Does anyone out there have a 4 cyl.?

Guest NissanD21man

Hi 4-banger,

You're not alone. I just bought an '87 Pathfinder E with the Z24i 4cylinder and 5-speed. Haven't driven it yet though. I got it for $100 because the clutch is bad and someone started to take the transmission out and didn't finish. I have it out now. It needs some fuel lines and some other parts, but I should have it up and running in a few weeks. Have you ever driven a V6 Pathfinder? I am curious as to how the two compare as far as torque, gear ratios and whatnot go.

post-5-1084197814.jpg

hi guys i have a z24 5 speed

twin sparky, carby

do you guys have fuel injection or carby

which drive train do you have?

hg48 or 46 (not sure on the hg bit but you get the picture)

i got the 48.... mmmmmm 4.8 gears

I had a Z24 in my 85 pickup, here its supposedly (close to?) the same engine. It definately didn't have anything close to the power of my V6 Pathy. That thing was gutless. Not sure if your older Pathy's are gutless though... maybe I'm starting another 2 door/4 door war. :P

Guest NissanD21man

My '87 4cyl is fuel injected. Instead of "Electro-Injection V6" The aircleaner says "Electro-Injection Z24" I'll look at the pumpkin and transmission tonight and check the transmission model and rear end ratio. Should be easy since the transmission is sitting the bed of my pickup right now. If my wrecked 89 SEV6 is beyond repair, and the ratio is the same, the limited slip rear and rear disc brakes might go into this 87.

post-5-1084299826.jpg

well the info on the link tells me nothing new

however i did ring a Nissan dealer and tried to find out whats going. gave him my transaxle number and vin number, here searched for ten minutes, found my vehicles vin number, told me i had the lsd axle (emphasis being on HAD..... hehehehe) not that thats news to me. but for the life of him he couldnt find the transaxle number, kept telling me i had 4.3 or 4.6 - no new news there either :rolleyes:

my transaxle number is: FS5W71C HG48 - taken straight of the vehicle id plate

the fs bit is the transmission and t case combo and the next bit is supposed to be the the diffs. but no one knows about the HG48

now a while ago while over on AC some said that the HG48 means 4.8 gears, thats why i thought what i thought, all this discussion has made me want to find out whats going on

anyways the fact that the dealer couldnt find HG48 leads me to think i still have 4.8's just that no one can find it on paper

anyone shed any light???

steve

You should have a C200 rear diff in that vehicle and according to the books, it is 4.375 for your 4 banger 4 weel drive manual transmision, from what i found, the 4 banger didn't have the 4.6's.. and as far as 4.8 gears, it they were put in, it was a long time ago and until recently the only people that made aftermarket Nissan gears was Nismo (4.88:1) and they ran about 700 bucks. so doubtful they were changed

HOLD THE PHONE, I made a mistake, the 4 banger pickups had 4.375 gears but the pathy Had 4.626's

The 4 banger only had a manual transmision and only came with 4.625 gears in the pathy.

The hard body 4 bangers also only came with a manual transmission and only came with 4.375 gears..

Sorry for the incorrect post

interesting....

just about everyone else on Nissan bb's has said hg48 = 4.8 gears, which is what i thought :)

now why cant the s t u p i d Nissan dealer have record of my path having hg48???

anyways guess theres only one way to REALLY find out........

keep ya posted if i bother getting round to it ;)

Ok i don't know whats up with the link, it doesn't seem to work. I even emailed it to myself before i posted to make sure and it was ok. But when i put it on this board it doesn't. :shrug:

So, try this. go to www.off-road.com

then go to the Nissan section. The check vehicle facts. its the first one shown.

sorry for all the BS in the post..

I think the diffenence is in the torque, i've never driven a Z24 but i did own a 95 King cab with the ka2400 and it was gutless as hell. The injection you are refereing to is a TBI,, Throttle Body Injection. this is what made the early 6 cylinders a little bit of a pain, no aftermarket, no parts, if your injectors ever go tits up you are looking at like 300 each, and in the 6 cylinder there are 2 injectors, loads of fun, but you could be lin luck, i know you can do some mods to that engine and get heeeeps of power i'll try and round up the web site on the Nissan/datsun Frankenmotors,

my 4 cyl. is a hybrid between fuel injection and carburetor

No it isn't. Mot unless somebody added it on somewhere in the past. Most of the 4-cylinder Nissan engines from 1970-1986 are solely carbureted. There was ONE Z24i fuel injected model in 1986. There would be no point in adding a fuel injection setup to a carbureted engine. They would have to add more sensors and an engine computer to run the injection system. Check your engine designation tab undedr the hood and see which one it is. If it says "Z24", then it's carbureted, if it's "Z24i" then it's FI.

Oh, and I looked up the engine output specs...this is kinda wierd.

1986 Z24: 103 HP@4800 RPM, 134 FT-LB@2800 RPM

1986 Z24i: 103 HP@4800 RPM, 134 FT-LB@2800 RPM

1986 VG30i: 152 HP@5200 RPM, 162 FT-LB@3600 RPM

1987 Z24i: 103 HP@4800 RPM, 134 FT-LB@2800 RPM

1987 VG30i: 152 HP@5200 RPM, 162 FT-LB@3600 RPM

1988 Z24i: 106 HP@4800 RPM, 137 FT-LB@2400 RPM

1988 VG30i: 145 HP@4800 RPM, 166 FT-LB@2800 RPM

ARGH, they changed the rating standards for my engine so it's lower than the two previous year models!

Hehe

My '93 Hardbody had the 4 banger and a 5 speed. I was actually shocked on how well it accelerated and the low end torque it had. Plus now a days you can't complain on how well it did on gas either. I would still have it if it had more leg room.

1993 2.4l I-4 134 hp @ 5200 rpm, 154 ft-lb. torque @ 3600 rpm

1993 3.0l v-6 153 hp @ 5000 rpm, 182 ft-lb of torque @ 4000 rpm.

Guest NissanD21man

My '90 2WD Hardbody has the KA24E 2.4L / 5speed. That truck is pretty quick and it can lay fat patch. Of course it helps that it weighs about 1000 lbs less than a Pathfinder.