Yet another exhaust stud question

Animal

Well, I finally started putting the replacement parts on I've had laying around; complete new clutch assembly, including flywheel, rear main seal (reason for new clutch), Pacesetter headers (I know I should have bought Thorelys, but had these before I knew better) with added flanges to crossover pipe and oil filter relocation kit. Starting the front and rear steering and suspension parts tomorrow, but ...

I installed the new exhaust studs and (here's where it gets bad) the one on the rear passenger side stripped in the head when tightening the header flange.

Dreading the prospect of the heli-coil route, we seem to have fixed the problem. Now I have a question. I have looked in all the books, searched high and low and can not find the answer so ... how are the studs supposed to go? There are short and long thread ends. The ones I removed were short thread in the heads, but measuring, we discovered the threads in the head are long enough for the long end and considering that this is into aluminum, it would seem best to have as much thread as possible. However, that is not how the old ones were installed, so I am wondering if they were not installed correctly. Putting the long thread end in the head, with a little liquid metal for good measure, held well enough to tighten the header flange, but I am left wondering if the other 11 are installed correctly and if so, what logic, if any, is behind using fewer threads into aluminum heads?

i don't remember for sure but i think the short end does go in the head... my reason for this is because if you put the short side out the nut may bottom out on the non-threaded portion of the bolt before tightening...

but maybe someone else can chime in to verfiy or correct me.

Thanks all for the quick replies. This is what I thought (and am use to), but normally the heads are not drilled and threaded deep enough for the longer threads. Other engines I have worked on have a bigger difference. This is why I started to question this in the first place. Since the non-threaded portion is the same depth regardless, they will tighten up either way.

I guess I'll leave them as is and be satisfied. :shrug:

I figure if they fit in the heads the way you put them, and you were able to tighten the flange down, you have nothing to worry about, and your logic of having more threads in the aluminum head is valid to me. I'd say whether or not it was SUPPOSED to be done that way, yours may be the better way. :shrug:

With the Pacesetter headers do you still need to relocate the oil filter? And how muc better are Thrleys VS the PAcesetters? Good luck with your project! :beer:

After doing the filter relocation, I would recommend it even with stock manifolds. Oil changes will be that much easier and the larger filter and additional oil capacity that much better for the engine.

From what I have read here and on other forums, the Thorleys are better made. I have no experience with them but can say the Pacesetters, though functional, do not appear to have been made with pride. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I had no choice but to get the thorleys, as i live in california. and pacesetters are not carb approved.

I have photos of my header install nightmare and oil filter relocation here.

oil filter relocation is not really necessary with the thorleys but recommended if you do not like oil dripping all over the starter and rear of the oil pan.

thorley install pics. select view now on page

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/Al...165/t_=88532165

oil filter relocation pics select view now on page

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/Al...165/t_=88532165

Mark

Guest SuperSon

I would say thats an excellent place for the oil relo kit. no drips on the engine bay come time to replace it and since youre going to be underneath there anyway to remove the drain plug. You could probably fabricate an aluminum cover for it tho so rocks or what have you doesnt damage that filter. I like that spot :clap:

well if you have a manual transmission. Automatic transmission may pose a problem since they are a little wider.

Dual filters are a nice touch as well

Mark

Edited by msavides