What's Up

The belt itself is relatively cheap. It's the labour to get it all done. Timing belt, tensioner, water pump and T-stat should all be changed at the same time. Check around your local shops for pricing, or, try to tackle it yourself. There's plenty of us who have done it, and can help you through.

hmm i might be able to handle it. I'll have to gather up the cash for the rest of the parts

If I can't handle it I'm sure my old man would be able to help me out. So how much of a pain in the ass is this going to be

Edited by gangsterchicken7

It's time consuming, but not THAT hard. Just take your time, especially when lining up the belt. Make sure to turn everything over by hand before starting her back up, to ensure that everything is timed properly.

The worst part, if you don't have the right tool, is getting the Harmonic balancer off. Dowser (a member of this board) and I kinda wrecked his trying to pry it off, because it was a Sunday, and we couldn't get a proper puller. You want the one that you run bolts through, into the pulley, not the jaw type puller, as the pulley can bend.

Other than that....it's not too bad. A Chilton's or Haynes manual will be helpful, if you can't find a factory service manual.

Yeah I know the puller you are talking about I think my dad has one in the garage somewhere. He's one of those old school motor head guys so I can depend on him for most things.

May you guys are very helpful....you really explain thing through unlike some other forums i've visited.