What's Up

Hey everyone. I'm new here as you can tell. My name's Bob. I'm 18. I usually drive a 97 Chevy Cavalier, but with the winter and all I decided i wanted something 4WD. That brought me to a 89 Pathy. Well instead of it just being the winter beater I kinda feel in love with it.

So now I have some questions:

1. How do I tear the dash apart. I know that i just pull stuff off but everything is pretty fragile so I wanted to know the steps.

2. I know you can put a 350 in these things. Well at least I've heard. Is this like a Chevy 350?

*EDIT*- and the screen name...well i had it since i was like 12ish....just kinda stuck...lol. Not a gangster....just a redneck

Edited by gangsterchicken7

that'd be WOman.

anyway, hi. love your "name" lmao

dash: just work slowly and diligently. lot's of little screws here and there. just take your time and tug on the dash here and there to see what is holding it up. why do you need to remove it?

yeah, 350 will fit supposedly. search in the forums. someone wrote about it here somewhere. it has been a while though.

good luck and welcome.

Damn you guy respond fast...lol.

Anyway.....i'll just go and tug on the dash. Yeah i know what you mean about all the lil screws, my Cavy is like that.

So the 350 swap isn't something easily done? I thought it might have been a quick swap, but if it requires a bunch of fab work i might just stick with the 3.0.

Yeah, it's not a direct drop in, (the Chev 350) by any stretch of the imagination. Get to know your truck as is first, then figure out what you think it needs in terms of mods/upgrades.

Welcome, by the way WAVEY

ok thanks for the info. I didn't think that it would be that easy.

Yeah i need to find out what I wanna do with this thing.I dont know if i wanna build her up or just let it go how it is.

I just can't wait until it gets warmer and the mud thawls out. Fun fun fun.

But if anyone has any suggestions on what the first mod should be let me know. Anything except for stereo....My cavy has the system so this thing is just gonna be my "powerhouse" have fun mobile....lol. I'm such an idiot.

Honestly, if you're thinking of taking it off the beaten path, a good set of AT's (BFG makes probably the best AT tire) or MT tires would be the biggest thing you can do right off the bat, to get you started. There are body lifts, suspension lifts, armour, traction aids,....you name it. Again....figure out what YOU think the shortcomings of your truck are, and address them. Different people have different opinions on what should be done to their trucks, and the importance of one mod vs the next.

Well i bought it with 5 brand new tires: 31" Goodyear (T/A I think...can't remember the name right off the top of my head). Which they aren't the best muddin tires but I think that they will work for now until I really get into the sport. A lift is prolly gonna happen eventually. I think right now I just want to make the engine stronger, try and get some more ponies out of it. But I don't know where to start...i can't seem to find alot of places online to shop that take care of older Pathfinders. Btw...89 XE3.0....thought you'd like to know.

Welcome :beer:

More Ponies.... Thorleys, Exhaust Its not major ponies but it is definately better than stock... Thorleys will also eliminate that Tapping sound you have in the morning when you start it up...

But 1st I would see if there were any records of the Timing Belt being changed... and do that 1st....

Cool. Yeah man i love exhaust. Speaking of that when i start up in the morning it seems like i get alot of "smoke" and kinda stinks....maybe cat?

And I don't know about the timing chain, but i'll have to check it out. i need to get under the hood and clean some crap up but its been too damn cold to do anything.

Well i just wanted to take this time and say thank you to everyone that has posted so far and to any that my post in the future. thank you for the warm welcome and I look forward to learning alot from y'all

Honestly, if you're thinking of taking it off the beaten path, a good set of AT's (BFG makes probably the best AT tire) or MT tires would be the biggest thing you can do right off the bat, to get you started.  There are body lifts, suspension lifts, armour, traction aids,....you name it.  Again....figure out what YOU think the shortcomings of your truck are, and address them.  Different people have different opinions on what should be done to their trucks, and the importance of one mod vs the next.

if your ride has an auto tranny the first thing you should mod is the cooler for it. then work on all the other fun stuff. tires are high on the list. i recommend MTs. good bang for the buck.

I'm such an idiot.
you'll fit right in. :D will someone find him a link to the self depreciation alley please? B)

Welcome :beer:

More Ponies.... Thorleys, Exhaust Its not major ponies but it is definately better than stock... Thorleys will also eliminate that Tapping sound you have in the morning when you start it up...

But 1st I would see if there were any records of the Timing Belt being changed... and do that 1st....

even more ponie$ can be had with K&N too. :idea:

man you guys are awesome. Glad to see that I found a forum with some cool guys in it.

Tranny cooler huh? Good idea. Thanks

I'll have to take a look at the MT's.

Again thanks for the feedback

2 1/2"? is that for a V6 or 4 banger?

Make plans for the Timing belt this weekend....

BTW Im gonna flip you Sh!t until you change it..... Nothing personal, i just learned it the hardway.... $900 jdm motor, and 11 months of stewing.... After Studs and hardware, gasket set, tools, Thorleys ect....$2000

Mine blew 20 miles after installing the 3"SL and new 33's, and the alignment... About $1800 in cost... Then throw the engine on top of that.....

Edited by Casey.T

2 1/2" in my V6.. I think it's a little on the large side....If you go to the New Zealand thred you should see a pic on the 1st page at the bottomish :D .

Edited by TerranoNZ

Well i went to Utube. I think that i sounds awesome. What the whole setup?

Stock all the way to the Y pipe(headers to come)

Flexi joint damn near staight into a 500mm "COBY" resinator with chamber then into a triple flow muffler a bit of a bend out the side and that's it. Ill try and find out part # and name's, But being that this is NZ I don't know if you can get the same stuff :D