The weep hole will leak coolant when the waterpump is bad. Thats when you know to change it.

The weep hole will leak coolant when the waterpump is bad. Thats when you know to change it.

:contract:

If your's is bad, might as well get ready for a timing belt at the same time ;) .

sounds like a w/p to me if hes saying the output flange is where the fan bolts up...b/c thats right where the weep hole is...when mine went bad it only leaked after city driving but on the highway it never leaked i guess it stayed cool enough to not build up pressure to blow by...

i'd do cam seals as well, possibly the tensioner and valve cover gaskets (i found loosening the rocker arms does make the job a lot easier as suggested in the manual) and a couple of other miscellaneous things (i cant think of them right now)