Pathy no starty

Mr. Pickles

Woke up this morning to a no-start. pssd It turns over just fine, but doesn't even attempt to sputter or try to start. Checked the obvious fuses and they're fine, and I know I've got gas plus I dumped in a gallon or so more just to be safe, but that leads me to a question. I'm not sure I've paid attention, but doesn't the gauge come alive when you turn the key to on? Mine is below E, doesn't move, and I swear it did before (could be on crack though). If so, that would lead me toward the tank and maybe the fuel pump if they're attached. I'm hoping against spark issues of course... $. We'll see.

I dunno, just walked in the door from work and figured I'd post to fish for ideas while I go out in the driveway to poke around. Wish me luck!

Codes???? Fuel pump kick in when you turn on the key?? Move the floormat so your clutch hits the switch???

Gauge on the 91 and 95 show levels with key on or off.... upon filling it up it comes up after the key is turned on....

Ignition coil maybe? or do those years have ignition packs? Since the engine rotates but no sputtering or farting or anything like that, My first guess is ignition issue. On the other hand, if the fuel pump is kaput....then it would just rotate also with no sputters as there is nothing for the spark to ignite.

Pull a spark plug out and see if its dry or soaked with gas. Either way will tell you if its spark related or fuel.

Turning the key to "ON" and listening for the fuel pump to spin up...(dont try to start it..) If no sound from the tank/fuel pump....(and fuse is good)...then most likely fuel pump faulty.

-Chris

My guess is the wiring to your sending unit....had a similar problem a couple of years ago. The guage SHOULD move up with the key in the "on" position.

My guess is the wiring to your sending unit....had a similar problem a couple of years ago. The guage SHOULD move up with the key in the "on" position.

That was my thought exactly, so I pulled the cover off and ta-da... freshly chewed up wiring. I'm talking mangled, and nice, clean and shiny. Its looks like something got in there and chewed it all up, maybe a squirrel or something. The truck ran fine Friday, then parked it until today (Monday) when the problems came up. Great... well time to clean that up and see what happens.

P.S. I've got pics, but now the comp won't cooperate with either of our cameras. What the hell, this is definitely a Monday.

Glad you found it. It's a relatively easy fix. Rewire......weatherproof, then silicone over top to keep them dry, and deter whatever the hell ate through it, from doing it again.

Yep, I'm almost there. Just finished the wiring, and the gas gauge still doesn't work but she fires right up. At least it runs now, cause we're supposed to get snow tomorrow. Now its time to tinker with the gauge wiring again.

I knew it! DAMN YOU, SQUIRRELS!!!!! *shakes fist in rage*

*doesn't like squirrels*

(insert rodent joke here) *snicker* :laugh:

All is better, back together and fully functional. Actual price: about 10cents in butt splices. :D:beer:

Thats good that you figured it out... talk is 1-4in in the Seattle area (have not heard what those of use south can expect yet)

And for the record.. yes it (the gauge) should come alive when you turn the key :aok:

And for the record.. yes it (the gauge) should come alive when you turn the key :aok:

As I've now verified. ;) Its funny how some of the stuff you see every day can slip through the cracks.

This comp is irritating me, I want to post those pics, they're pretty funny. Maybe I'll try the other comp, but not tonight. Off to bed.

Glad to hear it was an easy fix.

What exactly do you mean by "The gauge should come alive when you turn the key?" In both my 95s the only time you see the gauge actually move is right after fillng up. The rest of the time it shows the accurate level whether the truck is running or dead. Did they come both ways or something?

In my 88 and based on Mr. P's reply it would seem in his 94 as well, the gauge dropped to empty (all the way to the left in my case) when they key is off.

When I move the key to the "Run" position (with or without starting the engine) it moves and displays the actual fuel level.

If the wiring were unplugged, I suspect that the gauge would let the needle fall all the way.

Exactly, it fell all the way to the bottom, below any level of "E" I've ever seen, like a quarter tank below E. That's why at first I thought it wasn't working when I hooked everything back up, cause I guess it was so low it needed a bit to rise up. But now all is well, I drove around today then filled up this evening, and everything is fine. I even sqeaked out 16mpg on the last tank of almost all highway. :D Between lift, tires, etc. I've been down to about 15hwy/12city.

Here is a pic of the pretty hilarious carnage. Notice all the scratch marks. I guess they little buggers didn't like me.

1-1.jpg