Smashfindin in BC

Smashfinder

First, Id like to say hey,

Its nice to know other people love their pathies. And with just a few minutes of browsing, I can see that there is some serious rigs gettin dirt on them. Ive been inspired... So I imagine I'll be soon broke..-er

This is my second Pathfinder. The first was a beautiful, maroon 89 Smashfinder XE. Beautiul, except for the Automatic transmission, which one day didn't take kindly to the water, but I dont like to talk about it.

Now, I run a white 92 Pathfinder XE. She's Base model, so there's less to break (although I wouldn't mind the LSD of an SE or Trail Boss). Only option is A/C, which is nice. 5-speed tranny.

Well, that was how she started when I bought her a year and a half ago...

Now, she's up four inches, thanks to Trailmaster. Then She got the Calmini Torsion bars, because for some ugly reason, the TM kit didn't replace them. After that, I turned my attention went to the rear springs, and the answer was quick - Old Man Emu. Warn Premium Hubs were a no-brainer, bein as she's runnin the BFG 265s on Eagle Alloy 17x8s. Flowmaster 40 series went in soon after I bought her, and I love the sound. Speakin of sound, the Stock System was definitely not adequate (damn XE model doesnt have the rear speakers). The system in place is just loud enough to drown out the crazies that live in my head, and tell me not to spend so much money on an old Pathy.

I must admit that a lot of the work was not done by my hands. Ive done my best to learn as I go, and Ive learned alot. Most of the learning happens under the truck, not in the waiting room at a shop.

She's comin along nicely, but there's more to go. And maybe "Drunkfinder" would be more appropriate. :beer:

post-19-1168481511.jpg

Some issues im currently having...

1. Calmini Steering Kit. The part is for a 92 Pathfinder, with the Trailmaster Suspension Lift (first half of the production year, vice the 92.5) Figured that she'd go in fine, bein as she was built, according to the door sticker, november 91. Well, it didnt. The Pitman Arm didnt mate up with the steering gear assembly. Looking for imput on that, I wonder if there is a significant difference in the steering gears between a 92 and a 92.5, or if Calmini just sent the wrong part, even though it took 4 months to send.

The second problem im having is that she's running rough. Speaking of running, I gotta do the same. Ill have more info in the tech section when I get a chance. Thanks in advance, if anyone has info on the steering question

hey all

Talked to Calmini today, and yeah, the pittman arm was different. looks like the truck probably had the steering box replaced at some point, or it was just built at the beginning of the 92.5 year. Calmini is sending the other pittman arm free-Sweet.

A little more about the pathy:

She's got a Centerforce 2 clutch in there, although that might have been excessive, since the stock one was still in good shape.

Ive put on a Smittybuilt Brush guard (Black), which I got a sweet deal on. Bought it on EBay for cheap, because Smittybuilt went out of business, so everyone is liquidating their stuff. If you want a bush guard, and dont feel a need for a winch YET, i would suggest looking into it.

On the Bush Guard I put on a couple of PIAA Fog Lights, which I think are in the product review section... Very nice piece of equipment, though pricey. Ive also managed to put in a couple PIAA low profile Back-up lights. Also very sweet. Looks Like an atom bombs going off behind my truck when I switch em on. Also, they have a 3 point switch, so I choose when they are off, on, or if they come on when I put her in reverse. Again, nice toy, but a bit expensive. If you dont want the PIAA name, you might want to look to a different brand.

For Good measure, I replaced the headlight bulbs with the PIAA super-whites. Those have much more bang for their buck, and have a very nice LCF(Look Cool Factor)

The Torsion Bars do seem to stick way down, but it seems to be put together right. Theyre connected to the stock crossmember, with the TM drop-down brackets. nothin else there. Would be kinda nice, if the T-Bars were connected to the UCA's, but... Then she would look like a 4-runner. I think the bars look so low because I dont have Rock sliders on there

First thing first... Welcome to the forums SF :aok:

My understanding is that the general year that marks the steering change is 93, but it makes sense to me that some late 92's could be a part of the "large taper" family. The older trucks had what they call "small taper" It is also my understanding that the change really makes to sense, because it seems to have made not a difference in the steering other than not allowing the parts to interchange between early and late WD21's