what are the toughest/strongest tires?

glenn

My pathy was brought to it's knees this weekend by [no joke] a cactus thorn thru the sidewall of my BFG AT KOs. I'd heard that BFGs had weak sidewalls but this is ridiculous. Can anyone rec. strongest tire? I'd like a radial and something with tolerable street noise.TreAD PATTERN DOESN'T MATTER AS TRACTION W/ ATs WAS ALWAYS ok for S. Cal deserts. Please help. THANKS !!---glenn

a cactus thorn thru the sidewall of my BFG AT
That will kill alot of tires... we have a tire review thread pinned around here some where... I do not beleive any of them address the Cactus problem though :wacko:

I agree that BFG sidewalls are wimpy, but cactus thorns are tough and sharp. At high speeds and with the right amount of bad luck a big cactus thorn will penetrate almost any tire. I thing that the BFG A/T has the best sand tread pattern out there for average consumer tires. More aggressive tires tend to dig more.

Mickey Thompson Baja Belted are great in the sand but I cannot vouch for their sidewall strength.

Good luck

Edited by JeffW

Yeah A/Ts have weak sidewalls typically 2-ply. Maybe try Mickey Thompson MTZ 3-ply but expensive, MTRs 3-ply and expensive, ProComp Xterrain but you have to specify 3-ply, ProComp *NEW* Xtreme M/T 3-ply, and then of course Super Swamper line-up are typically 6-ply and up but they are also heavier (try Truxs MT). Just shop around for deals. Good Luck.

Explain to us Mudrats down here how a cactus spur punctures a side wall. Was it on the tree or just picked up from the trail? Does the spur stay in the tire like a nail? That would be a photo worth posting. Never seen a cactus spur in person, so it's hard to appreciate their ruggedness. In S/E louisiana the toughest plant life is the Palmetto. Hardly a match for any side wall.

I'll work on pics later;Don't know when it happened but probably when I ran over /backed into something;it's a spike like a nail;but you know while I can understand an iron nail being tougher than steele belted radial I have a hard time excusing a thorn taking it down; Guys, your advice is very helpful ,pPLEASE KEEP YOUR IDEAS COMING !! THANKS ! --glenn

Thanks alot guys;my research has uncovered a few possibilities; DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE WITH THESE?

1. Pitbull "growlers"

2.Procomp "Extreme MT"

3.Pirelli Jones" Dirt Grips"

THANKS !! -glenn

A couple things to keep in mind:

- Don't confuse ply "ratings" with actual plys when shopping. Modern belts are so much tougher that a modern 2 ply is as tough as an old 6 ply tire. Hence, they are now ratings. A "6 ply load C rated" tire may actually have only 2 plies, or it may have 3 - like the STT. You'll need to do your homework to know what you're getting.

This is so true. My Hankooks are rated as a 10 ply, but actually only have 5 (this is stamped on the side wall, so look for it on any tires you are shopping). And the tread ply rating does not apply to the sidewall rating, that is separate, so you need to look for that as well.

The newer Cooper STT's should be looked at. The sidewalls are designed to be extra tough.

ia gree with martin, i had ordered (3 days ago) some kumho MT KL71's until i found out the wait was 3-5 MONTHS. :huh: my second choice were the cooper STT's. which i saw in person yesterday, fell in LOVE and will be purchasing them this week :bow: they are knarly. expensive, but KNARLY.

~~> tire review thread http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5948

Nope.

Toyo are Japanese and known for being well engineered and of very high quality construction (very round and well balanced).

Kumho are Korean and known for being cheap.

Interesting data point... Was your experience with the new Cooper STT we're referring to, or a different model? And what kinds of flats? Bead failures? Sidewall puntures? Tread punctures? What was causing the punctures?

I ask because I've run many sets on several vehicles (240SX, van, F-350, pathy) over the last 15 years and have not had any issues with them. If the STT's are not as tough/reliable as I am hoping, I want to know now, not 40 miles north east of Gerlach, Nevada. (A mapquest or Google Earth search will reveal why I care!)