Clarification on Auto Hubs

Zilverado

OK, so I've driven our '92 for close to 10 years, but have never done any serious off-roading (wife got stuck in a ditch once), so I've never put the 4wd through any serious workout, but...

In recent discussions on this forum, regarding the benefits of manual vs. auto hubs, it was mentioned that auto hubs actually disengage when going in reverse. I realize reversing unlocks the hubs once the t-case has been disengaged, but I did not realize that they actually unlock each time you move in reverse, even with the t-case engaged - - maybe explains why the wife got so stuck in the ditch (unable to back out).

Anyway, sorry for the stupid question, but it's just one of those things I never realized before. And just when I thought I knew everything...

I love learning. :aok:

Well, you dont have to go into reverse to disengauge them. I have been rolling forward in nuetral and they would unlock. The problem lies with engauging them. The reason I got manual hubs is because I was on a trail in 2wd and got stuck on a muddy incline. I put it in 4lo and it didnt engauge the front. I rolled backward then forward to engauge them and the POW! They engauged without breaking anything but that was not good to do more than once. The manuals I lock in and walk away. No compliants of them at all. Well maybe having to replace the stupid weak studs they send with the hubs. Mine broke while installing them. Oh, and they look good to.

They actually don't dissengage totally in reverse. It's a momentary dissengage. Hence the cluck. Think of your hubs as having a "neutral", for the sake of layman term, in between forward and reverse. For that 1/4 turn or so that when the wheel changes direction the hub goes from engaged to dissengaged to engaged in the other direction. Yes they do suck, but they will engage in both directions.

Denis

They actually don't dissengage totally in reverse. It's a momentary dissengage. Hence the cluck. Think of your hubs as having a "neutral", for the sake of layman term, in between forward and reverse. For that 1/4 turn or so that when the wheel changes direction the hub goes from engaged to dissengaged to engaged in the other direction. Yes they do suck, but they will engage in both directions.

Denis

Good explanation.

But just to add, It works on a basic cam theory and just has to ramp the other way.

If they do not lock at all in reverse, then somebody put them to gether wrong

The suck gutter monkey's!

100 bucks new life time warrenty manual hubs, problems solved.

Thanks for the explanation. It's just weird how I've never noticed this before. We've spent most of the winter (quite snowy) in 4wd and always reverse up the driveway and into the garage. The shifting of the hubs has never been noticable. I definitely hear the "clunk" when they unlock going back into 2wd, but not staying in 4wd.

Go figure...

most ppl wont hear it. You wont hear it if your easy on the throttle. they "clunk" when you are heavy on the gas. lots of power making them slam into gear.

like said before, the hubs lock going into forward, unlock for a second going into reverse. lock back up. then when you go back to forward motion they unlock for a second and then lock back up. they dont just unlock going into reverse. they unlock when ever your direction is changed.

Maybe I'm alone here, but I've never had any issues with my auto hubs.

I've been through mud and snow, and some off roading (mostly trials and stuff) and have never had then unlock or lock when they weren't supposed to.

Maybe that's something I need to think about though.

Your not alone when it come to them always operating the way they are supposed to...

But they do go from locked to unlocked and back to locked when you change direction while in 4WD... it's just the way they work.

• 5 years later...

Maybe I'm alone here, but I've never had any issues with my auto hubs.

I've been through mud and snow, and some off roading (mostly trials and stuff) and have never had then unlock or lock when they weren't supposed to.

Maybe that's something I need to think about though.

x2, my 96 manual trans se has never unlocked on me that i know of. no bang even when hard on the gas. "shrug"

x2, my 96 manual trans se has never unlocked on me that i know of. no bang even when hard on the gas. "shrug"

Holy thread revival! BUT, to clarify, your 96 does not have automatic hubs. the R50 got drive plates, which make the front axles turn even in 2wd, whereas when a WD21 (87-95) is in 2wd, the front axles do not turn. It's a better design than the auto hubs of the WD21 series (in terms of soccer mom operation, the 2wd to 4wd is a lot more seamless!), but it causes more wear and tear on the axles, and takes a few points off your gas mileage.