How did you start offroading?

deej

Everyone has their own offroading story, often it's the first that ranks right up their among the best (we've all got stuck just testing how far we could go ;) ). I think it would be cool to hear some of our members stories.

I got started after hunting many years with my Dad in a 2WD and forever having to do some shoveling in what I thought "you know, if we just had that extra 2 wheels for traction, we'ld be outta here!" My first 4X4 was a 86 Nissan Pickup ST, and was it ever awesome, I can't count the number of times I was able to throw her(I think the light blue color helped me genderize her) in 4L, 1st gear,let the clutch out, get out, shovel or push her a bit, and she'ld drive herself out of trouble. I've had 3 other 4X4's since and none have compared to the Nissan's. For years I've wanted to buy a Pathfinder and I've never regretted buying Sam(his name) since. My most memorable Sam story is:

I had just got Sam and was out at a friends farm and it had been raining quite a bit so I decided to go and "check the terrain out", I had gone down this little sandy trail a ways (a couple of miles) and needed to adjust some stuff that was floating around in the back. I got out and unlocked the power locks (so I thought) closed the door and went to the back, tried to open the hatch and it was locked. At this point I started thinking, "did I lock the doors, or open them? LOCKED! There I stood 2 miles from anywhere, in the pooring rain, with Sam running! Time to run...all the way back and explain that I never got stuck, but locked myself out of a running Pathfinder. Since then, I still do the old "double check" and see if my locks are actually unlocked.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Get a spare key and keep it in your wallet... I've done exactly the same thing... I was leaving work one night and had forgotten whether or not I locked the doors, so I got out to check and closed the door behind me... my Pathy has an issue with cold temperatures... if you slam the door the locks will lock. =)

Guest 95PathDN

I had just gotten my Pathfinder and brought her home (it is my first vehicle by the way.) Took it over to my friends and we all drove down to this spot where they first popped their wheeling cherries, just a little hill down by the beach. I'd never gone "fourwheeling" and I was climbing up the hill, cleared my front tires over the top and heard a scraping sound.

Oh was I scared. I thought I'd broken something important like one of those pumpkin things or the transfer case, whatever that was! My friend just laughed and said I only scraped my frame a little. I was so scared. I'd only had it a day or two and already I had ruined my truck! hehehe. I was still worried the next day that scraping my frame was a bad thing. :rolleyes:

Here's a pic of the hill and my friends truck

post-1-1083988644.jpg

my wife's locked my keys in our truck once but i was able to pry open the tiny window behind the driver side door (it's a 2 dr). a week ago i was up for work earlier than usual and decided to start the truck while i was getting ready . . . also decided to lock the doors afterwards. it took half an hour but me and three other guys were able to pull the door back enough to slide a coat hanger down between the door and body to jimmy the lock.

my first offroad experience with me actually driving was about 4 years ago in my old car (1986 BMW 325). i was going for a drive on a dirt road with my bro and saw a steep, challenging hill. he had a jeep at the time and tried to convince me that i couldnt make it up with my rear wheel drive car because his jeep woulda needed 4 hi to do it and that i'd high center the car. i did it anyways, made it up with out the tires spinning once. the way down was tougher, bottomed out a few times. but after that i knew i was meant for a truck.

Guest 95PathDN

Hahaha, that's great. sounds like this guy I know who does the same kind of things with his 87 honda accord until he gets the brand new taco he's been saving for (even have a pic of him flexing)

I bought my Pathfinder out of neccesity ... my old POS subaru was dieing and needed a replacement ... then after taking my new used pathy to the beach a couple of times, and up simple logging roads, I decided I needed bigger.... hehe.... thats pretty much how it began for me ...

I found this cool, steep dirt hill once, and decided to through it into 4lo for the first time. Well, that feeling of low gearing torque and being so slanted that I was staring at the sky really did it for me. I still love it everytime I put it into 4lo, I'm sure you all can relate :D

back roads in mexico, fun in a 2wd 79 f-250 longbed, but a hell of a lot more fun in a 4x4. specialy when you can go places that ford couldnt.

i loved my uncles 1989 2dr 4x4 Pathfinder. common red but the only finder ive seen in mexico since hes bought it. if there is one thing i have to say is that nissans take a ton of abuse. he had an 80s pickup that he tore the hell out of, it went thru long road trips, flood waters and being overloaded with building material. that thing kept on running. never once did it die.

I started offroading in the first beater I ever owned....a 1982 Pontiac 2000! I actually took it offroading just once...and after I smashed the oil pan and blew the engine that was the end of that. I stayed out of the woods with cars up until I bought my pathy in 98. I sure did miss driving in the woods and I'm darn happy to do so now!! :P

n0c

started with a 49 dodge power wagon, then down graded to a 78 chev 3/4 ton, when that went i had a 66 ford F100 4x4 sold that, bought a pathy, got tired of it breaking, so i SAS it, now i just need to finish..

Started with an 85 Nissan King cab 4x4 with over 200K miles when I got it. It refused to die or get stuck, and got me through the rest of college. Many road trips, camping, skiing, etc. Sold that after a couple years and 255K miles for a Honda Prelude (big mistake). Finally traded that P.O.S. for my Pathy 2 years ago and haven't looked back.

I was heading up a newly formed K9 Search and Rescue organization in southern New Mexico and I needed something to get around the desert/mountains and carry dogs and gear.

• 2 years later...

I started 4 wheel driving when I was 12, and I loved it, when I got the pathy I just started 4 xing it all the time. My most memorable 4x trip was the first time I almost rolled it, *tries to recall which time was first*, I was driving down a rough hill and one of my front tires dropped in a hole raising the back end to a very dangerous position, but after driving another couple inches forward it lowered again. Now I go back and do that hill in 2 wd, but I must say that the first time it looked very scary.

been wheelin in friends trucks for years, but when i got my 90 jeep wrangler i started DRIVING it wheeling. fell in love it wheelin and now it's my way to relax on days off. :)

I bought my Pathfinder. That's how I started offroading. :) The modification started shortly thereafter...

...can't....stop....adding....stuff....to the Pathy! AIGH!

Same story ...Different Pathfinder....Different part of the world :D

For me it started back in high school, going out wheeling in my girlfriends new 94 Pathfinder XE-V6 4x4. It was a base model with air, and manual windows, auto, and no LSD. Back then I wouldn't have know what any of that did anyway :D .

We would take it out in the hills, play in the snow, check out the extra room with the back seats down, surprisingly ALOT, take it to her cabin when there was 16 inches of snow. I guess I fell in love for the first time twice. Once with her, and the other with the Pathfinder. Funny thing is I fell out of love with her a long time ago, but the love affair with the Pathfinder is still running strong. Now not only do I have one like the one I fell in love with (except better, 95 Pathfinder SE 4x4 LSD, 5spd) but I have a brand new one to go along with it. What can I say, True Love :P

Edited by GreenEnvy94Pathy

my first time was out with my friends in my 86 toyota 4x4 turbo that i bought from my mom. went out to the power lines and had a blast. shortly after put a 3 inch body lift and 33inch tires on. a year later and a different mud pit later blew the engine. have owned and destroyed several 4x4 since. bought the pathfinder 2years ago or so and have gone out a few times but not with anybody so didn't do any hard trails just forest roads when hunting and light trails. hopefully through this site and the people close by where i live i can go more often.

I started young, nothin much else to do in backwoods North Carolina, I had an assortment of dirtbikes and four wheelers. So naturally, I got into wheelin. The pathy is by far my favorite 4x4 so far...even topping my dads old 85 dodge power ram w/ a 440 and 44's. That thing was a beast, but limited to where it could go due to the size. So yea..I love bein off the beaten path...and I've vowed to keep the pathy till the wheels fall off...then SAS it and try again.

Get a spare key and keep it in your wallet... I've done exactly the same thing... I was leaving work one night and had forgotten whether or not I locked the doors, so I got out to check and closed the door behind me... my Pathy has an issue with cold temperatures... if you slam the door the locks will lock. =)

Chit I my pathy locks itsself sometimes, so I bought one of those magnetic "Hide-a-key" boxes and hid it on the pathy. Now when she gets mad I laugh at her. :beer:

i just bought my pathy and i decided i was bored no insurance or tags. so i took it over to this little mud hole area (huge ruts and holes and mud pit like no other) i saw the hole knew about the 4x4 and heard some pretty good stories about the pathies and so i put it in 4hi and guned it from like sixty feet out. slammed into that hole and stopped. guess what i forgot about......manual hubs. lol. yea so i had to call my daddy to come and pull me out. yea for chevy i guess. never did that again. made it through that same hole about a week later got a pic with the splash going ten to fifteen feet above the top of her. sweet days i wish she had not died :( but its on to a new project and a new pathy when i can get some money.

i started wheeling in my 87 subaru gl-10 turbo 4wd wagon. i ended up lifting it a good 3 inches and put LT's on it. man, i could get through anything with that bitch. i would always pullout heep wranglers and cherocars. they hated me. but one day the fricken hood insulation fell off the hood and went on the turbo and sorta lit the whole engine conpartment on fire. that was the end of that car.

I think this summer, I might try this offroading thing... graduate from flexing out on curbs at the grocery store...

Started wheeling about a year after I got my pathy, I was sick of being a TB in my ex's Xterra.