What is this?

mora2818

Torn Hose Pictures

I have a tear in this hose and maybe it is the cause of my stinky and oil dripping pathy. It sits atop the passenger side valve cover. What does this hose do?

Thanks,

Kevin

Update: Google has help me narrow this down to maybe a Valve Cover Breather Tube? Is that correct? And what does that do if that is correct?

Edited by mora2818

I had to cut and paste your links to see the pics. Apparently google doesn't allow hotlinking.

Anyway, the split hose looks like a PCV hose to me. Should be relatively inexpensive to replace with a short section of new PCV hose.

Edit: the PCV hose (or "Valve Cover Breather Tube") simply allows crankcase and valve cover pressure to be vented back into the intake manifold for burning.

Edited by XPLORx4

Strange about the pics. Firefox works fine whereas IE doesn't. I didn't bother to check because I figured it wouldn't make a difference. Maybe Google doesn't like Microsoft ;)

PCV hose, would this release exhaust fumes in the engine bay?

FF is not working either? Hmm, my account is a public web photo album link. I'll have to look into why HL isn't working.

I am off to the parts store to see if this doesn't fix my problem. Thanks for the help all. I am going to laugh my a$$ off if a $1 part fixes my pain for the last couple months.

Definetly not laughing. Whatever that did has caused leaking oil like a mother. I haven't had a chance to see where it may be coming from. But I am guessing the tear was releaving pressure that was built up somewhere else. I looked and it is mainly dripping down off the Transmission and Oil pan housing area which would lead me to believe that somewhere on the back side of the engine I have a substantial leak.

With the car running it is a constant drip...drip...drip...

Any ideas on what could possible be going on? Seems strange to me that fixing a torn PCV hose would aid in a oil leak somewhere.

Thanks,

Kevin

Yeah, I'd say the two problems are unrelated. Try to clean off all the oil underneath, and then start it up, and see if you can see the source of the leak. Don't let the hot oil drip on you though..

Edited by Simon

Actually a quick search came up with suprising results for "PCV Valve Oil Leak" indicating that if your PCV system is hosed you are going to leak oil like a mother.

So how do I replace the actual valve? I believe it is at the tube on the Drivers Side Intake next to the coolant hose?

EDIT:Found this link in a search:

http://groups.msn.com/LewisPictures/shoebo...Photo&PhotoID=6

Edited by mora2818

Replaced the PCV valve. Still have the leak. I had a co-worker take a look who is a gear head. The bad news is the leak is so prominent that he thinks the rear main seal is blown due to the lack of oil coming from any other place except dripping down the Bell Housing.

Definetly not smiling. Called a mechanic and that is going to run 11 hours to fix if that is the problem. Speaking of, what is a fair price per hour for mechanic work?

Speaking of, what is a fair price per hour for mechanic work?

Around my town:

Hacks can be had for $30 - $40/hr, but I've learned I can't afford them.

Adequate (do less damage than they repair and return it in at least somewhat better condition) are common at $50.

For someone who will care as much as I do and do it right the first time? $60 and up.

And for someone who will care enough to do it better than me? $100/hr and up. :D

New Oil Leak

Added pictures are where the oil leak has surfaced after replacing the PCV hose and valve. These pictures are taken only a couple seconds after I wiped the area clean. And from my looking around they aren't streaming down from some other area yet whatever seal/gasket that is around the housing is where the oil is coming from. If I am not mistaken that is the Rear Main Seal? The black area under it is the oil pan.

Edited by mora2818

Yup, that's the RMS. Bummer. I have a similar leak, although not as severe as what you're describing. My oil leak is a quarter-sized spot on the ground every week, but then again, I don't drive it that often.

During my last oil change, I added a some oil additives (Stop Leak and Auto-RX to help reduce the leaking. I've got to drive a few more thousand miles to really determine how well those products are living up to their claims.

Awesome. Funny how a $1 part goes and turns up into $1000. Probably just masking the real issue. Mine drips enough that I now have to check my oil level everyday and you can watch the drip...drip...drip when running. Maybe I should try one of these "thickeners".

Thanks for the help. I'll have the official word Monday when I take it to the shop.

I just had the same leak issue on my 2001 pathy. Estimate $1,200 to repair at the dealer. 10hrs of labor :wacko: My leak is pretty slow, maybe an ounce a week. Not sure if I'm even going to repair it. Let me know what you decide after you get it checked.

Well my decision is easy. Get it repaired or trade her in. I got a sweet deal on her so an equivlant would be more at least in my area. Even though it is 1k I will probably do it. The question is do I maybe have them pull the engine and do all the seals for something like 1.5k and ensure she last quite a long time. I wish I had a slow leak but I leave puddles......

I'll have to write up one of those ironic stories about how a $1 hose turns into.........

Yup, RMS leak. Front Crankshaft Seal is leaking. Both Valve Covers leaking. Although the Front and Valve seals aren't leaking that much.

So $800 for RMS. $1000 for the Front. $400 for the valves. That is a lot of dough to replace some gaskets.

Now the question to me is, 9 months ago this car didn't have a leak. Now it has many....Is there something that can occur that can cause the seals to all break down? Is it possible that somehow there is increased pressure in the engine and therefore all the seals went bad all at once?

My real concern is if I get the RMS or all of the gaskets replaced and 1 year down the road I am back in the shop for the same problem.