Trailer wireing

Guest GotPygmy93

Guest GotPygmy93

hey i'm new to this so I'm sorry if I'm doing anything wrong. but I've been haveing some problems tring to find a trailer wireing kit for my 93 Pathfinder I got one from a local baxter's auto parts store and it fit the truck but for some reasion it wouldn't send power to my left turn signel and brake lights. then I tried the ebay mess and the sent me one that doesn't even fit am I just going to have to find a dealer to get one?

Trailer wiring is simple. Splice the new trailer wires into the correct light wire already existing inside your Pathfinder for each operation, such as turn signal, brake and running lights. Run the wiring through a grommeted hole in the rear floor near the taillight on the driver's side. You'll also need to provide a ground wire for the trailer lights. There's nothing model-specific about trailer lights.

Hey 88, don't forget. The Finder requires a box to convert turn signals and brakelights to the same leads. The converter can be found in any Walmart or auto parts store for about $10-15.

I did a hitch and wiring harness install a few months ago and did a lilttle write up about it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hitch

Read the last post from me at the bottom of the page.

Check your ground.

I bought a pre-wired harness for my 95 and a converter to go from the flat 4 way to the round 7-pin for my trailer.

The white ground of the 4-way flat was not connected to the 7 way converter.

You have to ground the white wire on the 7 pin plug.

At least thats what I had to do.

Oh, and if you are pulling a trailer, check the clearance if you have the rear mounted spare tire.

I had to remove my tire and mount to hook up my new trailer.

Good Luck.

• 1 month later...
Guest Pathy4X4

how much towing capacity is there on a pathy??

think the book says like 3500.

can you tow more if you have biger springs in the rear end (jgc, ford?)

I have some horses, I am trying to see if I cant get set up to pull a 2h trailer or sumthin, it would be like 4100- 4200 LB. for 2 horses or like lill over 3100-3200LB for 1 horse.

how much towing capacity is there on a pathy??

think the book says like 3500.

can you tow more if you have biger springs in the rear end (jgc, ford?)

I have some horses, I am trying to see if I cant get set up to pull a 2h trailer or sumthin, it would be like 4100- 4200 LB. for 2 horses or like lill over 3100-3200LB for 1 horse.

I'd say if you have the power, proper hitch/reciever set-up, and heavy suspension, upgraded brakes and/or trailer brakes, etc., you probably could go a bit over the stock specs. But there comes a point where the overall strength of the truck, length/wheelbase, stability, brakes, etc., all come together to make it unsafe to pull any more. You're Pathy will never be a Dodge Cummins/Durmax Chevy/F*rd Stroker in pulling ability.

Guest Pathy4X4

thanks! I reilize that the over all pathy WILL come to a point where it JUST cant do it, that is why I asked about it, do you think that I will have any proplems with the axle? or transmission??or other things pulling about 4100 to 4300LBs??(I obviously understand that I wont be sprotin around or anything LOL, but that's ok cuz ya need to take it eazy with livestock in the trailer anyway)

I will have a good hitch sistem put in, and trailer breaks. was allready planning on new springs to :cool2:

which springs would be better for towing? the ford or JGC?

Changing your springs will only help the tongue weight. The problem you will have is stopping the darn thing. You have a short wheel base (relatively short) and if the trailer ever starts to push, you'll be in trouble. Also, I spoke with a Nissan dealer about towing and if you ever read the specs on any Nissan, the auto's always have a better towing capacity accourding to the dealer, the reason for this is that the clutch in a manual is not up to the task of starting while towing heavy loads. I do find it hard to belive but thats what came from the horses mouth.

If your going to tow over 3500 lbs, i'd look into brake upgrades as well

Guest Pathy4X4

hmmm... kinda sounds like it isnt worth doing everything I need to, just for some dang horses. looks like I am gonna have to pick up an old truck to pull em.

a longer wheelbase gives the truck more stability when braking. It is less likely to jacknife under heavy braking. If your horse trailer is equipped with a surge brake system or better yet hydraulic brake assist, this lessens the chance of a jacknife occuring. It is imperative a heavy trailer has this especially when braking in wet road conditions. My best friend has a 22 foot boat he towed with a 2wd 1999 dakota 6 cyl. and we nearly got into trouble when slowing the whole thing down on a damp road. When he got enough money, he bought a 2500 ram with cummins powerplant (darn rich bricklayers!) which solved the sketchyness issue.

Guest GotPygmy93

I also have a problem with my reverse lights they come on when I shift it to reverse but as soon as I start to go they go out I've temperally fixed it by wireing some bolt on lights that are a lot brighter to a toggle switch but I would like to fix the problem I don't really like messing with electrcal stuff so do you have any Ideas?

Do you mean a problem on your pathy or the trailer? If it is just your trailer you might want to start a new thread. Though I found the problem you described when my switch was going bad (MT - switch attaches to housing - PITA to get out).

I also have a problem with my reverse lights they come on when I shift it to reverse but as soon as I start to go they go out I've temperally fixed it by wireing some bolt on lights that are a lot brighter to a toggle switch but I would like to fix the problem I don't really like messing with electrcal stuff so do you have any Ideas?

Is this with an auto or manual? Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. Just wondering if the switch and/or wiring it would make a difference.

Guest GotPygmy93

its on a manual it works most of the time as soon as I engauge it in reverse but as soon as I start to move they go out